Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Clix Pix said:
Others may disagree but I for one do not see any particular merit in this image. IMHO it does NOT look OK, it simply looks out of focus.

For a humble opinion, you do seem to assert it often.
Not trying to start a fight.

Just maybe back off the guy a little..?:eek:

Cocobolo

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
St. Paul, MN
Kia Ora Savage, Rangiroa, French Polynesia

Make: Sony
Model: DSC-N1
Shutter Speed: 30 seconds
F Number: F/2.8
Focal Length: 7.9 mm
ISO Speed: 64
Date Picture Taken: Mar 19, 2006, evening

There's no electricity on the island, so we decided to have some fun with the lanterns.

Attachments

• Kia Ora Savage.jpg
    Kia Ora Savage.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 147

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
freebooter said:
I used the application, "Photomatix", although similar results can obtained from within Photoshop. A slight halo effect was formed in the HDR process, and then was exaggerated by the Flaming Pear, Aetherize filter."
With a free download for Mac and Windows, this is a technique I've got to try. I've been clamoring for higher dynamic range sensors and this seems like a very interesting substitute. Thanks for enlightening us.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Cocobolo said:
Make: Sony
Model: DSC-N1
Shutter Speed: 30 seconds
F Number: F/2.8
Focal Length: 7.9 mm
ISO Speed: 64
Date Picture Taken: Mar 19, 2006, evening

There's no electricity on the island, so we decided to have some fun with the lanterns.

Really interesting shot, I like it a lot!

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Abstract said:
Well I thought it looked interesting being out of focus. The one I actually wanted to show from the beach was one of her lying down (and in focus), but we can see too much of her face, and she's one of my friends who wouldn't like that. I told her earlier that I wanted to post a photo with her face in it (the one where's she's looking at a mirror and putting on earrings that I posted earlier), and she just hit laughed and hit me continuously (for fun....she always does). She said OK, but I don't think she generally likes it, so I stopped considering it and won't ask her.

Anyway, just posted this one because I'm still under the (false) impression that this one looks OK being out of focus.

I do see that it can be viewed as OOF and sort of unintentional/uninteresting. But since you posted it, I'm assuming you either took it this way on purpose, or it was a snap you were pleased with, not just a "bad pic".

Personally, I like the sort of dream-like quality, which the model's pose suits well. I think the backpack needs to be cropped out, as someone else suggested, and if it weren't quite so out of focus and a bit less darker (less exposed??), all that MIGHT have lead to more of the impressionistic effect I think you were after. (Take all this with a giant grain of salt, mind you - I'm still very n00bish about these things. :eek: )

So I like what I think you were trying to, I just wonder if a few adjustments would've made it stronger. But I do easily see how it can be viewed as just an OOF snap. And to be honest, I often find it hard to know what's actual technique, and what's taste. (My own lack of experience showing up there!)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
seenew said:
For a humble opinion, you do seem to assert it often.
Not trying to start a fight.

Just maybe back off the guy a little..?:eek:

Sometimes I do come on a bit strongly, don't I?

Actually, I've always used IMHO as meaning, "in my honest opinion," rather than "in my humble opinion." Those initials can mean either... :)

One reason people post here is to share, yes, but isn't it also to learn? I hope that Abstract may have learned something from the discussion that ensued.
Yes, the image did rather disturb me. There IS such a thing as creative "soft-focus" or having bits of an image OOF while others are sharply delineated in order to achieve a specific effect. That didn't happen with this particular image. Instead it came across as simply a poorly focused and poorly composed snapshot. One reason I chose to comment was that we all know that Abstract can do much better work than this!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Clix Pix said:
One reason people post here is to share, yes, but isn't it also to learn? I hope that Abstract may have learned something from the discussion that ensued.

I still like the image for a similar reason that annk described, that being the "dream-like" quality of it. That, and what freebooter said about "female companionship." It was like that, I guess, but it was more like a perfect, carefree time, or maybe a daydream sparked by a memory from long ago. It's also like when male characters in movies die, and they're going up towards some white light and they have this pleasant dream-like state where they see their wife or girlfriend before they die, and it's really bright, but not too clear. Kind of like that.

