Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Amazing shot as always. I really enjoy your stuff. Just wondering, how long have you been in photography.
Thanks!
Photography was my hobby in the '80s, while I managed a camera store/photolab. I sold my gear in the '90s while I was a poor university student. And it wasn't until I moved to Korea a couple of years ago that I restarted the hobby; digital is so much cheaper and more flexible than film/paper photography.

1-Apr-07, San Fran

Nikon D200
Nikon 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 VR
28mm DX (42mm FF)
1/250s @ f/8

5-shot HDR

orig.jpg

I just love this one. The color is so rich, like Kodachrome 25, and the composition is very well balanced.

As usual, you always get the great shots! How do you do it? Are you using a fast multi shot mode to get it just right? How many do you have to take to get that one good shot? Or do you just have a fast set of reflexes? I always seem to hit the shutter just before or just after the critical second...
A lot of it is just getting out of the house and taking pictures regularly. I do have pretty quick reflexes, though ... { sidebar: My middle-school students and I did a reflex test in science class and I shamed all of them. They all were so slow, I laughed until my sides hurt. I guess all those video games haven't done their reflexes much good. Or maybe there are too many heavy metals in their environment...} ... and the D40's trigger is pretty quick, too. I find manual focus is better, however, for the little birds, at least with my slow tele-rig.
With birds, lately I get maybe one good shot for every 20 or 30 pictures.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
"Colorful Corner" - HDR - 2.24.07

The sky was overcast and the HDR generator, Photomatix, didn't give me the small if any details that the sky contained in the original. Thus, the sky looks washed out. I think that the deep colors in the rest of the photo make up for it though.

447561700_3abc5cc2ea_b.jpg

East Village, New York City​
Nikon D40
18-55mm AF-S
Focal Length: 26mm
Converted to HDR (Photomatix)​

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
1-Apr-07, Along the Dipsea Trail, Muir Woods, CA

Nikon D200
Nikon 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 VR
200mm DX (300mm FF)
1/320s @ f/9
ISO 100
EV -2/3
(Brightness Reduced on PC)

Another teeny tiny flower up close, very close.

orig.jpg

Thanks fall3n, Buschmaster, and freebooter for your comments on earlier photos!

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
(yellowbird flapping his wings)
Daegu, South Korea
April 5, 2006
Nikon D40
Nikkor 70-300mm + Sigma 1.4x t.c.
I caught this little feller just before I left the 'photo zone' to get ready for work today.
One word: Superb! Not only the flapping wings, but also the unique yellow background.

toothpaste

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
The sky was overcast and the HDR generator, Photomatix, didn't give me the small if any details that the sky contained in the original. Thus, the sky looks washed out. I think that the deep colors in the rest of the photo make up for it though.

Nikon D40
18-55mm AF-S

This is on the way to one of my favorite bars. :eek: Anyway, I like this corner but the HDR makes it look weird to me. It's an awesome shot thought, can I see the original by any chance? :)

I have some shots I took with my canon here too. Go to ave c for some other shots ;)

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
4/6/07
2:03am
View from Lindbergh Center

448072741_1f11a2581c.jpg

Camera: Nikon D50
Exposure: 2 sec (2)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 55 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0/6 EV

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
This is on the way to one of my favorite bars. :eek: Anyway, I like this corner but the HDR makes it look weird to me. It's an awesome shot thought, can I see the original by any chance? :)
Yesterday was the first day that I experimented with HDR, and to be honest, I like the original better:

toothpaste said:
I have some shots I took with my canon here too. Go to ave c for some other shots ;)
Yeah, it's a wonderful place to photograph and I will be sure to get down there again.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
"Ribbons and Prayers for U.S. Soldiers Lost in Iraq" - HDR - 3.25.07

I was walking up 5th Avenue and I noticed a bunch of colorful ribbons flowing in the wind and lined up on the gates of a church. Each and every of these ribbons represented a soldier that had passed away during the still continuing warfare in Iraq. The ribbons stretched around the corner of the block and I believe that they represented the deaths of soldiers whose families reside just within NYC and the close neighboring states.

448174217_1f023ab847_b.jpg

5th Ave, New York City

Nikon D40
18-55mm AF-S
Focal Length: 45mm
Converted to HDR (Photomatix)

rahrens

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2006
People's Republic Of Maryland
BirdandBlossoms.jpg

Daegu, South Korea
April 5, 2007
Nikon D40
Nikkor 70-300mm + Sigma 1.4x t.c.

I really like the way the DOF softened the flowers here, but left the bird in good focus. Really nice!

Last summer in late August on my point and shoot.

CIMG1675.jpg

EZ-Z110
f/4.4
6.3mm

Nice colors! I like sunset/sunrise shots, but I think the sunsets are usually more colorful. This one is very restful feeling.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
I was walking up 5th Avenue and I noticed a bunch of colorful ribbons flowing in the wind and lined up on the gates of a church. Each and every of these ribbons represented a soldier that had passed away during the still continuing warfare in Iraq. The ribbons stretched around the corner of the block and I believe that they represented the deaths of soldiers whose families reside just within NYC and the close neighboring states.

448174217_1f023ab847_b.jpg

5th Ave, New York City

Nikon D40
18-55mm AF-S
Focal Length: 45mm
Converted to HDR (Photomatix)

Great shot, well seen.

weazle1098

macrumors regular
Holy Crap it Moves!

