Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Maryport...

maryport.jpg

Very nice composition and color. Reminds me of the reverse of Phrasikleia's most recent "Sunny side of the alps" post. The background of your photo holds the subject in crisp detail while the foreground is soft and mystical.

Dale

SelfMadeCelo

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Tulare, CA
Recently I was invited to shoot a wedding that took place this past weekend. My first instinct was to turn it down since I've only been really taking serious pictures for the past couple months but at the same time practice makes perfect right? Now I know what you're thinking, I shouldn't have. After talking with the main photographer she told me her husband would be there as well so I was the third photographer. While they took care of the major shots I kind of roamed around (while trying to stay out of their way) and took most of all the casual shots. This was one of my favorites and I don't know why. I kind of like the lens flare and after giving it a vintage look in Photoshop I thought it really popped. Anyways, sorry for the long back story but enjoy. C&C appreciated =)

4113768918_48481922f5_o.jpg

Flickr

pakyooh

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2009
California
Weekend Practice

4111400446_2f906c5a4d_b.jpg

Practiced portrait shots with my cousin and his gf. Need more practice with directing subject. I was too nervous to let the creativity flow.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Large expanse of concrete, camouflage wing in the background- I wasn't there and that was my guess... The biggest question I had was what the aircraft in the background was- there's a fair amount of wing without an engine in sight, what was it?

Aviation Nation is HUGE, probably get about 250,000 people on each of the two days, and they fly in a lot of airplanes for display. I believe the one behind us was a C-47. I'm trying to put together a nice slideshow/video of what we saw there. It's a FANTASTIC show. Every 2nd weekend in November at Nellis. Totally recommend going.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Lighting that Rocks

I'm taking a Wedding School class, today was setting up lighting that rocks in the studio. We used 5 lights on this setup, you can view the overview and his blog entry on it here: Kenneth Linge's blog

lighting-that-rocks-1.jpg

Canon EOS 5D Mark II :: 135 mm :: f 14 :: 1/160 sec :: iso 200

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Aviation Nation is HUGE, probably get about 250,000 people on each of the two days, and they fly in a lot of airplanes for display. I believe the one behind us was a C-47. I'm trying to put together a nice slideshow/video of what we saw there. It's a FANTASTIC show. Every 2nd weekend in November at Nellis. Totally recommend going.

My dad was stationed at RAF Mildenhall when I was in high school, and we had about a quarter million people a day on base for annual the airshow in the early '80's- prior to that we were at RAF Alconbury where we probably had about 100k people a day for the airshow there. I don't think I've been to more than four airshows since then- Andrews AFB a couple of times while I was stationed at The White House and Hillsboro, Oregon a couple of times hanging out with my dad.

Do they roll different display teams through Nellis, or is it always the Thunderbirds? I've know I've seen them in F4's, T-38s, and F-16s, I may have seen them in F100's when I was too young to remember.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I'm taking a Wedding School class, today was setting up lighting that rocks in the studio. We used 5 lights on this setup, you can view the overview and his blog entry on it here: Kenneth Linge's blog

lighting-that-rocks-1.jpg

Canon EOS 5D Mark II :: 135 mm :: f 14 :: 1/160 sec :: iso 200

I had a look at the blog and saw that someone there posted exactly my first thought about the lighting. The front of the dress has some wonderful detail that should be picked out by some frontal light (perhaps raking across the front). The photographer replied that he's going to have someone fix it in Photoshop, but I don't think any amount of Photoshopping will make up for the absence of real light glistening off of those details. Was anyone at the shoot concerned about it at the time?

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I had a look at the blog and saw that someone there posted exactly my first thought about the lighting. The front of the dress has some wonderful detail that should be picked out by some frontal light (perhaps raking across the front). The photographer replied that he's going to have someone fix it in Photoshop, but I don't think any amount of Photoshopping will make up for the absence of real light glistening off of those details. Was anyone at the shoot concerned about it at the time?

He actually has a tendency to shoot a little dark and pull up, at least with his camera. The photos in his blog were done last week sometime; yesterday he was showing us how he did the setup in his studio. I'm actually not sure if the frontal one he posted on his blog is one he intended on using or not, he was just showing how he likes to light the face independently of the dress.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV

Click for larger

Early morning at the Grand Canyon is, obviously, an amazing time, yet I find myself going to the same place every time to shoot the sun rise... I guess it just so happens to be the one closest to the camp site, but it also is quite spectacular. Next time I go I will make sure to see it from another view point as I am fairly certain I have 5 shots in my Flickr stream from this exact location...

There is a lot of photoshop and lightroom edits to this photo. It was not a great photo out of the camera with blown highlights, lost detail in the shadows and exposed terribly wrong - In fact, it was just a simple test shot to figure out my numbers and what filter to use. As a challenge, I felt like trying to bring it back to life and I felt it came out ok.

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Bird Watching

Northern Ontario style <grunts like a man..>

4114859691_2511a7f932_o.jpg

Exposure Mode: Auto exposure
Exposure Time: 1 / 350
FNumber: 4.8
Focal Length: 6
Max Aperture Value: 1.7
Sony DSC F717
-30c

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
The real thing ( clickable )

:cool:scanning the field for anything that moves.

Saw that kitty cat and was reminded when Marc Johnson of Hearst sent me this photo of a Great Gray owl. Back in 2005 an eruption of Grays came south to feed in the Hearst area of Northern Ontario. Obviously, the bird could NOT read.

Attachments

• Great Gray Owl - October 16th 2004 - Hearst 034CRR.jpg
    Great Gray Owl - October 16th 2004 - Hearst 034CRR.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 77

CanadIan

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
Northern Ontario style <grunts like a man..>
4114859691_2511a7f932_o.jpg

Exposure Mode: Auto exposure
Exposure Time: 1 / 350
FNumber: 4.8
Focal Length: 6
Max Aperture Value: 1.7
Sony DSC F717
-30c
Now I just know you guys don't have -30 and snow yet! (it will come, but not yet)
Down here in Belleville Ontario we have had a warm sunny November so far (I don't think daytime temps have dropped bellow freezing yet).

Oh, and nice pic... that does look like a typical Sudbury birder!

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Not quite

Now I just know you guys don't have -30 and snow yet! (it will come, but not yet)
Down here in Belleville Ontario we have had a warm sunny November so far (I don't think daytime temps have dropped bellow freezing yet).

Oh, and nice pic... that does look like a typical Sudbury birder!

Hmmm. You might say a nerder ?? ;) This was part of the Christmas bird count a couple of years back. Weather here today is amazing. People in shorts in mid November. Global warming ? What global warming ?

BJ

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Walter Gropius (founder of Bauhaus) Residence, Lincoln, MA:

dsc7128x.jpg

One of my favorite buildings; every time I go here, I can't help but have a religious experience. Highly recommend going if you like architecture, history, and are in or around Boston.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.