Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
577176022_a4847f35cc.jpg

Street musicians, Halifax, Nova Scotia. It was my first time blatantly taking photos of strangers!

Nikon D40x
1/160
f5.6
55mm
ISO 100

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
There is a chance I put this one up before, but I don't think so. (usually I mark the ones in the description section of my Flickr account, but I forgot on a few photos)

Lights at some sub place in the Tampa Intl' Airport. Ate there on my way to NFL debate nationals at the end of May. Sadly, I didn't advance past semifinals, but hey, I made it to nationals my first year in debate :)

[edit] sweetness! Figured out how to make an image a link :) Click for bigger version.

*ist Ds
135mm 2.8(might have been a 50 mm lense. They are MF, so Exif won't tell me. I usually shoot with the 135, but I do remember there being a railing, so I don't know if I could have gotten far enough away to focus with that lense.)
F11
1/3200
no flash
no editing
May 25, 07

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Absolutely beautiful :). Could you give us a brief tutorial how you do the things you do? Like the flower-picture: Did you use PS or something?

Of course if you don't want to spill your secrets, that's perfectly OK :).

Thanks!
For the flower shot I just let the lens do its thing, shallow depth of field. I did adjust the color and contrast in Lightroom and CS2. It looks kinda filtered, but no.
As to a tutorial...well, being pretty low on the photo totem pole, I don't feel qualified to "teach." However, I think one important thing that helps is to try to avoid (or get rid of) distractions in the frame. If it's not needed, it shouldn't be there. So, generally speaking, simpler pictures are more evocative than overly busy ones. Also, color, tone and contrast are vital elements. I'm learning more about that as I go along. Finally, there are tons of free tutorials out there if you do a search on any photo topic (especially for Photoshop).

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Drummer Girls

drummer_girl.jpg

June 9, 2007.
Seoul, Korea
Namdaemun Gate (I think that's the right name)
Nikon D40
Sigma 10-20mm​

A large number of drummer groups paraded through the streets of Seoul a couple of weeks ago. This is the girl section of a high-school troop. I wish I had had a movie mode for this scene--the colorful action was interesting and the echoing din was tremendous as hundreds of drummers beat away, each group at a different rhythm.

xcalibre

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
Hdr

Well here's my attempt at an HDR shot.
i took 3 images (-2,0,+2EV) generated an HDR image, and played with the tone mapping sliders until i got this. it's just of my street, but for a first try it turned out ok.
dsc000456nv1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.