Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
OMG I discovered multiquote!:D:D

4462429429_5bf645e3e3_o.jpg

Continuing with my theme of 3. Shot from a cruise ship outside of Miami with a Canon s90 (most of my images from this trip were shot with this camera, though there are a couple I will post created with my D700). I'll point out the DSLR shots as I post them, since in some cases they couldn't have been made with a point-and-shoot. The image I post tomorrow will serve as an example.

The three palms, the color of the water, and the movement of the car makes this a striking composition. Grabbed my attention and made me linger on it a bit more.

p961357881-4.jpg

C&C always welcome.

For a minute there I thought it was pecking itself.:D I think the logo was unfortunately placed.

You're pics have great setup, creative, and interesting. I thought the balloons were on the ceiling, then I noticed they were just hanging in midair.

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Would look familiar if you've watched 500 Days of Summer
4434539772_0cc2074164_b.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS REBEL T2i
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/10.0
Focal Length: 41 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Off, Did not fire

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Explain to me what I need to fix? I'm still in the process of learning

The white balance is off for both of the pictures. Notice how they both have a yellowish color to them? Things that are white in real-life (like part of the place mat for example) instead look yellow. Your indoor lights aren't really white and they give everything they illuminate a color cast (depending on the type of light it is usually either yellow/orange or green).

Most (all?) digital cameras have the ability to adjust the white balance to remove these color casts. With factory settings it is probably set to auto, meaning the camera tries to figure out at the time you take your picture what type of light is present. Unfortunately many cameras aren't that great at figuring it out, especially indoors. In both of these shots your camera didn't set the appropriate white balance.

Most cameras will allow you to manually set the white balance before you take the shot (there are presets for direct sunlight, overcast skies, shade, fluorescent lights, tungsten lights, etc). Alternatively you can do it after the fact in a photo editor (though it's better to get it right in the camera if you can).

In the edit panel of iPhoto there is an "adjust" button at the lower right. Clicking on this brings up a movable window. At the bottom of this window is a slider marked "Temperature." Move this around to adjust the white balance. For your two images I would try moving it to the left (blue) which will take away the yellow tint. Alternatively you can activate the eyedropper and then click it on something in the image that should be white (like the place mat). If you are using another program to edit your photos, it should have either a temperature slider or a white balance slider.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
The white balance is off for both of the pictures. take your picture what type of light is present. Unfortunately many cameras aren't that great at figuring it out, especially indoors. In both of these shots your camera didn't set the appropriate white balance.

Most cameras will allow you to manually set the white balance before you take the shot (there are presets for direct sunlight, overcast skies, shade, fluorescent lights, tungsten lights, etc). Alternatively you can do it after the fact in a photo editor (though it's better to get it right in the camera if you can).

In the edit panel of iPhoto there is an "adjust" button at the lower right. Clicking on this brings up a movable window. At the bottom of this window is a slider marked "Temperature." Move this around to adjust the white balance. For your two images I would try moving it to the left (Thablue) which will take away the yellow tint. Alternatively you can activate the eyedropper and then click it on something in the image that should be white (like the place mat). If you are using another program to edit your photos, it should have either a temperature slider or a white balance slider.
thanks for all the information. I learned something ! iwill redo both of the shots and see how they come out.

Hitrate

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Copenhagen
the one in your signature? Any post processing?

Correctemunto :p Yah just some quick touch up editing on pixlr.com (free photoshop look-alike, online= no program to dowenload and quick editing) - one of the things it has is this cool "Tilt Shift" feature to get the DOF thing going, 40% hard light screen as a layer on top, and a bit of blur and sharpening but that's about it... I'm a pure amateur but this forum is helping me with learning and getting inspiration so I think I'll start to post more often :)

MaddMacs

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Flagstaff, Az
Snake Head of Chitzen Itza

4464280194_62a902e466_b.jpg

Chitzen Itza, Mexico

Camera: Pentax K200D
Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture: f/27.0
Focal Length: 17 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 0 EV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.