Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Here's my shot for today. Taken in my honors chemistry class, back in 2004.
It's an alcohol burner with some steel wool being burned over it.

Make: OLYMPUS CORPORATION
Model: C750UZ
Shutter Speed: 3 seconds
F Number: F/8.0
Focal Length: 6 mm
ISO Speed: 50
Date Picture Taken: Aug 11, 2004, 2:51:04 PM

flambeau.jpg

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
seenew said:
Here's my shot for today. Taken in my honors chemistry class, back in 2004.
It's an alcohol burner with some steel wool being burned over it.

Make: OLYMPUS CORPORATION
Model: C750UZ
Shutter Speed: 3 seconds
F Number: F/8.0
Focal Length: 6 mm
ISO Speed: 50
Date Picture Taken: Aug 11, 2004, 2:51:04 PM

flambeau.jpg

WOW
thats stunning, wish i had pictures like that:mad:

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Taken with my Canon S2 IS, because I wanted to accent the red, and haven't learned how to do that in Photoshop yet. I sure wish that color accent program existed on my 350D.

This one was from July, when gekko513 and I met to take pics at Aker Brygge in Oslo one evening.

1/200 @ f 4.0
72mm

Buoys.jpg

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Seenew

seenew said:
That's really cool!
Is AutoPano for Mac, or is there some other free pano-assembling software for Tiger?

Thanks. Actually, I used AutoPano Pro (for Mac), and it's far from free, but freakishly powerful.

I used to use the very good stitch program that came with my Canon cameras. For simple one or two row pano.s it's fine.

I don't know of any "free" pano. tools, but I've tried DoubleTake, which is inexpensive and quite effective.

By the way, nice work with the time exposures--makes me want to try and come up with something interesting along those lines, too.

B

BigMäc

Hedge with berries, Zürich CH - 8/12/2006

IMG_2552.jpg

(bigger)

I played with it in Photoshop and it looks quite interesting with inverted luminosity.

Camera: Canon EOS 30D
ISO: 100
Shutter/Aperture: 1/160 @ f1.8
Lens: EF 50 mm f1.8 II

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Wow, I absolutely love that photo, BigMac. I especially love the background "swirl" with the white and slight green mixed in with the black background.

What was in the background, and what's the source of that white?

B

BigMäc

Abstract said:
Wow, I absolutely love that photo, BigMac. I especially love the background "swirl" with the white and slight green mixed in with the black background.

What was in the background, and what's the source of that white?

Thanks Abstract! The background is a row of trees, with the sky shining through below them.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
August 13, 2006, West Monroe, LA

Body: Nikon D70s
Lens: Nikon 50mm 1.8
Exposure: 1/80 @ f/2.2
ISO: 400

link

Note: may not be suitable for work; altered to link form. - jsw

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Abstract said:
A photo of a friend of mine at the beach, July 29th, 2006.

Well, um..... IMHO this really doesn't have a lot of "wow!" factor.

It's not at all in focus, for one thing, and the viewer doesn't get the sense that this were deliberate, as usually creative use of some elements being out-of-focus also includes some elements which are.....

The subject isn't all that interesting, especially as we aren't able to see that much of her face.

Not quite sure what you were attempting to do here, but I think you need to go back to square one.....

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Clix Pix said:
Well, um..... IMHO this really doesn't have a lot of "wow!" factor.

It's not at all in focus, for one thing, and the viewer doesn't get the sense that this were deliberate, as usually creative use of some elements being out-of-focus also includes some elements which are.....

The subject isn't all that interesting, especially as we aren't able to see that much of her face.

Not quite sure what you were attempting to do here, but I think you need to go back to square one.....

:rolleyes:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Well I thought it looked interesting being out of focus. The one I actually wanted to show from the beach was one of her lying down (and in focus), but we can see too much of her face, and she's one of my friends who wouldn't like that. I told her earlier that I wanted to post a photo with her face in it (the one where's she's looking at a mirror and putting on earrings that I posted earlier), and she just hit laughed and hit me continuously (for fun....she always does). She said OK, but I don't think she generally likes it, so I stopped considering it and won't ask her.

Anyway, just posted this one because I'm still under the (false) impression that this one looks OK being out of focus.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Clix Pix said:
Others may disagree but I for one do not see any particular merit in this image. IMHO it does NOT look OK, it simply looks out of focus.

Unfortunately, I would have to agree and I do not see anything in the picture either. Very rarely will an OOF shot be effective (like the D-Day images even though the end result was not intentional).

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Temple Dream

TempleDream.jpg

August 1, 2006
Countryside near Daegu, South Korea
Sony DSC-R1
HDR image from 9 photos
iso 160
lens 14.3 mm (I think equivalent to 24mm)

On an evening bike ride out among the rice paddies and market gardens near Daegu, I came across this charming temple compound, seen in the background on the right. In front of such places, one often finds a kind of symbolic gate structure like the one you see in the centre. On the left is a gnarly, old tree held together with cement.

The scene was strongly backlit, so I took nine shots of varying exposure. I then used an HDR (high dynamic range) program to combine the shots into one image that captures the tones and details of both the highlights and shadows. I then applied a filter to add a touch of dreamy softness and colour.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I like that image, freebooter, and I find the techniques you're describing interesting. What's the high dynamic range program you used? How does it work? Is the halo around the things that silhouette the sky a result of the process of combining the 9 photos, or is it something you added later?