This is probably the worst photo I'll ever post here, but I think its kinda cool, I mean I did use the balcony Electric as a "tripod" of sorts. BUT, this is the turntable for the show we'll be putting up in a few weeks, its cut into 9 sections and the sections wiegh about 175lbs each, and its a miracle that it actually turns on the 65 wheels under it.

448266221_25f20874f2_b.jpg

Camera: Canon Rebel XTi
Lens: Sigma 18-200mm 3.5-6.3
Aperture: f/32(wtf?)
Shutter 1.3s
ISO800 (That was me being dumb…)
Focal Length: 48mm

volvoben

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
nowhere fast

Nikon D40
18-55mm AF-S

Is this by any chance a 1 shot HDR?

you can simulate HDR with 1 raw shot (or even 1 jpeg, but it'll be even worse), but you need multiple shots which properly expose the darkest shadows to the lightest highlights to make a true HDR. Even with a +-2EV bracket you should have had some detail in the sky.

Just like getting good IR shots, HDR requires a tripod and remote release, not lots of post processing. Auto bracketing is very handy because it allows you up to +-2EV in 3 shots (or more, depending on the camera) without touching anything but the remote release, negating the risk of moving the camera slightly while changing exposure settings.

My mother's D50 has bracketing, although it's buried in the menus, so I'm assuming the D40 does as well. If I'm wrong on that account sorry, ignore the auto-bracketing bit and just put it in Aperture priority and adjust the shutter speed or the +/- exposure compensation to suit the dynamic range of the scene. When in doubt, take more exposures. Spot metering the scene's darkest and lightest elements while in aperture priority mode before putting the camera on the tripod and composing is a good way to get a ballpark range.

But all that said, if this was a multiple shot HDR I apologize for assuming it wasn't, I personally don't think this scene really needs HDR, the sky's blown out but that's not the important part of the shot. If the sky was so bright it bled into the dark buildings on the right it would be distracting, but as it is it just looks like it was an bright overcast day. The great deep red is the focus of the shot, and a dark contrasty foreboding sky wouldn't really mesh that well with it anyway.

Edit: OK, a quick check told me that the D40 doesn't have auto bracketing, what a stupid feature to drop. Anyway, just ignore that part above about auto bracketing.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
Great shot, well seen.
Thanks Jack, I appreciate it.

Is this by any chance a 1 shot HDR?
No, this was one of my first experimentations with HDR and I adjusted the exposures on my computer.

you can simulate HDR with 1 raw shot (or even 1 jpeg, but it'll be even worse), but you need multiple shots which properly expose the darkest shadows to the lightest highlights to make a true HDR. Even with a +-2EV bracket you should have had some detail in the sky.
The original had some minor details, but I have no idea why they disappeared when the HDR photograph was generated.

Just like getting good IR shots, HDR requires a tripod and remote release, not lots of post processing. Auto bracketing is very handy because it allows you up to +-2EV in 3 shots (or more, depending on the camera) without touching anything but the remote release, negating the risk of moving the camera slightly while changing exposure settings.
As you explain later in your edit, the D40 doesn't have auto bracketing, so everything has to be done manually, which I'm sure will become a pain in the arse later on.

I haven't gotten a tripod yet, so I'm just duplicating photos and adjusting their exposures before throwing them in the Photomatix HDR generator.

If I'm wrong on that account sorry, ignore the auto-bracketing bit and just put it in Aperture priority and adjust the shutter speed or the +/- exposure compensation to suit the dynamic range of the scene. When in doubt, take more exposures. Spot metering the scene's darkest and lightest elements while in aperture priority mode before putting the camera on the tripod and composing is a good way to get a ballpark range.
Thank's for the tips, I was searching online for a decent description of how this is done in amateur photography language but was unable to find anything on the D40.

But all that said, if this was a multiple shot HDR I apologize for assuming it wasn't, I personally don't think this scene really needs HDR, the sky's blown out but that's not the important part of the shot.
It was a 3-shot HDR, but no offense taken. I agree that the scene doesn't need HDR as I posted the original shortly after someone had asked to see it.

If the sky was so bright it bled into the dark buildings on the right it would be distracting, but as it is it just looks like it was an bright overcast day. The great deep red is the focus of the shot, and a dark contrasty foreboding sky wouldn't really mesh that well with it anyway.
I agree. I should have used the built-in flash in the original, because fiddling with the brightness and exposures on the computer make the sky look blown out anyway.

I'm hopefully moving on to Photoshop CS3 when it ships later this month. It will be a big step, but this Aperture Trial and iPhoto really aren't cutting it when it comes to editing.

Does Photoshop enable you to HDR only certain parts of a photograph? For example with this photo, would I be able to leave the sky in it's original form while applying HDR to the building and newsstand?

Thanks a lot for your help Ben.

rahrens

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2006
People's Republic Of Maryland
different perspective

Taken 6th April 2007 , Bannockburn, Scotland
448387310_9863636db5_b.jpg

Camera: Panasonic DMC-FZ5
Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/400)
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 6 mm
ISO Speed: 80

My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/zteamie/

That's a different perspective on a flagpole!

I looked at your Flickr page - you've got some great shots in there! I can't wait to see some after you get your DSLR...

My Flickr is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7255052@N05/

It's mostly pictures of my newest Granddaughter, but I hope to add some more soon on different subjects.

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
Caught this one last week while sitting at a bus stop. I'm not sure why, but I like it. Again on my point and shoot.

CIMG2311.jpg

EZ-Z110
f/5.4
18.9mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.