Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Pacific Lutheran University. Parkland, Washington. Established 1889.

pluhr.jpg

Dale

That looks amazing! Nice contrast.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Thanks a bunch! I'm getting used to my dslr and am better at processing RAW now. I shot this with a monopod. It really slowed me down and made me concentrate on framing. With the camera where I wanted it, I just stood there and watched campus life go by until my light came around. You and Doylem have been very helpful...:D...

Glad to hear that 'waiting and watching' can work. Every new camera seems to boast about being 'faster', 'more frames per second', etc, which is useful, no doubt, for shooting sports and wildlife... but irrelevant for most of the pix that most of us take.

Worse, the 'faster' idea can infect the way we shoot. I see people with fancy cameras climb up to my viewpoint and spend about ten seconds lining up a shot and pressing the shutter... assuming, no doubt, that their 'clever' cameras and a bit of PP will sort everything out.

In trying to slow down, I pretend I'm using a big old 'view' camera, instead of a DSLR. It gives me the feeling that every shot should count (even though, in reality, I can just keep pressing the cable release!). It may help in getting the 'decisive moment'...

I really enjoy the waiting and watching. It's calming and meditative in itself, a contrast to the usual speed we live our lives; if I get a few pictures too, that's a bonus... :)

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Here's a blast from the past, that's me circa Oct 1984 going to Engineering school.

My 128k Mac, yes that is MacPaint (gotta be version 1.0?) you see onscreen. I used it and MacWrite for report writing, MacBasic for programming.

This was a self-portrait I took for one of my "fun" non-engineering electives, B&W Photography. I developed this photo myself in the "real" chemical darkroom.

MikeMac128k.jpg

Last edited:

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
Lupins

A fire hydrant next to the ocean,water water everywhere.

Attachments

• DSC03082.JPG
    DSC03082.JPG
    583.3 KB · Views: 76

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
Fuzzy tries to do a Doylem

Mr Doylem if you would humour me for a bit, this was taken a few weeks ago near Oban. I waited about 5 minutes for the light (the kids were getting fidgety), I know you wait a few hours so apart from that, what else would you say was wrong (or indeed right!) with this? I'm not sure about the framing, I centered it between the two boats but think I should have centered on the big one. This is straight out of the camera.

Thanks.:)

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Steve ???

:D I thought that was "Steve" sitting at the desk thinking "Now, how can I market this thing".... and the lamp to the left... definitely has "Pixar" written all over it. You know, I love my Macs wayyy too much. lol. BJ

Here's a blast from the past, that's me circa Oct 1984 going to Engineering school.

My 128k Mac, yes that is MacPaint (gotta be version 1.0?) you see onscreen. I used it and MacWrite for report writing, MacBasic for programming.

This was a self-portrait I took for one of my "fun" non-engineering electives, B&W Photography. I developed this photo myself in the "real" chemical darkroom.

MikeMac128k.jpg

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

MikeMac128k.jpg

THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOL!

Please start a new thread in "Apple Collectors" Forum - I think those who frequent that one would love this!

Thanks!

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV

This photo was taken just as the sun set and created a beautiful, almost winter like, atmosphere over the Great Falls.

I will admit, it was really dark at this point, and for some reason I had my aperture set to F/22 which was completely unnecessary for this photo and gave a 30 second exposure. a 5-10 second exposure would have just been as interesting at a lower F-stop.

The skies color was a little over saturated from the Grad ND filter (which again was not needed, but was left on my camera as I was in a rush as they close the park at night), but it certainly adds a little drama to the shot.

Canon 5D mark II
Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009

This photo was taken just as the sun set and created a beautiful, almost winter like, atmosphere over the Great Falls.

I will admit, it was really dark at this point, and for some reason I had my aperture set to F/22 which was completely unnecessary for this photo and gave a 30 second exposure. a 5-10 second exposure would have just been as interesting at a lower F-stop.

The skies color was a little over saturated from the Grad ND filter (which again was not needed, but was left on my camera as I was in a rush as they close the park at night), but it certainly adds a little drama to the shot.

Canon 5D mark II
Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8

I always love the shots you post. Good stuff.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
This is the Robertson Ford GT at Petit Le Mans (American Le Mans Series, Road Atlanta, Sep 09). I took this at Turn 7.

The full gallery is here. I have more from other races, but am in the process of moving galleries to Smugmug.

FordGT_T7.jpg

cchart

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2009
i'm unsure about the post processing but just giving it a try. any cc would be great so i can improve on anything.

dsc1478size2w.jpg

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
4042943580_95b91011aa_o.jpg

1/250 f 4 iso100 f/l 9.7?? ( Sony DSC F717 )

4021882828_29401cfc3b_b.jpg

Nikon D90 with Nikkor 50mm f/1.8

Further to the recent portraits taken against floral backgrounds, here's one I did back in August. Took me about 20 shots to get one relatively in focus (and it's still not perfect).

All of these are very nice vertical framed shots, and I like all of them for different reasons. I view this forum on a 23in Samsung, and all of these run out of my browser window and I don't get the full impact of the photo without scrolling. Which means I don't get the full impact at all. Making sure your photos view full screen before posting will help.

Dale

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
This is the Robertson Ford GT at Petit Le Mans (American Le Mans Series, Road Atlanta, Sep 09). I took this at Turn 7.

The full gallery is here. I have more from other races, but am in the process of moving galleries to Smugmug.

FordGT_T7.jpg
Dean, great photo! Went to your gallery and drooled over the rest of the Petit Le Mans shots. I almost went to the race but at the last minute chicken'd out. Well it was more of a $ issue at the time. Guess I got lucky this time, as I watched it on Speed and it was just pouring. I'm thinking next year:) Course there is the Hilton Head Concours this weekend.....hmmmmmm.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
All of these are very nice vertical framed shots, and I like all of them for different reasons. I view this forum on a 23in Samsung, and all of these run out of my browser window and I don't get the full impact of the photo without scrolling. Which means I don't get the full impact at all. Making sure your photos view full screen before posting will help.

Dale
Full screen for what? Monitor resolution varies widely, from about 1280x800 to 2560x1600.

But yeah OK, I'll make sure my photos view full screen on my 30" monitor before I post. :p Or do you prefer we only post photos that will display without scrolling in a browser window on a 1280x800 screen?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Dean, great photo! Went to your gallery and drooled over the rest of the Petit Le Mans shots. I almost went to the race but at the last minute chicken'd out. Well it was more of a $ issue at the time. Guess I got lucky this time, as I watched it on Speed and it was just pouring. I'm thinking next year:) Course there is the Hilton Head Concours this weekend.....hmmmmmm.

I agree with ^^^...:cool:... All of the shots in your gallery are excellent. I looked at the data on them and was surprised to see that so many were shot at 1/125 or less. Great technical skill with panning.

Dale

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Thanks for looking, and glad you enjoyed them.

Next year I'll be going to the 12 Hours of Sebring, Laguna Seca, and Petit Le Mans. I've been to Sebring and Petit numerous times, but this will be my first trip to Laguna Seca, and it's a 6 hr. race next year.

If you click the link in my sig, you can see my older galleries.

I agree with ^^^...:cool:... All of the shots in your gallery are excellent. I looked at the data on them and was surprised to see that so many were shot at 1/125 or less. Great technical skill with panning.

Dale
Thank you. It takes some practice to get shots at the slower shutter speeds, but the payoff is worth it for the background/wheel blur which is important to give the picture a good sense of motion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.