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
gekko513 said:
I like that image, freebooter, and I find the techniques you're describing interesting. What's the high dynamic range program you used? How does it work? Is the halo around the things that silhouette the sky a result of the process of combining the 9 photos, or is it something you added later?
I second this. Inquiring minds want to know!

rebscb

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2002
Photo...

Me enjoying an espresso in Vienna, Austria - June 2005. My seven year old daughter took the photo. She and more can be seen in the reflection of the lens...

Attachments

• Library - 2452.jpg
    Library - 2452.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 87

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Abstract said:
A photo of a friend of mine at the beach, July 29th, 2006.

I kinda like this photo.

The skin tones are nice, the angle interesting. The out-of-focus nature and lack of face give the imagination scope to fill in the blanks, drawing on scenes from one's own sunny, summer days in the presence of nature, youth and female companionship.

To enhance the visual poetics, I would have cropped out the backpack.

Regarding the critics, I suspect that certain individuals think in very limited terms when evaluating photographs that are less than strictly representational. Technique trumps creativity in such hearts.

rebscb

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2002
Thanks for the kind note and comments... It is exactly as it seems - a timeless moment of the most simple pleasures involving three kinds of love... a love of fresh coffee - the love of my children taking in their "other continent" and my love of my European wife in her element (she's not Austrian)...

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
gekko513 said:

I used the application, "Photomatix", although similar results can obtained from within Photoshop. A slight halo effect was formed in the HDR process, and then was exaggerated by the Flaming Pear, Aetherize filter.

I want to go running now, so tomorrow I'll post some of the original shots to show the difference between conventional and HDR imagery, and thus how useful HDR can be.

Being a novice to HDR (the posted image is one of my first attempts), I copied this information from the "Photomatix" website. It explains HDR imaging very well.

What is Photomatix?
Photomatix enables you to get the best possible results out of images of the same scene taken with different exposures. The software works with images taken with digital cameras and images scanned from films.
There are basically two ways to obtain an image with increased dynamic range out of a sequence of differently exposed images:
1. Exposure blending
Differently exposed images of the scene are combined into an image with details in both highlights and shadows.
2. Tone Mapping
A High Dynamic Range Image (HDRI) is created from differently exposed shots. The HDR image is then tone mapped in order to retrieve the image details in highlights and shadows. The tone mapping process results in an image with 8 or 16 bits per color channel that can be properly displayed on standard monitors and handled by printers.

Why would I need to shoot the same scene with different exposures?
A general problem in photography is the rendering of scenes presenting very bright highlights and deep shadows. The problem exists with traditional silver halide photography and is more pronounced with slide films. In digital photography, the problem is made even worse as the linear response of the sensors imposes an abrupt limit to the dynamic range captured once the sensor capacity is reached.
This is why you can not get what the human eye is seeing when viewing an HDR scene on common devices. If you capture details in the shadows thanks to long exposure times, you then get blown-out highlights. Conversely, you can capture details in the highlights with short exposure times, but you then loose contrast in the shadows.
Creating an HDR image from differently exposed shots is a way to solve this problem. However, HDR images present a major inconvenience for photography: they can not be displayed correctly on standard computer screens and can even less be reproduced on paper.
What we call Dynamic Range Increase is the process of correctly reproducing the highlights and shadows of a high contrast scene on common monitors and printers. That is, producing a standard 24-bit image that represents the original high dynamic range scene as the human eye has seen it.

What is the added-value of Photomatix?
The process most commonly used for Exposure Blending consists in manipulating the images in image editing softwares such as Photoshop, using multiple-steps masking techniques.
This process is complex, time-consuming and may lead to disappointing results. Moreover, Exposure Blending alone may not be sufficient when the dynamic range of the scene is particularly high. This is why we have designed Photomatix, a software that blends exposures hassle-free and processes High Dynamic Range images with a tone mapping technique that preserves local contrast.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
freebooter said:
I kinda like this photo.

The skin tones are nice, the angle interesting. The out-of-focus nature and lack of face give the imagination scope to fill in the blanks, drawing on scenes from one's own sunny, summer days in the presence of nature, youth and female companionship.

Haha, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad someone appreciates the photo. ;)

And about HDR photos, all it does is blend photos with different exposures together. It's good in situations where some part of the frame (eg: the sky) is really bright, but because of the position of the sun or whatever, your subject is really dark (eg: some trees, a person's face, a building, etc). So what you'd do is take some shots where the sky is well exposed, but the subject isn't. Then you'd try and take some well exposed photos of the trees/face/building/etc, although that will overexpose the sky. I guess you can also take some shots where the exposure is somewhere in between, and blend all these photos together so that you get a well exposed sky AND a well exposed subject, but you only really need 3 photos or so. Well, they either blend the photos, or they take the "information" from the well exposed sections of each image where the areas aren't blown out or too dark, then the software tries to form a photo out of this "good" data.

Not exactly sure how it works, but it's useful in situations where you get really dark and really light sections of your frame and want everything perfectly exposed.

And as for the rest of what he did.......I'm not quite sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.