Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
I am always checking this thread. Good job keeping it up, I just entered into DSLR world, but I wanted to share some of my previous shots using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7

No exif data though.

Pic #1: Smoke from a patio torch, sepia tone added.
Pic #2: Close up of a bee on a flower next to a very busy road/fence.
Pic #3: My friend on the beach taking a nap, I love the perspective on it.
Pic #4: A bench on a sunday morning. I was headed out the door and the sunrise light was... amazing, so I went back and captured it.
Pic #5: Same morning, another little chair on the front yard.
Really nice images! It's difficult to capture the yellow rays of the morning sun, which makes your image #4 my favorite.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Country Road, Country Gal

Country-Gal-web.jpg

April 8, 2007
Nikon D40
Nikkor 70-300mm VR
This ol' gal was out doing what ol' gals do in Korea come spring: picking fresh sprouting greens along the side of the road. That's a sack of said greens slung over her shoulder.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I've loved many of your shots before, but this one really speaks to me. I would love to see a series of different women in the varying steps of picking greens. Love love love this shot. :eek: The atmosphere, the mood, the texture in the plants by her side, texture of the road, the line of her body. The general composition (although I might like it even more if she wasn't so close to center).

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
448539027_5b15898978.jpg

Thats my gf eating a icecream on a summers day :)

Exif is hiding with the original with my laptop thats off for repair sorry

volvoben

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
nowhere fast
I haven't gotten a tripod yet, so I'm just duplicating photos and adjusting their exposures before throwing them in the Photomatix HDR generator.

Thank's for the tips, I was searching online for a decent description of how this is done in amateur photography language but was unable to find anything on the D40.

It was a 3-shot HDR, but no offense taken. I agree that the scene doesn't need HDR as I posted the original shortly after someone had asked to see it.

Does Photoshop enable you to HDR only certain parts of a photograph? For example with this photo, would I be able to leave the sky in it's original form while applying HDR to the building and newsstand?

Thanks a lot for your help Ben.

Martin, glad you found some of that helpful, here's some more:

First, it's not a 3 shot HDR, it's a 1 shot HDR. You'd need to have taken 3 separate exposures without moving the camera (requiring a tripod or solid object to set camera on) to make a true HDR. what you did was post process the raw file up and down in exposure, you didn't actually change the exposure at all, just how the computer interprets the data created in 1 exposure.

It's really too bad that your camera doesn't do auto bracketing, it really takes all the work out of adjusting things, but it's not the end of the world. Just set it to Aperture priority and adjust the +/- exposure compensation to + 2.0ev, 0, and - 2ev (you're free to make as many exposures as you feel you need, the +-2ev 3 shot HDR is just a good starting point. Generally you don't need to bother spacing them less than 1ev, but it doesn't matter, as long as you don't move the camera you can keep shooting)

My suggestion on equipment: buy a tripod before photoshop. you can use a cheapo $30 tripod in most conditions and get great results. More expensive tripods just make it easier and faster to set up and adjust shots, are lighter, and don't move as much if you're out shooting a hurricane at night or in HDR.

in response to your question about photoshop doing HDR on selected portions of a shot: not exactly, but you could achieve this result without much trouble.

First off, if you're after the very surreal wacky HDR effects, don't use photoshop to create the HDR, just use photomatix. photoshop makes more accurate HDRs, but they don't have that crazy look.

secondly, using photoshop you could just use the HDR image and the original image as separate layers and selectively 'punch holes' in the HDR image to let the original show through.

In the example of your original shot though, you WOULD likely want the sky to be HDR, because in a proper HDR shot where the sky was exposed correctly in one of the shots, it wouldn't look blown out but would have nice detail. The news stand doesn't benefit much from HDR because it doesn't have much contrast. HDR makes contrasty scenes look more interesting, but the less contrast, the less HDR imaging can do with the shot.

Also, it would probably be a good idea to be sure you're using photomatix correctly (tone mapping etc), perhaps have a look here

http://stuckincustoms.com/?p=548

there are 87 million HDR tutorials out there, but this one uses photomatix and i found it the most helpful when i first tried out HDR.

then again, a more basic photomatix tutorial is this one on their own site:

http://www.hdrsoft.com/resources/tutorial_basic/index.html

So get a cheap tripod, get out there and get to work!

