Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Silentwave said:
just a headlight.
January 2nd, 2006

78915956-O.jpg

Camera: Nikon D200
Aperture/Shutter: f/4.0 1/80 sec.
ISO 200
Lens: Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AIS Manual focus

Yes, I just got around to processing a shot from *january* now.

I like this image, but wished for a tighter crop. Sorry....

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
outside in

Canon Digital Rebel
1/100@f4
43mm
ISO 400

edit: in response to lu0s3r322 below, a non-grill version that looks better, IMO.:

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2005
great shot OutThere, love the symmetry and the reflection, but the grill doesn't belong IMO

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Gibsland, LA, 7/1/06

Body: Nikon d70s
Lens: Nikon 18-70 DX
Length: 18mm
Exposure: 10 seconds @ f/3.5
ISO: 1600

I took this today in Gibsland, Louisiana, day two of my photo shoot for a musician's press kit. The house I took it in was the Gibs home, the man the town is named after from years ago. Anyway, it's abandoned now. It's the dead end up a long backroad where hardly anyone lives. It's mainly thick woods on both sides of you as you drive to it. It's both really interesting, AND really creepy. For instance, inside of the house, it's like people just left one day and never returned. There is mail sitting in the kitchen area from 1985. Dishes still sit around. Towels. Etc.

They want to restore the house but nothing has been done. And slowly, it's falling down.

Anyway, as the sun was almost gone, one of the last rooms we went into had this piano in it. There was hardly any light availible. My camera couldn't autofocus. I couldn't even see anything when I looked in my viewfinder. It was basically point it in a direction and see what happened afterwards. I used a 10 second exposure and had him play a song on the piano during it. This was the result. The colors and etc come from the RAW conversion. I attached the "as shot" version too, so you could see the difference. Anyway, I don't know if others will like this shot, but it's probably my favorite of any I shot in the past two days. I think it sums up the feeling we had in the house during the entire time we were there.

bg.jpg

Attachments

• bg2.jpg
    bg2.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 64

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
FrankieTDouglas said:
Gibsland, LA, 7/1/06

I took this today in Gibsland, Louisiana, day two of my photo shoot for a musician's press kit. The house I took it in was the Gibs home, the man the town is named after from years ago. Anyway, it's abandoned now. It's the dead end up a long backroad where hardly anyone lives. It's mainly thick woods on both sides of you as you drive to it. It's both really interesting, AND really creepy. For instance, inside of the house, it's like people just left one day and never returned. There is mail sitting in the kitchen area from 1985. Dishes still sit around. Towels. Etc.

They want to restore the house but nothing has been done. And slowly, it's falling down.

Anyway, as the sun was almost gone, one of the last rooms we went into had this piano in it. There was hardly any light availible. My camera couldn't autofocus. I couldn't even see anything when I looked in my viewfinder. It was basically point it in a direction and see what happened afterwards. I used a 10 second exposure and had him play a song on the piano during it. This was the result. The colors and etc come from the RAW conversion. I attached the "as shot" version too, so you could see the difference. Anyway, I don't know if others will like this shot, but it's probably my favorite of any I shot in the past two days. I think it sums up the feeling we had in the house during the entire time we were there.

bg.jpg

Without even seeing the others I think this would be my favorite too, funny how that works, the last one, "hail mary" shot ends up the best.

Really enjoy your work.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Chip NoVaMac said:
I like this image, but wished for a tighter crop.
I debated cropping it too, but I couldn't decide on how much after about an hour, nothing felt quite right, so I gave up and posted the original :rolleyes:

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Silentwave said:
I debated cropping it too, but I couldn't decide on how much after about an hour, nothing felt quite right, so I gave up and posted the original :rolleyes:

I like this crop that I came up with from your image.

Attachments

• 78915956-O-1.jpg
    78915956-O-1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 63

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Tough living

Tough living - UCV Botanical Garden, Caracas, Venezuela

86241693_1f65308c21_o.jpg

Canon S1 IS + Raynox DCR-250 super macro

Attachments

• 86241693_1f65308c21_o.jpg
    86241693_1f65308c21_o.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 55

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
annk said:
seenew, that shot of the kids is absolutely amazing. Could you say a few words about the color and depth? One thing that always strikes me about really good, professional images, is that the color is always so....I don't know how to say it, but it's always SO much better than anything I've ever been able to do. I know a good lens is imperative, but what else? Is it in knowing how to use the lens, is it about choosing the correct parameters on the camera, is it about post-processing?

