Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffzoom91

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
Florida
Off a farry from Victoria to Vancouver

Shot with Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi at 2007-07-19
File
Model Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Shutter speed value 1/500 s
Aperture value f/10
Focal length 75 mm

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Aperture, superb shots.

VictorM, very jealous. Been trying to shoot bees with very little luck. What settings are you using? Having a bit of difficulty getting used to this lens....

Jht

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2006
Manchesterish, England
846425306_cf4cca07e3_o.jpg

Camera: Nikon D40
Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/3.8
Focal Length: 22 mm
ISO Speed: 800
Exposure Bias: 3 EV

20ftish Gapper:):):)

§HAMU§

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2006
raleigh, nc
camera: canon rebel xt
lens: ef-s canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 USM
focal length: 10mm
aperture: f/8
shutter: 1/160
iso: 100
filter: hoya smc circular polarizer

the speed of clouds

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Spindley

Spindley.jpg

Spindley
July 14, 2007
Nikon D40
Micro Nikkor 105mm D
flash, diffuser, handheld​

Interesting things can sometimes be found under leaves.

I see you started ©watermarking your images - probably a good idea considering they would sell for quite a bit. I think I told you this before, but if you ever decided to go professional I have no doubts about your success... Incredible work, as always.
Thanks! The watermarking is probably a good idea in general, given the piratical nature of the internet. I need to find a way to do it from within PS. Right now, if I want a watermark, I save a final image (usually a tif file) and then resize and mark it in a different program. It's cumbersome, so I haven't been doing it for months.

7.8.07 - Metis sur Mer, Canada
I like this one a lot. Where in Canada did you find these. (I'm Canadian, and know about the Metis)

shamus, m@lew, jht Nice!

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005
Thanks! The watermarking is probably a good idea in general, given the piratical nature of the internet. I need to find a way to do it from within PS. Right now, if I want a watermark, I save a final image (usually a tif file) and then resize and mark it in a different program. It's cumbersome, so I haven't been doing it for months.

I like this one a lot. Where in Canada did you find these. (I'm Canadian, and know about the Metis)

Couldnt you create an action-script in photoshop where you insert your logo as either a text or gif layer and then automatically lower transparency? Just a thought... I come up to visit Metis in the summer sometimes and these statues are located at a small art shop about 25km up the river from the house; they're part of an installation called "out to sea"

J'aime

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2007
camera: canon rebel xt
lens: ef-s canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 USM
focal length: 10mm
aperture: f/8
shutter: 1/160
iso: 100
filter: hoya smc circular polarizer

the speed of clouds

Great picture. that sky is just gorgous.

VictorM

Sep 12, 2006
hogtown
VictorM, very jealous. Been trying to shoot bees with very little luck. What settings are you using? Having a bit of difficulty getting used to this lens....

Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm going through a learning curve with this lens (105VR). I keep the VR turned on all the time, although I've read that the benefit diminishes as you approach higher magnification (I should try it OFF and see if it improves the photos or not). I use continous-mode AF, although it can be sketchy at these magnifications (on my D70s anyway), I still find it useful 80% of the time, once I lock onto the object (bee) I can usually hold AF even as it moves around. I've also decoupled the auto-focus and shutter release buttons because I can concentrate better (the decoupling is something I like to do anyway, not just a macro thing).

What's helping more than anything is using flash, because it lets me keep larger DOF (so I can get more than just the eyes in focus, although sometimes that's cool too) and still lets me use a shutter speed fast enough to freeze the moving bees (or whatever). I'm not using a tripod, cuz it just doesn't work for me (moving around too much), although i can certainly see the attractiveness of a tripod sometimes.

This is generally my starting point: camera on full manual, F20, 1/250sec shutter, with flash. I'm using the R1C1 flash kit, and I've normally got it set to 0EV and 4:1 ratio to get some shadows/sense of depth. Of course you can use other flash units, I know freebooter is, and he gets great stuff too. This tends to be a good starting point for me on a sunny day. Naturally I adjust as lighting changes (but I try not to drop the shutter to slow if it's a moving object because it just doesn't come out sharp).

miranda.danny

macrumors member
May 29, 2007
Providence, RI
Magazine Window

^^ That is pretty much...awesome ^^

Saw a cool item in Barnes and Noble.

Barnes and Noble, Boston MA 07/19/07

Camera: Canon EOS XTi
ISO: 400
Focal Length: 50mm
Shutter/Aperture: 1/100 @ f1.8
Lens: EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
Right now, if I want a watermark, I save a final image (usually a tif file) and then resize and mark it in a different program.
Do you have a link to that program?

How is it that you are able to make the majority of your bokeh black, thus highlighting the subject of the image?

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm going through a learning curve with this lens (105VR). I keep the VR turned on all the time, although I've read that the benefit diminishes as you approach higher magnification (I should try it OFF and see if it improves the photos or not). I use continous-mode AF, although it can be sketchy at these magnifications (on my D70s anyway), I still find it useful 80% of the time, once I lock onto the object (bee) I can usually hold AF even as it moves around. I've also decoupled the auto-focus and shutter release buttons because I can concentrate better (the decoupling is something I like to do anyway, not just a macro thing).

