Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lostinblue

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2004
Milwaukee, Wi
Mean Eyebrows

1369307285_b4ff9f14ef_b.jpg

July 15, 2007
The city of festivals.

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
Here's some of that ancient film stuff. Medium format goodness.

Taken in San Luis Obispo, CA about a month ago, just got around to scanning it.

1361395847_4bb0c6d626_b.jpg

Camera: Mamyia C220 TLR
Lens: 80mm Sekor f/2.8
Film: Fujichrome Velvia 100
Scanner: Epson 4490

rscott4563

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
Cumbria
Here's some of that ancient film stuff. Medium format goodness.

Taken in San Luis Obispo, CA about a month ago, just got around to scanning it.

<snip photo>

Camera: Mamyia C220 TLR
Lens: 80mm Sekor f/2.8
Film: Fujichrome Velvia 100
Scanner: Epson 4490

San Luis Obispo! What a place, visited it briefly during my round the world backpacking adventure, such a lovely little town...

Ryan

colinmack

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
God, that looks so surreal. *shiver* What an eerie landscape, no?

It was incredible in person...it felt like you were standing on the surface of another planet, was one of the most interesting and amazing places I've ever been.

Scavenger

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2006
I really like this shot. Did you use any filters? I have been trying to take shots like this (i.e. directly into the sun) but the foreground is silhouetted, and the background over exposed. I also have a D40x with 18-200VR and have tried several (nearly all) combinations of shutter speed and aperture.

Sorry for not replying sooner, I didnt use any filters for this shot. Just recently got my D40x - have been using it in 'P'rogrammed Exposure mode - with the exposure comp set to -0.7. I shot that with the 18-55mm lens pointed directly at the sun (hurt by eyes :D)

Sunflower and Fence - http://www.flickr.com/photos/samwo

1368047260_de037fe9f8_b.jpg

Camera: Nikon D40X
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 35 mm

colinmack

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
Beautiful shot colinmack. Did you happen to visit the Mývatn nature baths, just east of Reykjahlíð, at the end of your day? Fantastic place :)

Thanks! No, unfortunately we didn't, although I'm guessing we must have driven right past them...we spent some time driving around the lake, and then headed up to Husavik (hoping for some whale-watching, which didn't happen due to weather - it was mid-May, so still fairly cold/wet outside).

We spent almost two weeks driving around the entire island, the Myvatn area was amazing, one of the highlights of our visit for sure...!

Cheers, Colin.

Spikeanator6982

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
someday..once i get all the proper stuff...I will edit the electric lines out of my photos. O and ya..i know..there was a spot on my pictures for a month or so, till i uploaded and saw it and cleaned the inside of my camera.

IMG_1160.jpg

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
Freebooter: With your 105mm lens... do you let it auto focus or do you manually focus it yourself while doing macros? I was thinking about getting it with my D40. Sigma has a very similar lens but it won't autofocus on the D40, but the Nikon one will, and the nikon is also double the price. Most say just manual focus with macros anyway, but just wondering what you do since your macros are always so great!

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Freebooter: With your 105mm lens... do you let it auto focus or do you manually focus it yourself while doing macros? I was thinking about getting it with my D40. Sigma has a very similar lens but it won't autofocus on the D40, but the Nikon one will, and the nikon is also double the price. Most say just manual focus with macros anyway, but just wondering what you do since your macros are always so great!

Thanks!
My lens is the older, non-AFS model, the 105mm D. So, with the D40 I always manual focus. If I hand-hold, I generally set the focus--I'm getting good at guessing the field of view--and then move the camera to focus on what I want. If I can, I take several shots because missing the exact focus is so easy. That's why most macro-ers rarely use auto focus. I paid about $400 for mine, used. I really appreciate its qualities (sharpness, color, size, weight, build-quality). I'd be careful about Sigma. Don't buy one unless you can return it after thorough testing because they have genuine quality control problems. Sometimes they are good, sometimes....

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
Thanks!
My lens is the older, non-AFS model, the 105mm D. So, with the D40 I always manual focus. If I hand-hold, I generally set the focus--I'm getting good at guessing the field of view--and then move the camera to focus on what I want. If I can, I take several shots because missing the exact focus is so easy. That's why most macro-ers rarely use auto focus. I paid about $400 for mine, used. I really appreciate its qualities (sharpness, color, size, weight, build-quality). I'd be careful about Sigma. Don't buy one unless you can return it after thorough testing because they have genuine quality control problems. Sometimes they are good, sometimes....

Thank you so much for your info. Maybe i'll just try to find the same lens you use. Do you know if it is still for sale anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.