Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Great pic, no doubt.

I'm curious what the intention of the image was. Seeing the bridal bouquet on the ground puts me ill at ease. For some reason, it seems like something has gone wrong. For comparison, take the classic movie shot focusing on a pair of glasses on the ground, presumably knocked off their owner after something bad has happened. The subdued color, and bride and groom out of focus in the background standing solemnly with hands at their sides reinforces the feeling. It's a powerful image no doubt, but perhaps not my first choice for the cover of my wedding album :D

This is exactly what I was thinking. I get a strong sense of abandon, neglect, loss, separation, disassociation...it "reads" more like a funeral than a wedding.

The one with the bouquet on the beach is warmer and more lively, but I still don't get a connection between the couple and the bouquet, and there is still this sense of degradation with the bouquet on the ground instead of in the bride's hands or else in the air.

So I think the photos have plenty going for them on an aesthetic level, but on the conceptual level, they kind of run aground.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Alright, well, I've been shooting for about a month now, so I guess I'll start pitching mine in from now on :)

Go easy on me :p

Anyhoo, took this picture a couple weeks ago, but I just found it lying on my desktop tonight while importing pictures to the Lightroom beta.

4039318818_e43b02eb36_b.jpg

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Thanks ;)

Good points. Thanks for the critique ;) It's definitely unusual. This couple was quite "nontraditional" and they had a very informal ceremony. They seemed like a pretty artsy couple as well, so I was trying some things that were "out there". Normally when I do this shot with couples, I have them walking and it's a bit "warmer" in tone.

601663399_qhRfj-XL.jpg

However, for the shot I posted earlier, we were doing photos in the early afternoon with no clouds or outdoor shade, so I was limited in my compositional opportunities with regards to being able to do anything outdoors (due both to the unflattering light and the intense arizona heat), so there wasn't any room to do any walking.
I like the feel of this one much better than the other (mainly just love the light here)

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Alright, well, I've been shooting for about a month now, so I guess I'll start pitching mine in from now on :)

Go easy on me :p

Anyhoo, took this picture a couple weeks ago, but I just found it lying on my desktop tonight while importing pictures to the Lightroom beta.

4039318818_e43b02eb36_b.jpg

Nice picture!
Seems to me another way of doing this would be with HDR.

Great pic, no doubt.

I'm curious what the intention of the image was. Seeing the bridal bouquet on the ground puts me ill at ease. For some reason, it seems like something has gone wrong. For comparison, take the classic movie shot focusing on a pair of glasses on the ground, presumably knocked off their owner after something bad has happened. The subdued color, and bride and groom out of focus in the background standing solemnly with hands at their sides reinforces the feeling. It's a powerful image no doubt, but perhaps not my first choice for the cover of my wedding album :D

This is exactly what I was thinking. I get a strong sense of abandon, neglect, loss, separation, disassociation...it "reads" more like a funeral than a wedding.

The one with the bouquet on the beach is warmer and more lively, but I still don't get a connection between the couple and the bouquet, and there is still this sense of degradation with the bouquet on the ground instead of in the bride's hands or else in the air.

So I think the photos have plenty going for them on an aesthetic level, but on the conceptual level, they kind of run aground.

Exactly.
At first, looking at just the shot, it was incredible.
However, once I realized that this was a wedding photograph, that took me by suprise. The overall composition makes this seem much more mellow, and the depth of field also added into that. (Focused on the flowers, symbolizing the relationship just falling down, not focused on the people, because they just aren't important anymore; they're not focused on each other anymore)

As a standalone photograph though, it's beautiful.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

Nice picture!
Seems to me another way of doing this would be with HDR.

I don't think HDR would help. It would put a little detail into the shadows, but I don't think that would look any better than a black silhouette.

The secret to a sunset, IMO, is planning: deciding to go somewhere, an hour before the sunset will look its best, and set up a shot. If the foregound is to be in silhouette, then make it an interesting silhouette.

I'd rather have one shot that really 'sings' than a few shots that don't quite work. And I've stood by many a lake, with camera on tripod, waiting for a dramatic sunset that never quite happened. But those occasions are the 'rent' we pay for when we get to witness something amazing.

OK, I appreciate that time is a problem; we never seem to have enough of it. But spending a little more time, finding and setting up a shot, will pay dividends in raising the quality threshold. :)

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
Further to the recent portraits taken against floral backgrounds, here's one I did back in August. Took me about 20 shots to get one relatively in focus (and it's still not perfect).

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I can agree on the angle, maybe :p, but the overexposed look is because it is just a notch on the high end, but nothing is blown out on the histogram or on my screen here.

Overexposure doesn't necessarily mean clipped highlights. An overexposed image is merely one that has received too much light. A stop or two darker would have favored her skin instead of the dark foliage. If you shot it in raw, you can probably correct for it. Even if not, a curves adjustment could probably help. However, I'd be more inclined to work on the first one--maybe desaturate the orange in it a bit (locally, not globally). That first photo has a lot going for it and is (in my view) worthy of some extra effort in post.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Hi, all.

Just my take on the wedding photos that have drawn a lot of comments. I don't do weddings, but I understand that it is an odd business. It always seems to have themes that couples have to have in their photos, and they change with the times. The Cake Sharing. The Ring on the Hand. The Joined Hands Walking Down the Isle. Now it seems to be The Flowers on the Ground. Go figure. When I was married in '81, we all did the photos. Including me. I don't have a Divorce Album, though. Maybe that's the next big thing..:eek:..

Dale

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Contemplation...

Just before heading out into the big wave surf of Nelscott Reef.

PHR_9366.JPG

Model: NIKON D300
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/1500 sec
Aperture: 4.0
Focal Length: 300mm

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Gorgeous Fall colors, Dale! Perfect lighting for this shot. I like how there is a puffy white cloud nestled in between the two yellow trees. Nice one.

Thanks a bunch! I'm getting used to my dslr and am better at processing RAW now. I shot this with a monopod. It really slowed me down and made me concentrate on framing. With the camera where I wanted it, I just stood there and watched campus life go by until my light came around. You and Doylem have been very helpful...:D...

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.