Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
The monkey nebula

large.jpg

Pretty! What's your set up for getting shots like that? Hubble?

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Just trying out my new polarizing filter, gotta say I'm not a fan yet. Guess it will just take some time :eek:

Zig_Zag_Stair_Railing_by_drewsof.jpg

ChefJayPeek

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Suburban Texas
Jaxdialation, that is amazing. I would like to hear about your setup for that picture as well.

Here is mine for the day...

4461890930_332a9c1361_o.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/15s f/3.9 13.7mm

Chef Jay

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Wow! Love this shot, super colours and DOF and sharpness is perfect imho. Love it!

Dave

Very cool, I checked out your site. I really like the painting with light thing and am very want to try it our myself. I have everything I need to do it, minus the time. How did you get the globes? Did you string up a light and swing it?

I didn't even know SLRs had full auto. :p

Pretty! What's your set up for getting shots like that? Hubble?

^^^ Will the above posters please thumbnail quote images. Change the
tags to [TIMG] and [/TIMG]. Please see post #1 if you have questions. The tutorial on quoting images is highly recommended...:cool:

I can't really decide if I like this photo or not. First off, I really wish the bud was in focus, which is a critical error, but with my point-and-shoot, it was a little difficult. I was playing with the Color Accent feature on the camera.

Any advice for a beginner?

Device: Canon PowerShot SX210 IS
Focal Length: 57.619
F number: 5.6
Exposure Time: 1/640

How do I put the full picture in the post? If I try to attached it it limits me to a tiny 1.1 MB
^^^ Welcome to POTD, Rusty. Your photo needs more contrast between the subject and background. That would make the flowers stand out better. I know it could be a sky issue, I run into that a lot here in the Pacific Northwest. The focus thing is just something you will have to work on. P&S cameras tend to focus in whatever area they deem to be the subject and it's hard to argue with them. They are just machines, you know...:)
Keep shooting and show us your stuff. We will help as best we can.

To post the image full size, you need to have a photo hosting site like ImageShack or Flickr. You post a link here and the photo shows full size. The MR servers limit the size of images uploaded directly to them and turns them into clickable thumbnails. It's a storage thing. Have a look at the tutorials I developed for the Welcome to POTD post that opened this month. It's way back here.

Good Luck

Auto Everything. (Camera type and lens in signature.)

Constructive Criticism appreciated. :)
^^^ Nice composition. It looks a bit over saturated, though. The greens in some of the ferns look a bit artificial.

Dale

Anyone know where I can get a badge icon for when I have to play Image Cop? :cool:

ChefJayPeek

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Suburban Texas
^^^ Will the above posters please thumbnail quote images. Change the
tags to [TIMG] and [/TIMG]. Please see post #1 if you have questions. The tutorial on quoting images is highly recommended...:cool:

To post the image full size, you need to have a photo hosting site like ImageShack or Flickr. You post a link here and the photo shows full size. The MR servers limit the size of images uploaded directly to them and turns them into clickable thumbnails. It's a storage thing. Have a look at the tutorials I developed for the Welcome to POTD post that opened this month. It's way back here.

Good Luck

Dale

Anyone know where I can get a badge icon for when I have to play Image Cop? :cool:

Dale, incase i never said it before, thanks for your tutorial on posting images. Even if mine suck, you helped me learn how to use flickr.com. And the Timg tag as well.

Chef Jay

dpastern

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
The monkey nebula

large.jpg

Super shot - I presume o3/ha/si2 (oxygen 3, hydrogen alpha & silicon 2 for those that don't know anything about deep sky imaging in false colours)? What setup - scope/aperture, imaging camera etc? I've been tempted to get one of the GSO 10" RC's, but probably will wait and get a deepsky instruments 10" rc (better optical and build quality, but double the price). I really need to upgrade my mount (skywatcher eq6pro) to a AP900 or so.

Dave

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Still wild at heart...

G Knight, rescued from Baja.

Camera: Nikon D300 w/Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8
Exposure: 1/250)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 92mm
ISO Speed: 1600
Exposure Bias: -1/3 EV
Flash: -1.67 stops fill

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
This shot is a step in the right direction. Great saturation and the red is a nice accent to the red meat you are serving. There are a few things I would look at in the next shot. Modify your aperture so that the whole meal is in focus. Position the plate a little higher so that the top rim goes above the converging lines of the tablecloth. The last one is a personal preference, but the bit of fat showing at the bottom of the meat looks wormy and unappetizing to me.
I can't really decide if I like this photo or not. First off, I really wish the bud was in focus, which is a critical error, but with my point-and-shoot, it was a little difficult. I was playing with the Color Accent feature on the camera.

Any advice for a beginner?
Lots of point and shoot cameras have those multi-focus zones that highlight what receives focus. When you half press, you should see a rectangle or some visual cue on what you locked into. If you half press and use your centre to focus you can generally lock in on what you want. To change the composition, keep the shutter release half pressed and move the camera until you have the shot you are looking for.

Here is mine for today: The Bayeux Cathedral in Bayeux, France.
oz5l31

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
^^^ Wow, a dragonfly called Dave...

Nice one! :D

Canon 7D, EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5 IS @ 26mm, f/13 @ 1/400, ISO100.

780231079_9YTGK-X2.jpg

I like this photo and the features that the snow brings out. To me, the relatively barren foreground contrasts well with the colour of the sky and brings out its detail.

Similar colour palette to the picture above. The yellowed grass brings out the blueness of the sky reflected in the water much more than green grass ever could and the white (birch?) stems lift the whole picture. Lots of really good pictures posted this month. Thanks everyone!

Street market, Saint-Rémy-de-Provence

dsc0174y.jpg

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Just chillin'

4462651706_53446456f2_o.jpg

Having a yak on the ice on Three Corners lake in Northern Ontario. Just days after this photo, a spell of warm weather forced an unexpected early close to the sledding season here.

** edited to adjust exposure. I was kind of hoping the footy prints would lead into the group... but I can see this is not a fabulous capture. Thanks

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
@BarryJ it's an interesting shot but my eyes start and stop at whatever device is in the snow, in the forefront of the image. Perhaps a tighter crop on the people and a touch more light.

MaddMacs

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Flagstaff, Az
Tulum by the Beach

4461901020_5027bc44b8_b.jpg

Tulum, Mexico

Camera: Pentax K200D
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/1500)
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 26 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: +1/2 EV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.