Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I haz a fishes

Taken today in Northern Maryland.

Attachments

• ihazfish.jpg
    ihazfish.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 88

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Looks like he's about to blow his foot off... Selector on fire and the barrel right into his foot :eek:

Never been in the military, huh?

On the AR-15/M-16 series rifles the sear is built in such a way that you *cannot* engage the safety when the weapon is not charged[1]. That is to say that the selector lever will not go back into safe if the weapon is empty and the bolt is in a forward position with the hammer down (uncocked, uncharged, locked but not loaded, however you want to phrase it.)

While you *can* charge an empty weapon, to get into the configuration where the weapon is on safe and empty in normal operation you'd have to charge the weapon then put it on safe[2]. With an empty magazine, the bolt would be locked to the rear unless you then hit the bolt release, and the dust cover would be open unless you closed it. Without a magazine in the weapon, you could charge it and either manually place a round in the chamber or leave it empty, but you'd still have an open dust cover unless you manually closed it after charging.

While firearms safety tells us to always treat a weapon as if it's loaded and to always safe a loaded weapon, in a battle rifle being able to quickly know the status of your weapon is arguably significantly more important than minor firearms safety practices.

In the M-16, the U.S. Army went overboard in status- which is why unlike an AK-47 the bolt will hold open when you run out of ammunition- which has given enemies in past conflicts an indication of when to attack a soldier who's reloading. The counter-argument is that the soldier doesn't spend time pulling the trigger on an empty chamber if they've lost count of their shots and reloads are quicker and it's easier to maintain an offensive position with since you do not have to re-charge the weapon when you reload, just hit the bolt release with your thumb after inserting a new magazine and squeeze the trigger.

So, with the M-16 series, you're always in a firing mode unless you have a loaded weapon, in which case you can place it on safe.

It's an individual weapon, so you get yours, and yours is your responsibility and it shouldn't be out of your hands unless stacked or racked somewhere and since you get to memorize the serial number and you don't mess with anyone else's weapon you should always know the status of your weapon and every time you load it when you're not engaging a target you safe it.

If you're dumb enough to load and charge the weapon, then put the dust cover back up over the bolt and point it at your foot without putting it on safe- well I sure wouldn't want you in the next fighting position over- so shooting yourself in the foot is good for you and good for your fellow soldiers, but it's not easy to do accidentally ;).

Paul
[1] Generally speaking other than testing operation after reassembling the weapon from a field stripping/cleaning the only time you charge it is when it's loaded, so there's no ambiguity and the intent is that you can only safe a loaded weapon, however it's accurate that you can charge an empty weapon.
[2] It may technically be possible to safe a weapon where you pull out the rear swivel pin, "shotgun" the upper reciever, reach into the trigger group hosing and manually cock the hammer then close it back up- but I haven't tried that.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I found this group of very large mushrooms in my backyard this morning. The tallest was around 8-10 inches in height. Probably should have plucked that tall blade of grass, but oh well...

FurryMushroom.jpg

CanadIan

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
I will defer to the experienced shooter amoungst us (thanks compuwar). Add to that description the fact that they would be very carefull not to take a loaded weapon to a busy remembrance cerimony, and it seems fully explained.

Second in the series:
4108171306_277f871858_o.jpg

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Fog. Shoreline walk. Newfoundland. ( sigh )

Just down the shore from the above outhouse!

4111678867_c9d4cd1f8b_o.jpg

Sony DSC F717
Exposure Mode: Auto exposure
Exposure Time: 1 / 200
FNumber: 4
Focal Length: 10.9
ISO Speed Ratings: 100
Contemplating a D700. Wadda ya think and what lens ?? BJ

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Very nice! Were you at an airshow?

HA! Why yes, yes I was. Aviation Nation at Nellis on Saturday. Were you there too? I'm pretty sure only people that were there could figure out I was at an airshow from the picture :)

AND, my contribution for today; from the air show:

img_0057.jpg

Canon EOS 5D Mark II :: 270 mm :: f 6.3 :: 1/250 sec :: iso 125 (EF 135F2L + 2X Converter to get 270mm F4)

Larger on Flickr, full size available (SHARP!)

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
HA! Why yes, yes I was. Aviation Nation at Nellis on Saturday. Were you there too? I'm pretty sure only people that were there could figure out I was at an airshow from the picture :)

AND, my contribution for today; from the air show:

img_0057.jpg

Canon EOS 5D Mark II :: 270 mm :: f 6.3 :: 1/250 sec :: iso 125 (EF 135F2L + 2X Converter to get 270mm F4)

Larger on Flickr, full size available (SHARP!)

This is sick man, great job...

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
After two months of inactivity (due to my camera getting fried), I finally had the chance to take some pictures this weekend while on a class trip. One of my students managed to get this recently emerged damselfly (Odonata: Coenagrionidae) to rest on his finger.

Canon XTi + Sigma 50mm f1.4
1/500, f2.2, ISO 400

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'm pretty sure only people that were there could figure out I was at an airshow from the picture :)

Large expanse of concrete, camouflage wing in the background- I wasn't there and that was my guess... The biggest question I had was what the aircraft in the background was- there's a fair amount of wing without an engine in sight, what was it?

TyWahn

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2003
Bugged

Can somebody please tell me how to get the photo to be a part of the message body instead of an attachment you have to click? How do others get such nice quality pics uploaded within the file size limit?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0144.jpg
    DSC_0144.jpg
    748.7 KB · Views: 71

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Can somebody please tell me how to get the photo to be a part of the message body instead of an attachment you have to click? How do others get such nice quality pics uploaded within the file size limit?

Thanks

Place it on a Web site and link to it with the "Insert Image" feature in the message editor.

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
Hehe, you had me fooled. At first glance I thought it was some kind of bird.
I think the photo would look better if the cat wasn't dead center. Place it more to the left, leaving some room on the right, so we can see what it is seeing. (or at least give an impression of that).

noted thank you

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
getting ready for tonight..
my friends b day..

That is a nice choice of vodka you have there. Trust the party went well? Do not imagine many guests were shy and retiring by the end of the night. Have moved on to Bison Grass vodka now. Makes me feel less of an alcoholic and more of a connoisseur :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.