Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Originally posted by Moxiemike
Nice score. How do you like the cam thus far?

It's cool having a huge camera in my hand, and releasing the shutter results in a satisfying "clunk!" :D been a while since I've had a camera do that (my Pentax K-1000 :) )

I read all the reviews I could on the S1, and ended up getting it to learn, and 'cause the S2 was out of my current price range.

It's just going to take a lot more shooting to get used to it, but I look forward to it.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by MacBandit
For true photo printing your going to want to find a specialty photo shop with knowledgeable people.

True, but there's not one anywhere near where I live in town :) besides, they have really expensive printers :) they're probably the closest I'll get out here until I drive into town, which I do every few days but still, it's a hassle....

5300cs, all digital images benefit with at least a little post work...pretty much everything needs post work, including film...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by zync
True, but there's not one anywhere near where I live in town :) besides, they have really expensive printers :) they're probably the closest I'll get out here until I drive into town, which I do every few days but still, it's a hassle....

5300cs, all digital images benefit with at least a little post work...pretty much everything needs post work, including film...

The local photo shop I deal with has gone nearly completely digital and thusly there costs aren't that bad. Also you can email them a photo rather then showing up in person and have them print it.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Originally posted by 5300cs
Ugh, CVS. I used to work for the one in Washington Sq (in Brookline.) They could screw anything up :rolleyes:
Yeah, I think they screwed up the focus on one set of my prints. I was extremely baffled as how they managed that :confused:

And dammit, isn't anyone going to comment on my pics?! :)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by Moxiemike
You can look at dpreview.com for a big list of hints and whatnot on the S1.

is there similar stuff for most/all cams? would love to read some tips/tricks with the digital rebel... didn't jump out at me on the site, any help would be sweet. :)

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Originally posted by Counterfit
Yeah, I think they screwed up the focus on one set of my prints. I was extremely baffled as how they managed that :confused:

And dammit, isn't anyone going to comment on my pics?! :)

ok... i'll go.

• some are dirty and out of focus (you know how to spot-tone right?)

• are they supposed to look like duotones or is it just my uncalibrated monitor?

• i like the texture of the concrete corner and i enjoy the shallow DOF on the last pill shot. :)

peace.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
I wonder how Ritz's large prints look. I've been going to them for a little while now for processing and small prints, even though CVS is cheaper, some workers somehow manage to mess up an automated process :rolleyes:. That and I much prefer the white borders on the prints, makes it easier to look at the image itself it seems.

Okay, publishing the B&W stuff now, should be up in a sec.

edit: THEY'RE FINALLY UP!

note: that link will be changing tomorrow, so don't bookmark it yet ;)

i totally missed the link!

Traffic on Huntington Ave. is a great night shot. Wish I could see it in color though! :D

Corner of a concrete ledge from a balcony. Inspired abstract. Dig it alot.

School of the MFA. Nice chaoitc comp. Dig it alot.

I'm not as keen on the pill shots, simply because you'd have done better with a) more pills and b) a macro lens.

Your other compositions are so interesting that i expect more from the pills and the CD shot

Just my .02.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Originally posted by neut
ok... i'll go.

• some are dirty and out of focus (you know how to spot-tone right?)

• are they supposed to look like duotones or is it just my uncalibrated monitor?

• i like the texture of the concrete corner and i enjoy the shallow DOF on the last pill shot. :)

peace.
1: There was quite a bit of dust on the scanner, I'll have to clean it and scan them again. I know the CD was out of focus, but I scanned it anyway :p and no, I don't have any idea what spot-toning is
2. I have no idea what those are
3. :D

Mike: Due to space and lens restraints, thats about as big as I could get the pills. The CD, well, I don't really know why I scanned that in...

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
1: There was quite a bit of dust on the scanner, I'll have to clean it and scan them again. I know the CD was out of focus, but I scanned it anyway :p and no, I don't have any idea what spot-toning is

Mike: Due to space and lens restraints, thats about as big as I could get the pills. The CD, well, I don't really know why I scanned that in...

Hah. I've said that about photos i've posted. "Why did i take that??"

Yea. I've just been doing some medical design work and shooting LOTS of stuff like that... my 50mm macro lens is a GODSEND.

What cam are you shooting with?

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
A Rebel 2000. Not bad, and I like the weight, but I'm really starting to feel the limitations now. I think my next cam is going to be a 10D or its successor.
And for lenses, I have the 28-80 that came with it, and a Sigma 70-300 DL Macro Super, the macro mode is handy, but it's not a true macro, it does up to 1:2, but that's it.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)

spot toning is when you use a special photo toner (spot tone) with a very fine brush to spot over the dust spots on your prints. you mix it with water not much) till you get a lighter shade, then slowly build up toner till you achieve a nice blend into your original photo-black (be very careful as you can end up ruining a very good print). my photo teacher was very unforgiving when it came to dust spots.

duotone is any image represented (printed or otherwise) by two colors (usaully two of the same hue to achieve a B&W effect with any color; this is hard to do with bright colors).

does anyone else see his prints as a slight blue-purple?

peace.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
spot toning is when you use a special photo toner (spot tone) with a very fine brush to spot over the dust spots on your prints. you mix it with water not much) till you get a lighter shade, then slowly build up toner till you achieve a nice blend into your original photo-black (be very careful as you can end up ruining a very good print). my photo teacher was very unforgiving when it came to dust spots.

duotone is any image represented (printed or otherwise) by two colors (usaully two of the same hue to achieve a B&W effect with any color; this is hard to do with bright colors).

does anyone else see his prints as a slight blue-purple?

peace.

Yeah, they're a very faint grayish purple.

In my opinion his photos need just a touch more contrast. Either that or he needs to fool around with the white balance. The reason I say this is the blacks aren't quite black. This is very prevalent in the traffic photo.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
MacBandit - yeah, the contrast of iJon's photos is a bit weak. they remind me of my first semester of photo lab. i don't miss film at all. i suck at it. :D

Counterfit - did you say someone else printed those photos for you? so was the focus prob. theirs?

peace.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
So duotone is similar to monochrome then?
Yes, I have to fiddle with the white balance, and no I didn't do any spot toning because I didn't develop or print them. I did, however, get rid of the most obvious dust spots with the Healing Brush in PS, I love that tool! :D

MacBandit

macrumors 604
MacBandit - yeah, the contrast of iJon's photos is a bit weak. they remind me of my first semester of photo lab. i don't miss film at all. i suck at it. :D

iJon - did you say someone else printed those photos for you? so was the focus prob. theirs?

peace.

Sorry I think we got our wires crossed I was referencing the photos posted by Counterfit. I can't seem to find the photos of iJon you are referencing.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
So duotone is similar to monochrome then?.........

Duotone as the name implies means two tones.

Monotone also as the name implies means one tone.

Monotone would be one color black or any other for that matter. A black and white image really is only one color black. The white area is just an absents of that black. You could do the same with any color red/white, green/white, etc..

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Originally posted by MacBandit
Sorry I think we got our wires crossed I was referencing the photos posted by Counterfit. I can't seem to find the photos of iJon you are referencing.

No, you're right, im a retard... :p

peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.