Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
thanks! I like to shoot a lot of different things - which is why i like having a couple of different photoblogs. I look forward to the fair every year now and it's great to shoot different ways and different subjects. It helps to think a bit different, and keep interest up.

Makes sense. I have visited your blog a few times. Lots of good reading. Keep up the good work, And if you have any interesting shots of that Cube of yours i would love to see those.

EDIT: Actually was just checking out your blog again, and i was going to leave a comment, but it was quite a painful process as there was no border around the text box and i wasnt sure where to click.

BPresley321

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Beautiful! The pastel color palette is a really nice departure from the usual carnival aesthetic. The way the wheel is turned up to the pretty sky makes it seems as though it's trying to receive or broadcast happy messages. I also think this one strikes a nice balance between looking like a photograph or an illustration.

I agree. The pastels and the sky are very welcome relief from the typical bright neon lights and commotion of a traditional carnival shot.

object88

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Went to the Gilman this past Saturday to see one of my favorite bands, and decided to do a little photography -- the first time that I had done any live music photography. Challenging, but a lot of fun! Most shots ended up pretty bad, but I think I got lucky with this one.

Clickable. C&C encouraged. Thanks!

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
worton.jpg

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
My visit to cornwall, more pictures to come :D clickable, c&c appreciated.
3926248061_b88bb13e5c_b.jpg

3926251547_0495be0eb0_b.jpg
and you need to click on this and go on all sizes to the get real effect of it tbh. its a very heavy edit.

I dont really like the first pic, However the second picture is fantasic. Well done.

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Following on, this was also taken at Land's End...

img_0836.jpg

Just an exercise, no one was hurt.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Although I'm new to photography, I have over 4 decades of practice in using my eyes. This one, for some reason, was really difficult for me: I took tons of shots at all different exposures and with them all laid out in front of me I had a hard time deciding which was 'correctly exposed'. I realize it isn't an exact science and some parts are going to be over/under-exposed, but do you think this final choice was a good one? Does anyone consider this a 'wrong' exposure? I ended up trying to set the mid-tone (which I took to be the three shrines). Good or bad criticism welcome.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
That's not just "another bridge" that's THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE!!!!! Sorry I'm a New Yorker LOL.
The comment was that of a jaded resident of the NYC area , lived my first couple of year's in the Bronx ( next to the last stop on the 6 train) , then ended up in NJ , over one of the ' other ' bridges . Made a whole lot of trips over the BB on my way to and from Pratt in the last 10-15 year's. Anyway , Here's one from 42nd between 5th and Madison , 5d mk2 , 300 f4 w/ 1.4 extender , no tripod but a trash container was handy for support.

IMG_1091_1319_1.jpg

Apologies to the owners and residents of those buildings on the north side of 42nd that I photoshopped into the ozone .

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
in my opinion the exposure looks good, but did the tree on the right have to be in the frame? My eyes are more drawn to it than the shrines.
Right, I see what you mean. I think it was just that it was there...

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
"The Funk Called"

Camera: Pentax K10D
Exposure: 0.125 sec (1/8)
Aperture: f/10.0
Focal Length: 16 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Taken friday evening at Portencross, Scotland.

paspas

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
Good or bad criticism welcome.

Nice to see somebody else posting photos from Japan!
The exposure looks quite good to me - however I'm not sure if the white balance is correct. I know the impression of a shrine can change quite a lot depending on the time/weather. But still, I think the colours could probably a bit warmer... But that's actually quite often the case when I look at photos I've taken at shrines/gardens.
As for the tree in front, I guess doing a step forward/to the left or turning the camera a bit to the left (just that the foundation of the shrines is centered) would probably have made the trick...

EDIT: Have you tried out what happens if you crop the photo so that the space right of the tree is cut (leaving the tree itself in the picture)? I think this changes the impression quite a lot!

paspas

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
Intriguing... how the shadow of a leaf reveals a secret underwater world...
Thank you! I always enjoy your landscape photos from Windermere. Actually, you've convinced me that I should find a way to travel to the UK the next time I'm in Europe.;)

I've attached my next shot! Again, c&c are welcome!
(Peace Statue in the Peace Park in Nagasaki)

Attachments

• IMG_5597.jpg
    IMG_5597.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 61

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Nice to see somebody else posting photos from Japan!
The exposure looks quite good to me - however I'm not sure if the white balance is correct. I know the impression of a shrine can change quite a lot depending on the time/weather. But still, I think the colours could probably a bit warmer...
As for the tree in front, I guess doing a step forward/to the left or turning the camera a bit to the left (just that the foundation of the shrines is centered) would probably have made the trick...
Thanks for the advice. I never thought of WB. That may account for why there are dark shadows but it still looks a bit washed out. Would you just use a different preset WB or (eek!) set it manually?

paspas

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
Thanks for the advice. I never thought of WB. That may account for why there are dark shadows but it still looks a bit washed out. Would you just use a different preset WB or (eek!) set it manually?
WB is maybe the reason.
EDIT: Especially in situations when there's a lot of green in the picture, I've experienced that the AWB fails quite badly...
If you have kept the raw file of the photo you should still be able to change it.
I always end up using the presets because I'm too lazy to it configure it manually. The problem I have with the presets, that I often think that the "true" WB is somewhere between the "cloudy" and the "sunny" setting, which is why I think I should probably start to set it manually...

btw, i've edited my last post while you've commented on it...

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
WB is maybe the reason.
...If you have kept the raw file of the photo you should still be able to change it.
Yeah, I shot these in JPG but since then decided to shoot in RAW. I messed around with the manual WB grid at the beach at sunset and got some lovely sunset effects. Unfortunately, all random. :rolleyes:

paspas

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
Yeah, I shot these in JPG but since then decided to shoot in RAW. I messed around with the manual WB grid at the beach at sunset and got some lovely sunset effects. Unfortunately, all random. :rolleyes:
I think I've actually seen some of them on your flickr page! Great photos!
Reminds that I haven't been to a beach for quite some time now...:(
In my free time I usually tend to go for temples and shrines. So one of the few beaches I've been at was in Kamakura :cool:

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Rocky Mountain Sun/Moon rise

http://gallery.me.com/ghettochris#100120

it's a photo every minute, turned into a movie through quicktime image sequence. Mars is in the upper right, then the Moon, then Venus is the bright one that shows up halfway through. I like how the moon moves noticeably from the beginning to the end.

Here's the setup that took it. Can't wait to do this with a better camera.

web.jpg

paspas

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
http://gallery.me.com/ghettochris#100120

it's a photo every minute, turned into a movie through quicktime image sequence. Mars is in the upper right, then the Moon, then Venus is the bright one that shows up halfway through. I like how the moon moves noticeably from the beginning to the end.

Wow!
It was quite hard for me to find Mars and Venus though, because on my screen they were shrinked to two pixels.:rolleyes:
How many photos did you have to take to create the video?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.