Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xrays

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2005
Toronto, ON
Fans hoping for free t-shirt

Taken today at the Jays vs. Orioles game. I thought it was interesting when everyone was standing there with their arms out, screaming... all for a potential free t-shirt.

Canon 20D w/70-200 2.8L
1/1600 sec f/2.8 ISO-200

Attachments

• 2006-08-09 012138PM.jpg
    2006-08-09 012138PM.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 85

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
lostinblue said:
Tybee Island, Ga 1992

Absract, thanks for the kind words.

Great shot. I went to Tybee once when I was about ten, I liked it.
I'm moving to Savannah for school in September, it's about 20 minutes from Tybee.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Here's my shot for the day.
Taken the same day as my other one, "White Light Generator"

Picture
Make: NIKON
Model: E8800
Shutter Speed: 18 seconds
F Number: F/4.5
Focal Length: 9 mm
ISO Speed: 50
Date Picture Taken: Dec 18, 2005, 11:03:02 PM

i-185s.jpg

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
xrays, I like that shot, especially the depth of field.

Seenew, I really like the effect 9 mm gives.

Lau, I like your pic but would like to see more detail in the grass. I'm a n00b at this myself, but if you play with the contrast/exposure/brightness or some such combo in iPhoto, maybe the grass will get more detail?? :confused: I s'pose all the great PS people here know how to change just the lower half in PS, but that's way over my head, I'm afraid. :eek:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
annk said:
Lau, I like your pic but would like to see more detail in the grass. I'm a n00b at this myself, but if you play with the contrast/exposure/brightness or some such combo in iPhoto, maybe the grass will get more detail?? :confused: I s'pose all the great PS people here know how to change just the lower half in PS, but that's way over my head, I'm afraid. :eek:

Yeah, I'm a "n00b" myself and have just started learning this past January. I can't believe how much I have learned. Even by March, my friends thought I had been taking lessons because I seem to know a lot about lenses and stuff without being taught. :p Hey, nobody taught me, per se, but I did learn a lot just by reading here and at other photography forums (where I dare not post :eek: ).

But I can't do anything in Photoshop and really want to know what "adjusting curves" is, because I read this a lot by the more experienced photographers here and elsewhere.

Anyway, I was going to suggest something similar about the grass, but I was going to suggest that she point her camera into the air, hold the AE-L (exposure lock button), frame the photo the way it is now, and shoot the photo using flash to light up the grass. That way she perfectly exposes the sky and underexposes the darker grass (if no flash is used), but with the flash present, the grass also ends up well exposed.

Does that make sense? Can she do that, or would the flash give the grass an uneven lighting effect where the centre of the grassy region well exposed, but the outer grasses underexposed? :confused:

lostinblue

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2004
Milwaukee, Wi
seenew said:
Great shot. I went to Tybee once when I was about ten, I liked it.
I'm moving to Savannah for school in September, it's about 20 minutes from Tybee.
I had moved there for the same reason. I went to SCAD. I enjoyed my time there very much, the school and Savannah. Your photos on here have been great. Keep it up.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Abstract said:

Anyway, I was going to suggest something similar about the grass, but I was going to suggest that she point her camera into the air, hold the AE-L (exposure lock button), frame the photo the way it is now, and shoot the photo using flash to light up the grass. That way she perfectly exposes the sky and underexposes the darker grass (if no flash is used), but with the flash present, the grass also ends up well exposed.

Does that make sense? Can she do that, or would the flash give the grass an uneven lighting effect where the centre of the grassy region well exposed, but the outer grasses underexposed? :confused:

I hope someone who knows answers that, because it sounds very clever and it would solve my own problems when I try to take that sort of shot. :)

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Suseong Lake Duck Boats

DuckBoatsEvening.jpg

August 1, 2006
Suseong Lake, Daegu, South Korea
Sony DSC-R1
f/8@n/a
20mm (possibly equiv. to 28mm)
normal program

On sunny evenings and weekends, locals may decide to climb into a duck and take a spin around the reservoir.