What's helping more than anything is using flash, because it lets me keep larger DOF (so I can get more than just the eyes in focus, although sometimes that's cool too) and still lets me use a shutter speed fast enough to freeze the moving bees (or whatever). I'm not using a tripod, cuz it just doesn't work for me (moving around too much), although i can certainly see the attractiveness of a tripod sometimes.

This is generally my starting point: camera on full manual, F20, 1/250sec shutter, with flash. I'm using the R1C1 flash kit, and I've normally got it set to 0EV and 4:1 ratio to get some shadows/sense of depth. Of course you can use other flash units, I know freebooter is, and he gets great stuff too. This tends to be a good starting point for me on a sunny day. Naturally I adjust as lighting changes (but I try not to drop the shutter to slow if it's a moving object because it just doesn't come out sharp).

Thank you so much. I like this lens, but I have found it soo difficult to get decent macro shots out of it. Don't suppose it helps, I'm still trying to get to grips with using a dSLR, as well.

Here's another of my attempts

789467847_8664f65df9.jpg

VictorM

Sep 12, 2006
hogtown
Thank you so much. I like this lens, but I have found it soo difficult to get decent macro shots out of it. Don't suppose it helps, I'm still trying to get to grips with using a dSLR, as well.

Here's another of my attempts

789467847_8664f65df9.jpg

This is good, now you just have to try and get closer :) I know, easier said than done. I am no insect expert by any means, but i'm beginning to understand their behaviour more - and of course understanding the subject is a huge part of getting a photo. I find bees can be hard to approach unless you can find them deeply engaged in a flower. Time of day is also a factor as they are more active certain times than others. Damselflies and dragonflies tend to return to the same perch over and over so you can usually stand still and wait for them to come back (although I've found dragon flies almost impossible to approach).

Try not to be discouraged, i have so many shots of bees that *did not* turn out, it isn't even funny :(

Taken last summer.

Touch_the_Sky_by_djmastawes.jpg

I like you architectural stuff.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Couldnt you create an action-script in photoshop where you insert your logo as either a text or gif layer and then automatically lower transparency? Just a thought...
I know that must be possible, I just haven't gotten around to learning how to do some of the steps.
Do you have a link to that program?

How is it that you are able to make the majority of your bokeh black, thus highlighting the subject of the image?

The program is Downsize and can be found on versiontracker.com or macupdate.com I think. It works well, and can make frames, too.

As to the black background, it's not hard to do. You need a flash; I just use the pop-up, built-in flash since it's powerful enough for close ups most of the time. I'm experimenting with a few homemade diffusers made from plastic bottles, tinfoil and duct tape that channel the light out over the subject and then diffuse it downwards. If I want a black background I choose a small aperture and fast shutter speed (I can go as high as 1/500 on manual), and I try not to illuminate the background with the diffuser. It also helps to line things up so that the background is far away. Sometimes I want a more natural background, so I might light up more of the area by holding the diffuser differently, choosing a slower shutter speed, larger aperture or a higher iso. Eventually I will get a proper flash set up, once I decide on a camera system. (The D40 is just temporary until this year's 'semi-pro' models come out. I have my weather eye on Nikon, Canon and Olympus.)

IscariotJ There are scads of macro tutorials out there on the www. Here is a link to one by a guy with lots of experience. http://www.beautifulbugs.com/beautifulbugs/howto.htm It's a good place to start, so long as one remembers that a pile of equipment (like his set up)isn't always necessary to get some good results. One thing that can help is to use a tripod, set up by a flower that is regularly visited by bugs and wait with your finger on the trigger/remote. Chasing bugs around is much harder, I think, although I do it sometimes when the insects are scarce or unpredictable. Here's another link, http://www.mplonsky.com/photo/article.htm, to a page by a guy who really has some nice stuff. http://www.pbase.com/mplonsky/insects

Jht Thanks, those pics of yours with the 105mm micro are top notch, do you find the 105m micro goes well with the D40?
Thanks. Yes, the more I use it, the more I like it. In fact I can't stop using it!

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Thanks Guys!

VictorM/freebooter, thanks a lot, guys, you've both given me lots of useful info. I think I've figured out one of my problems; I've been trying to shoot with too wide an aperture.

Thanks again, guys!

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
The program is Downsize and can be found on versiontracker.com or macupdate.com I think. It works well, and can make frames, too.

As to the black background, it's not hard to do. You need a flash; I just use the pop-up, built-in flash since it's powerful enough for close ups most of the time. I'm experimenting with a few homemade diffusers made from plastic bottles, tinfoil and duct tape that channel the light out over the subject and then diffuse it downwards. If I want a black background I choose a small aperture and fast shutter speed (I can go as high as 1/500 on manual), and I try not to illuminate the background with the diffuser. It also helps to line things up so that the background is far away. Sometimes I want a more natural background, so I might light up more of the area by holding the diffuser differently, choosing a slower shutter speed, larger aperture or a higher iso. Eventually I will get a proper flash set up, once I decide on a camera system. (The D40 is just temporary until this year's 'semi-pro' models come out. I have my weather eye on Nikon, Canon and Olympus.)
Thanks freebooter, that helps a lot. I will probably upgrade as well once I am consistently pleased with the shots I am taking and then processing into a final product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.