Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NevadaJack

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
Curious, when was this shot? I have lived in Las Vegas for over 20yrs and last month was my very first time out to Red Rock. Its nice out there, not sure what took me so long to venture up there.

This was January 22, 2010 after a overnight snowfall. It was trying to clear up but the storm continued over part of the area.

Red Rock looks different everytime I go out there. Depends on the season and the time of day. Great photo opportunities.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
780231079_9YTGK-X2.jpg

Red Rock looks different everytime I go out there. Depends on the season and the time of day. Great photo opportunities.

I like your photo - very atmospheric - and I like your attitude: it's to fun to go back and back and back to see what a landmark looks like in different light...

sculpture.jpg

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
more orbs!! still trying to get the background black, but i think it will be too difficult for this one. i don't even know how to attempt it. :(

or is it possible just to black out the square background and to see how it looks? what you guys think?

IMG_4276.jpg

Very cool, I checked out your site. I really like the painting with light thing and am very want to try it our myself. I have everything I need to do it, minus the time. How did you get the globes? Did you string up a light and swing it?

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Very cool, I checked out your site. I really like the painting with light thing and am very want to try it our myself. I have everything I need to do it, minus the time. How did you get the globes? Did you string up a light and swing it?
Red_orb_black_background.jpg

yes, as you see in this picture from page 26 post #631, it is a cleaner ORB. you have a nice bright light, and spin it like a circle. then you don't move your hand, but you keeping spinning it and spin around your hand. imagine you as the earth, and your hand as the sun. rotate around it 360.

take a look at the blog on my website for the exact tools you can use/tips.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
This was January 22, 2010 after a overnight snowfall. It was trying to clear up but the storm continued over part of the area.

Ahhh, ok. was thinking it might have been last month after that heavy rainstorm. That's when i was up there, and the joint was covered in snow.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Tequila (Tiki Tila) - a Baja rescue

Yesterday up in the woods...

Camera: Nikon D300 w/Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8
Exposure: 1/160
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 200mm
ISO Speed: 1600
Exposure Bias: -1/3 EV

ChefJayPeek

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Suburban Texas
Thanks for the comments on the lychee plate. All of our china is white, although we talked about putting that item on the menu we would probably try to get something a different color as it is too white.

I did use a flash, but not the built in one, I had my speedlight on the camera with the flash pointed up. The corner of the plate not being in the corner of the frame... that is due to me cropping the picture and not paying attention to that. One more thing to remember and think about!

I did setup a "mini" studio in the back of the restaurant, but I will have to wait until after work to post that photo so that it is tomorrow since I posted the other one today :)

Chef Jay

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
One more thing to remember and think about!

I did setup a "mini" studio in the back of the restaurant, but I will have to wait until after work to post that photo so that it is tomorrow since I posted the other one today :)

Chef Jay

I'm only an amateur too, so i feel you on the "one more thing to remember". lol, i swear i learn something new, EVERYday on this forum.

Was the lychee shot in your mini studio? Also, since you have the little setup now might i suggest different color table cloths, and if it was me i would get a some extra plates of various shapes, sizes, and colors. Had the lychee been on say a black plate i think it would have helped a lot. :)

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
(focus aside) I Can't decide if I like this shot or not

I can't really decide if I like this photo or not. First off, I really wish the bud was in focus, which is a critical error, but with my point-and-shoot, it was a little difficult. I was playing with the Color Accent feature on the camera.

Any advice for a beginner?

Device: Canon PowerShot SX210 IS
Focal Length: 57.619
F number: 5.6
Exposure Time: 1/640

How do I put the full picture in the post? If I try to attached it it limits me to a tiny 1.1 MB

Attachments

• Tulip_Blossoms.jpg
    Tulip_Blossoms.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 82

ChefJayPeek

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Suburban Texas
I'm only an amateur too, so i feel you on the "one more thing to remember". lol, i swear i learn something new, EVERYday on this forum.

Was the lychee shot in your mini studio? Also, since you have the little setup now might i suggest different color table cloths, and if it was me i would get a some extra plates of various shapes, sizes, and colors. Had the lychee been on say a black plate i think it would have helped a lot. :)

That one was taken on a tray, right before it went out to the guests. I do learn something new everyday here, which is why I feel like I am progressing, which is the whole point for me :) I do have some different color cloths for the mini studio. Cannot do much about the plates, yet. We do have several different sizes and shapes, but they are all white.

Chef Jay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.