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
I am always checking this thread. Good job keeping it up, I just entered into DSLR world, but I wanted to share some of my previous shots using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7

No exif data though.

Pic #1: Smoke from a patio torch, sepia tone added.
Pic #2: Close up of a bee on a flower next to a very busy road/fence.
Pic #3: My friend on the beach taking a nap, I love the perspective on it.
Pic #4: A bench on a sunday morning. I was headed out the door and the sunrise light was... amazing, so I went back and captured it.
Pic #5: Same morning, another little chair on the front yard.

Amazing shots, simply amazing.

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
It's really too bad that your camera doesn't do auto bracketing, it really takes all the work out of adjusting things, but it's not the end of the world. Just set it to Aperture priority and adjust the +/- exposure compensation to + 2.0ev, 0, and - 2ev (you're free to make as many exposures as you feel you need, the +-2ev 3 shot HDR is just a good starting point. Generally you don't need to bother spacing them less than 1ev, but it doesn't matter, as long as you don't move the camera you can keep shooting)

My suggestion on equipment: buy a tripod before photoshop. you can use a cheapo $30 tripod in most conditions and get great results. More expensive tripods just make it easier and faster to set up and adjust shots, are lighter, and don't move as much if you're out shooting a hurricane at night or in HDR.

in response to your question about photoshop doing HDR on selected portions of a shot: not exactly, but you could achieve this result without much trouble.

First off, if you're after the very surreal wacky HDR effects, don't use photoshop to create the HDR, just use photomatix. photoshop makes more accurate HDRs, but they don't have that crazy look.

secondly, using photoshop you could just use the HDR image and the original image as separate layers and selectively 'punch holes' in the HDR image to let the original show through.

In the example of your original shot though, you WOULD likely want the sky to be HDR, because in a proper HDR shot where the sky was exposed correctly in one of the shots, it wouldn't look blown out but would have nice detail. The news stand doesn't benefit much from HDR because it doesn't have much contrast. HDR makes contrasty scenes look more interesting, but the less contrast, the less HDR imaging can do with the shot.

Also, it would probably be a good idea to be sure you're using photomatix correctly (tone mapping etc), perhaps have a look here

there are 87 million HDR tutorials out there, but this one uses photomatix and i found it the most helpful when i first tried out HDR.

This sounds like an awesome technique. I'm surely going to give it a go!

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
Martin, glad you found some of that helpful, here's some more:

First, it's not a 3 shot HDR, it's a 1 shot HDR. You'd need to have taken 3 separate exposures without moving the camera (requiring a tripod or solid object to set camera on) to make a true HDR. what you did was post process the raw file up and down in exposure, you didn't actually change the exposure at all, just how the computer interprets the data created in 1 exposure.

Thank you so much for your help with my HDR issues Ben! That Stuck In Customs HDR Tutorial will become very helpful as soon enough I will have Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom to accompany Photomatix.

I'm hitting up the NYC B&H store this Sunday to pick up a tripod.

Thank you also for clarifying my Photoshop related question as well as when to use HDR and when not to.

Thanks again Ben! ;)

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
I've loved many of your shots before, but this one really speaks to me. I would love to see a series of different women in the varying steps of picking greens. Love love love this shot. :eek: The atmosphere, the mood, the texture in the plants by her side, texture of the road, the line of her body. The general composition (although I might like it even more if she wasn't so close to center).

Thanks for the kind comments. :)
I agree that perhaps she's a little too centered. Sometimes life is such....
I should be able to get more greens-picking women pictures--common sight.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Nevada Fall

orig.jpg

7-Apr-07

Nikon D200
Nikon 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 VR
24mm DX (36mm FF)
1/30s @ f/11
ISO 100

With a height of 594 ft, Nevada Fall is just under twice as tall as Vernal Fall, and feeds into it.

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
trinity.
4/12/07
12:35am

456235167_287d6575aa.jpg

handheld.
Camera: Nikon D50
Exposure: 0.769 sec (10/13)
Aperture: f/3.5
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0/6 EV

Zeromus

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2005
Wow! That's fantastic! If you could post a larger version (desktop size) I'm sure lots of people would appreciate it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.