Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I have no idea what to think about this. :D
There's an obvious focus, but the left side is very bare, although if the gate was in focus the picture would look messy with no obvious focus. Obviously I didn't mean it to be a portrait either. I'll throw it out there...

Attachments

• IMG_1525.JPG
    IMG_1525.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 105

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Hail Eris! All hail Discordia!! (Yes I realize that my username should more accurately be kallistei in classical Greek to reflect the dative in a "pure" manner, but there's all the confusion between Latin, modern Greek, and English). Also the "freaks" who developed Discordianism as a pseudo-religion (joke religion?) had no classical training obviously. I've always seen a humorous connection between Apple (the computer company), Apple Corps (the Beatles company), the apple (from Judeo-Christian mythology), and the apple of discord (from Greek mythology). Throw in the Discordian element and things get even more amusing.

I was drawn to the Classics in college (always more of a Hellenist than a Latinist) yet ended up in med school at the end. So now I occasionally throw in quotes from Homer or Aeschylus on rounds and the students/residents think I'm an idiot.

More info than you probably needed. More power to you on your chosen career. I have a huge appreciation for those that pursue the classics whether through archeology or textual interpretation. As a history major I am convinced of the importance of Greek/Roman society on all facets of modern life.

I spent my honeymoon in Athens/Santorini (formerly known as Kallisti!!). I love your shots taken in Greece on many levels. Takes me back to my college interests and reminds me of my honeymoon.

Best of luck to you :)

People in here are so smart it hurts just to think like them :eek:

Dale

paspas

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
I have no idea what to think about this. :D
There's an obvious focus, but the left side is very bare, although if the gate was in focus the picture would look messy with no obvious focus. Obviously I didn't mean it to be a portrait either. I'll throw it out there...

Wow, I really love that shot! Not being technically perfect gives the photo a nice atmosphere in my opinion.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Very poor composition but i still like it. Taken with my Panasonic TZ5
An RAF merlin helicopter after being dropped off at Salisbury plain

Attachments

• P1010038.jpg
    P1010038.jpg
    789.7 KB · Views: 79

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Boogie boardin'

Road's End, Oregon, sundown today.

DSC_8824.jpg

Camera: NIKON
Model: D50
ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/200 sec
Aperture: 11.0
Focal Length: 300mm

CanadIan

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
I really like this photograph. It makes me feel like I'm there. My only suggestion, and this comes with the caveat that it might not really help the shot, but I'd be curious to see this - since it's a vertical landscape, aim the camera down to bring more forground (forewater...;)) into the shot and a bit less sky, since there are few clouds for interest there. But, as I said, I'd have to see if that actually improves it or not. Or, maybe just use a wider angle than 40mm. But, I really like this like it is, too.

Thanks for the great comment...Well you get your wish. I had already decided I wanted to post the following pic today to see which people like better. Sadly I don't have the 21mm (yet) lens so it is really a choice between 15mm, 40mm, and 70mm for my shots. All my shots for the next while will be from my week long backpacking trip to the White Mountains of NH in late August.

3926604165_d16c49c826_o.jpg

Pentax K-7 + DA 15mm f/4 Ltd.

nuwomb

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
The Zipper - London Ontario

special thanks to Phrasikleia for pointing out some problems with my sig and website!

MBP123

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
Thank you very much for your kind words. It is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to criticize as well though as I am always looking to improve!

Love this shot. Not sure if a tweak to the exposure (it seems slightly underexposed to me--some shadow detail seems to be lost) or the white balance (maybe a bit less red/orange) would help it. Take this with a grain of salt though as I'm not an expert on tweaking. I have a soft spot for shots like this though. I personally love the composition and the expression on the boy's face.

I am constantly amazed by the images produced by members of this forum. I feel a little guilty that I don't offer praise more often. There are some very talented people here--and also many peeps that are willing to take the time to offer helpful advice. I often find myself blown away by the civility expressed in this forum. It's actually a rarity on the internet.

Kudos to those willing to offer up their shots for scrutiny. Kudos to those willing to spend the time to comment. Kudos to the community at large for creating a place where many people of divergent experiences and interests can all come together to share their photographic visions.

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Fishing self portrait

Me... the old guy on the right. My nephew, Stephen, at the helm. 60 km North of Cochrane, Ontario. Old Sony P and S.

Attachments

• Fishing.jpg
    Fishing.jpg
    905.1 KB · Views: 89

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
NYC - Central park

This has the potential of being a very nice photo IMO. I am guessing light HDR treatment? The flower and dragonfly are gorgeous but the noise in the water and the halos surrounding the lily pads and such are distracting. I wonder also how this would look if you cropped down and shifted the flower to emerge from the lower left corner of the frame...allowing the flower and the dragonfly to fill most of the picture.

Not sure on the PP method--whatever you did worked wonderfully on the foreground...

Thoughts?

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
652725445_Vp25G-XL.jpg

Wow. Does this machine actually exist?!

Yes, the picture was taken outside at the Hanspree World Motorbike Championship race.

Curios to know what this is. I can make out a wheel at the right and another one at the left.

Genghis Khan is correct...it is a motorbike. The actual bike from the episode he referenced I think, would be much more impressive than the bike pictured here :)

Fixed that for ya. ;)

Thanks for the fix--some things just shouldn't be left unsaid ;) It is a beautiful machine. The people who built it have a lot to be proud of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.