Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FastEddy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
North Californie
Taken with my crappy 4 megapixel 2004 camera :p
44picture.jpg

NOT crappy at all !!! Wish I were there ...

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
My friend Jordan in Long Beach:

This one has a nice mood about it, but the implied lighting is so screwy that it loses its punch. His body is lit from from the side, he's casting a shadow in front of him, and the light source is coming from yet another place.

The future. :p This was actually taken on a cruise ship. Well, half of it!

That's one groovy cruise.

By the way, "Photo of the day" means just that: one photo per day. Keep 'em coming, but one at a time. :)

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Split Personalitree

The lighting on this was off, if I shot from the West where the sun was, there wasn't enough of a split on the color, so I had to shoot into the sun and have the tree backlit. I might go try this again tomorrow morning. The tree really is growing in two-halves, the obvious editing was just to bring the color out as much as possible

split_personalitree.jpg

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
I guess it's a wasp nest, or it could be pipes.

Nikon D40, 135mm

Unfortunately this is a crop. It's abut 60% of the original frame. The reason behind that:
These things stood on a construction site and of course there are fences that keep you from entering that site. I would've asked a worker if he let me in for a photo, but it was sunday, no one was there and I didn't want to break in. (Mainly because it was raining, it was cold and the fence being 2.5 meters high.)

The fence is also the reason why the pipes are not spot on centered in their wood cage.

Anyway, have a nice day.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I guess it's a wasp nest, or it could be pipes.

Nikon D40, 135mm

Unfortunately this is a crop. It's abut 60% of the original frame. The reason behind that:
These things stood on a construction site and of course there are fences that keep you from entering that site. I would've asked a worker if he let me in for a photo, but it was sunday, no one was there and I didn't want to break in. (Mainly because it was raining, it was cold and the fence being 2.5 meters high.)

The fence is also the reason why the pipes are not spot on centered in their wood cage.

Anyway, have a nice day.

Well you did the best with what you could. I've discovered fences, power lines, hand rails all get in the way. So many incredible things to photograph all being hampered by something silly. Okay, maybe not silly, but, something is always in the way. I live in Utah, lots of mountains, and I've had plenty of great mountain shots from the base ruined because of so many dang power lines.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
2826328651_a32fb438d3_b.jpg

This was taken outside of Arches UT. The trail we were hiking on crossed these tracks.

Wow, I hiked around there so many years ago, I never would have remembered that until your post. I'm hoping to take a trip down to Arches soon, it's so beautiful down there.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Can you tell me more about how you shot that?

My guess is, he put his Nikon D200 on a tripod, set it to ISO 100, set the aperture to f20 (the near maximum that his lens allowed in order to use as long shutter speed as possible to achieve the water motion blur) and shutter speed to half a second, all in manual exposure mode with spot metering, focused his 70mm prime lens to the leaf and pushed the trigger on his remote cable shutter release. :)
He's good.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
My guess is, he put his Nikon D200 on a tripod, set it to ISO 100, set the aperture to f20 (the near maximum that his lens allowed in order to use as long shutter speed as possible to achieve the water motion blur) and shutter speed to half a second, all in manual exposure mode with spot metering, focused his 70mm prime lens to the leaf and pushed the trigger on his remote cable shutter release. :)
He's good.

Haha. Yeah, he's good, and so is the Exif Viewer plug-in! :D

But how did he get the leaf to stay there long enough to focus on it? That Doylem is so darned clever!

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
He's good.

Yes, right in every respect (except it was an 18-70 lens); it's like you were standing beside me...

I just saw a leaf in this little waterfall (bottom left, in thumbnail below) that was stuck so securely to a rock, underwater, that the flow of water wasn't shifting it. Mystery solved... :)

falls2ui8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.