Sorry I don't have the techical vocab to explain, but you probably know what I mean.
Well, to start out: I'm no pro. I've been shooting for maybe 3 years, max. In fact, tomorrow I get my first SLR, ever. This shot was taken by my old Nikon Coolpix 8800, dubbed "SLR-Like" by dpreview.com, it was a really supped-up prosumer point-and-shoot. So in answer to you questions, as of right now, I have done nothing with my shots, lens-wise. I haven't been able to. I compose the shots, adjust the aperture and shutter, and shoot. Afterwards, I usually tweak the colors using Levels in Photoshop. I prefer high-contrast in most of my shots, as reflected here. I usually go for toned-down colors as well (as with this shot), unless the subject screams to be in living color, which I have a few shots of. I appreciate you comments a lot. :) Maybe you'd like to check out my other work on my site (seenew.net) or my deviantart.com gallery (over 500 of my works there).

I'm attending the Savannah College of Art and Design this fall, don't know what I'll major in just yet, but I'm leaning to photography for at least a minor.

In response to Chip NoVaMac: the limitations on the attachments are too small for me. I don't like to reduce my shots more than this, you lose detail and quality. Don't worry about the link disappearing, I own the site, and have for 3 years. It's not going anywhere. :)

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Here's my shot for today.
I was pulled over and in someone elses yard, and they called the cops on me. :D The cops just laughed and let me finish.

Make: NIKON
Model: E8800
Shutter Speed: 30 seconds
F Number: F/2.8
Focal Length: 9 mm
ISO Speed: 50
Date Picture Taken: Jan 21, 2006, 10:40:56 PM

10_lone.jpg

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
seenew said:
Well, to start out: I'm no pro. I've been shooting for maybe 3 years, max. In fact, tomorrow I get my first SLR, ever. This shot was taken by my old Nikon Coolpix 8800, dubbed "SLR-Like" by dpreview.com, it was a really supped-up prosumer point-and-shoot. So in answer to you questions, as of right now, I have done nothing with my shots, lens-wise. I haven't been able to. I compose the shots, adjust the aperture and shutter, and shoot. Afterwards, I usually tweak the colors using Levels in Photoshop. I prefer high-contrast in most of my shots, as reflected here. I usually go for toned-down colors as well (as with this shot), unless the subject screams to be in living color, which I have a few shots of. I appreciate you comments a lot. :) Maybe you'd like to check out my other work on my site (seenew.net) or my deviantart.com gallery (over 500 of my works there).

I'm attending the Savannah College of Art and Design this fall, don't know what I'll major in just yet, but I'm leaning to photography for at least a minor.

In response to Chip NoVaMac: the limitations on the attachments are too small for me. I don't like to reduce my shots more than this, you lose detail and quality. Don't worry about the link disappearing, I own the site, and have for 3 years. It's not going anywhere. :)

Thanks for taking the time to write that, it was very interesting. I don't know much, so I don't know what my impression is worth, but I just assumed you were a pro, or at least shooting with incredible equipment. I had no idea that sort of look was possible with a good p and s and tweaking. I'm gonna experiment with more subdued colors and more contrast, and see if I can start to get some of the same effect you did in that shot. And I look forward to checking out your site!

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
FrankieTDouglas said:
Gibsland, LA, 7/1/06

Whoops, I read your other thread first. Ignore my last question.:eek:

Great photo.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
"First Baptist Fireworks," Calhoun, LA, 7/2/06

Lens: 18-70 Nikon DX
Exposure: 6.7 s @ f/3.5 (shutter was in bulb)
ISO: 200

I found fireworks to be a tad tricky to shoot. But once I sorta found a rhythm of sorts, I realized the actual fireworks wasn't the story taking place. It was the families brought together to watch the fireworks.

fireworks.jpg

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
I no this isnt as good as some of you guys... (I'm still learning) but I thought this was pretty good from when I went to a wedding a couple days ago.

I took it was a Canon PowerShot S2 IS. The only thing I wish is that that lady wasnt in the background. haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.