I realize that some images have elements that are out of focus while one thing is in focus. I just liked the entire thing looking like an unclear dream or daydream. It's not well composed, though.

The only thing I really learned is that most people consider photos that are blurry to be only that........blurry photos. :p People just want to capture different views of reality when they take photos, I guess.

annk said:
And to be honest, I often find it hard to know what's actual technique, and what's taste.
Why does it matter?

It's like in another thread where they're (once again) trying to decide whether Pluto is a planet or not. My questions is how this would change things either way. It's just a label, isn't it? It won't change research efforts, and it won't change the results we have, as if it's invalid now that Pluto isn't a planet, or it is a planet.

Anyway, I like it and was actually thinking about making some other photos blurrier. :p :D Actually, I was going to duplicate some night photos from a particular set taken in the city, and make them all sepia and slightly blurry (although less so) for the same reasons I mentioned above. It did work for my boat photo (that "Masterpiece" boat photo that was also slightly blurred (edited)).

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Fallen Leaves, at a night market, taken on July 27th, 2006

It's not every day I see my national symbol scattered all over the place. Oh, and the fact that it's similar to autumn weather in Canada on that day made it a bit odd as well. I haven't seen colourful autumn leaves fall in 2-3 years.

Too bad they're not real.

Attachments

• Fallen leaves.JPG
    Fallen leaves.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 88

ScrewzLuse

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2006
I'm a nub to digital photography but decided I did want to get into it a tad so last March I bought myself a camera I thought I could get into and not too expensive, the Olympus C-765 UltraZoom. Well, I just lately had the chance to take some good pictures (well, pictures I like). I really haven't figured out what all the settings on my camera will do for me so don't expect anything too amazing but here's two shots I do like.

I don't recall the settings I had used unfortunately. heh....

Attachments

• P7190077.jpg
    P7190077.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 112
  • P3270102.JPG
    P3270102.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 85

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Sorry about my last photo, if anyone was offended. I'm pretty sure there's a no-nudity rule on this forum, but given the pose while still clothed, may not have been the best for those viewing while at work.

8/5/06, Shreveport, LA

Body: Nikon D70s
Lens: Nikon 18-70 DX
Exposure: 1/250 @ f/3.8
Length: 22mm
ISO: 200

010.jpg

Cocobolo

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
St. Paul, MN
viciousone8688 said:
This photo just got me a noteworthy on last weeks Photo Friday "Private" Contest.

Wow! Quite intriguing shot! At first I thought it was an oil well on fire, but now I realized that it's twin meteors falling from the sky.:p

rglatter

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2006
Arkansas
This photo was taken August 8, 2006 in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. It is my sister and dad. It was taken with a Nikon Coolpix 4800.

216399543_e5b7eb2d6c.jpg

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
viciousone8688 said:
This photo just got me a noteworthy on last weeks Photo Friday "Private" Contest.

Body: Canon Digital Rebel XT
Exposure: 13 sec @ f/3.5
Length: 22mm
ISO: 100

wow. awesome shot.

any chance you'd make a wallpaper out of this?

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Sunset at Suseong, with Ducks

ducksunpost.jpg

August 1, 2006
Suseong Lake, Daegu, South Korea
Sony DSC-R1
iso 160
f/6.3@0.004s
24mm

There is something oddly compelling about the duck boats on this reservoir.

I used the "highlight and shadow" adjustments in Photoshop to resurrect a bit of the shadow detail.

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
Rhode Island
A picture of my pet duck, Jasper. He likes to eat dirt for some reason. So I snapped a shot of it when he was saving some for seconds.

8/8/06, Burrillville, RI

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 68

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
FrankieTdouglas, I had a look at your swimming pool photo. Nice, but I thought that the shadows looked quite harsh. The pose also looked really uncomfortable and forced. But hey, she looks quite flexible.:) I like your latest portrait though.

Bevar Christiania; 27/05/06; CPH, DK

bc.jpg

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
As many of you know, I'm still not in the DSLR world and even if I was you guys would still all put me to shame.:eek: This was done with...

Sony Cybershot DSC-W50
Aperture: f 2.8
ISO: 80

Taken on 07/27/06

Click for full size, it's really nice if you do.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.