Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
1213239575_d6d8d5ef8e.jpg

Nikon D40x
1/800
f 5.6
55mm

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Hopper-on-Grass.jpg

Hopper on Grass
August 19, 2007.
Daegu, South Korea
Nikon D40
Micro Nikkor 105mm D
SB-800 off camera, built-in flash with diffuser​

Back on mac(ro).

I just have to say for the 4th time in this thread, Freebooter is absolutely insane. I would buy nearly every picture he submits daily if I had the cash...
Thanks! Flattered.

"Sunset On Yongji" is amazing !!! :cool:
Thanks. I like your lighthouse, as well.

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
I used the SU-4 mode, which makes the SB-800 a "super-slave" i.e. wireless but no TTL control. I don't know that much about it since I've only had the flash since Saturday. Also, the article ( http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007_08_01_archive.html middle of the long page) that tipped me toward the 800 says that the 600 doesn't have this mode. You'll need an on-camera commander either built-in (D80 or higher) or as an optional accessory, an expensive Nikon wire, or a simple 3rd party slave adapter for around 30 bucks.

Catching up on pics and this caught my eye, not sure if anyone corrected yet.

The SB-600 can do off camera fine. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/ittlslave.htm

oh, and Freebooter - great pics as always, macro is not my style, but I love the colors you get.

And Epicwelshman, the thistle and bee reminds of a Andrew Whyeth painting, great composition.

dubs

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
I have not posted any pictures in this thread, but would just like to say that I really enjoy all your pictures. In fact it has inspired me to purchase a camera myself to take with me on my hiking and camping excursions. Thank you once again!

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Catching up on pics and this caught my eye, not sure if anyone corrected yet.

The SB-600 can do off camera fine. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/ittlslave.htm

oh, and Freebooter - great pics as always, macro is not my style, but I love the colors you get.

And Epicwelshman, the thistle and bee reminds of a Andrew Whyeth painting, great composition.

Thanks.
Regarding the off camera flash thing: I think I need to clarify my previous post. I didn't say the SB-600 can't do remote in auto-ttl commander mode--which is what KR is talking about--but rather that it hasn't a SU-4 mode which allows one to do manual wireless remote flash with a camera (like the D70/50/40/40x) that does not have a flash commander. To do auto-ttl wireless remote with either a SB-600 or the SB-800, the owner of one of these cameras would need an accessory hot shoe commander (SU-800?) or another SB-800 on camera. To do manual remote flash, an SB-600 owner needs a wire or an accessory flash slave, but the SB-800 has one built-in.
Here's a post from DPReview that says it in a different way.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
Not the best picture, but I thought it was cool how you could see it's tongue!!

DSC02399.jpg

Camera: Sony DSC-H5
Shutter: 1/320
Aperture: f/3.5
Focal Length of camera lens: 50mm
Raynox DCR-250 macro lens attached to main lens.

miranda.danny

macrumors member
May 29, 2007
Providence, RI
Ok so we did it...Now where do we go?

I took this picture after getting to the top of Champlain Mtn. in Acadia National Park. We were trying to figure out where to go next.

Camera: Canon EOS XTi
Lens: Canon 50mm f/1.8 II w/circular polarizing filter
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/1250 @ f1.8

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005
I took this picture after getting to the top of Champlain Mtn. in Acadia National Park. We were trying to figure out where to go next.

Camera: Canon EOS XTi
Lens: Canon 50mm f/1.8 II w/circular polarizing filter
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/1250 @ f1.8

Nice work! Acadia National Park is one of my favorite places in the world! I'll bet you got some great pictures..

Hoverfly Feeding
Daegu, South Korea
July, 2007.
Nikon D40
Micro Nikkor 105mm D

Are the blurry areas a result of expert DOF control or is there post processing at work? I only ask because I am constantly in awe of your work and am trying to reach your level (one day)!

furious

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Australia
Are the blurry areas a result of expert DOF control or is there post processing at work? I only ask because I am constantly in awe of your work and am trying to reach your level (one day)!

I would guarantee that it is expert dof control. That nikkor macro lens is very good quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.