TrumpWorld Enterprises builds a major set of high-rise apartments in the distance.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
seenew said:
Here's my shot for the day.
Taken the same day as my other one, "White Light Generator"

Picture
Make: NIKON
Model: E8800
Shutter Speed: 18 seconds
F Number: F/4.5
Focal Length: 9 mm
Date Picture Taken: Dec 18, 2005, 11:03:02 PM

<Snip>

Chris, your photos are amazing. I wish I were you.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
jared_kipe said:
Unless he has another lens infront then its only 35mm equivelent. But it does look pretty wide angle.

Yeah, it's whatever the widest possible on that 8800. :D I never understood.

And thanks a lot, DJMastaWes. But no, you would not want to be me. :p

L

Lau

annk and Abstract, funnily enough I did have a play in photoshop before I uploaded it, and I think I've got it looking good on screen, but saving it for the web screws with the contrast. I didn't want to use the flash, because the sun was shining through the leaves (particularly the red ones) really nicely, and in the one I've got on screen you get dark green grass with some really nice sunlit red leaves in the middle, and a few bright green. Unfortunately it loses all this when saved for the web. :(

I shall have a bit more of a play around and see what I can do. :D

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Lau said:
annk and Abstract, funnily enough I did have a play in photoshop before I uploaded it, and I think I've got it looking good on screen, but saving it for the web screws with the contrast. I didn't want to use the flash, because the sun was shining through the leaves (particularly the red ones) really nicely, and in the one I've got on screen you get dark green grass with some really nice sunlit red leaves in the middle, and a few bright green. Unfortunately it loses all this when saved for the web. :(

I shall have a bit more of a play around and see what I can do. :D

I've had that happen, it's really disappointing, I've uploaded something only to have it look different than in my iPhoto. The weird thing is that it only seems to happen sometimes (either that, or my eye is just not developed enough to see it always).

L

Lau

annk said:
I've had that happen, it's really disappointing, I've uploaded something only to have it look different than in my iPhoto. The weird thing is that it only seems to happen sometimes (either that, or my eye is just not developed enough to see it always).

I know, the colours just totally wash out. Here's a different version, although the grass is more visible, the colours are much less vivid. Curse the screen! Printing's much easier. :p

Edit: Actually, that's almost the same! Balls. I think I'll just print it out. :D

Attachments

• grassII.jpg
    grassII.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 77

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Sunset at my cottage, Lake Dalrymple in Ontario 8/07/06

Camera: Nikon d50
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 20mm
Shutter/Aperture: 1/400 @ f10
Lens: Kit lens

Kinda reminds me of being alone, something along those lines. This is the first picture I've ever posted on here so hopefully someone can comment on it.

Picture 2.jpg

ashley

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2006

Kinda reminds me of being alone, something along those lines. This is the first picture I've ever posted on here so hopefully someone can comment on it.

I'll comment! I like it - especially the bottle on the chair. :)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
JonHimself said:

Kinda reminds me of being alone...
Geeze, I wish my "alone" was that gorgeous! :eek: Being alone would never be all that bad if it were like that photo all the time. :D

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
JonHimself said:

View attachment 54782

Great shot. Lovely colours, must be a great cottage. How big is the lake? Almost looks like a Corona ad. What kind of brew is that?

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
rickvanr said:
Great shot. Lovely colours, must be a great cottage. How big is the lake? Almost looks like a Corona ad. What kind of brew is that?

corona ad was the first thing i thought. damn marketing. but a great shot. how many beers did you have before you could spare one for the picture. i mean it's still full.....

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
my shot of the day.

Long exposure of hundreds of moths. :)

Make: OLYMPUS CORPORATION
Model: C750UZ
Shutter Speed: 8 seconds
F Number: F/3.2
Focal Length: 10 mm
Date Picture Taken: May 23, 2004, 10:13:23 PM

inTheLimelight.jpg

maxdet

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2006
Geneva, Switzerland
I took this picture on my last trip to Italy in July. Sunrise on the Genoa Bay at about 5AM from a small town called Alassio.

Canon EOS 350D, focal length 18mm

This one one was take in October 2005. I was in Talnoo, a small village at the feet of the Himalays in India. Believe me sunsets over there are simply imazing

And this last one was take in the same place: sunrise on the tips on the mountains.

while i was in India(two last photos) I only have a pocket camera... quality not great but the colours came out well, i boosted them a tiny bit to give more impression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.