Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
The last shot I posted was posted yesterday (afternoont's not 12:50AM) so I'll post today.

Name - Stone
Date - July 30th 2006
Camera - Fuji Finepix S5000
ISO - 200
Aperture - F3.2
Shutter - 1/110

I went for a walk when I took this photo. I thought the rocks would be a neat photo to take, so there you have it.

073006stonehx2.png

Preview of tomorrows image:
previewqn5.jpg

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
macdaddy121 said:
My first time trying out photography. Got the camera 2 days ago and this was the first attempts. I hope everyone likes it....well I just hope they don't suck

Don't worry, I doubt they'll suck if you like them. ;) "Sucking" is all relative anyway. Most of the photos posted here would suck, or at least look like very simple ideas, compared to what some hardcore amateurs post.

Cocobolo

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
St. Paul, MN
Vail, Colorado

Make: Sony
Model: DSC-P150
Shutter Speed: 1/320 seconds
F Number: F/5.6
Focal Length: 7.9 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Date Picture Taken: Dec 21, 2005, afternoon

Last run of the day. I used my ski goggles as a filter. Not that this is an incredible picture or anything, but I think that anyone who loves to ski can share with me in the bliss of a moment like this. Just 3 months 'till first tracks!

DSC02124_3.jpg

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
No idea what this is......um......"Protrusions from a cactus-like plant", Botanic gardens, 2 days ago. :)

Taken with a Nikon D50 and Sigma 24-70 mm f/2.8 macro lens at focal length of 70 mm.

Attachments

• 2006-08-18 Botanic Gardens 42.JPG
    2006-08-18 Botanic Gardens 42.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 90

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Road Kill

roadkillweb.jpg

The horror, the horror....

Daegu, South Korea
August 15, 2006
Pentax Optio W10
f/5.6@1/200
iso 64

While living and working in the forests of the Canadian west, I saw many dead black bears and grizzlies on the side of the road. I even killed one, myself, with my truck one dark and rainy night--NOT good. But it was with shock and dismay that I came across this tragic scene.

Bocheememon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
Fertile, MN
Abstract said:
No idea what this is......um......"Protrusions from a cactus-like plant", Botanic gardens, 2 days ago. :)

Taken with a Nikon D50 and Sigma 24-70 mm f/2.8 macro lens at focal length of 70 mm.

Woo! I need a cold shower after browsing that photo! Actually, I do need a shower because I'm dirty today :p

Nice angle on that image Abstract!

Edit: freebooter- The poor teddybear!!! *sobs bitterly*

Edit 2: Whoops! Did the wrong assignment. This is for urban right? I live in the country!!! *cry*

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Cocobolo Ski Shot

Cocobolo

Good idea to use the goggles. The pic. does bring back my teen-ski years...good clean fun, as it were. But you don't mention what ski hill/place you were at.

Cocobolo

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
St. Paul, MN
freebooter said:

Daegu, South Korea
August 15, 2006
Pentax Optio W10
f/5.6@1/200
iso 64

While living and working in the forests of the Canadian west, I saw many dead black bears and grizzlies on the side of the road. I even killed one, myself, with my truck one dark and rainy night--NOT good. But it was with shock and dismay that I came across this tragic scene.

"Lovely"!

Cocobolo

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
St. Paul, MN
freebooter said:
Cocobolo

Good idea to use the goggles. The pic. does bring back my teen-ski years...good clean fun, as it were. But you don't mention what ski hill/place you were at.

Sorry, I usually put the location in the title, but it's so small, it's easy to miss. It was shot at Vail, specifically at the top of Northwood Express Lift.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Up To The Sky

Name - Up To The Sky
Date Taken - July 30th 2006
ISO - 200
F Number - F3.2
Shutter Speed - 1/1000

I took this the same day as I took Stone. It's a building that's directly behind my house It's really neat because my whole street are all homes, however the rest of the area around use is surrounded by really tall apartment buildings.

073006uptotheskyju6.png

previewre8.jpg

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
freebooter said:
roadkillweb.jpg

Daegu, South Korea
August 15, 2006
Pentax Optio W10
f/5.6@1/200
iso 64

Love it in a strange way.

My ex called me their "Pooh Bear". So maybe I have a tainted view on this image.

Call me sick, but I would love to have a file large enough to do an 8x10 of this one. Call it "therapy". :D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
DJMastaWes said:
Name - Up To The Sky
ISO - 200
F Number - F3.2
Shutter Speed - 1/1000

I took this the same day as I took Stone. It's a building that's directly behind my house It's really neat because my whole street are all homes, however the rest of the area around use is surrounded by really tall apartment buildings.

073006uptotheskyju6.png

Truly stunning. Love the contrast of the hard and soft elements. Too bad it was taken outside of the current assignment, you have a "winner" there.

Cocobolo

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
St. Paul, MN
My bear picture.

Alright, this is my weirdest post. Since freebooter got me thinking about bears, I had to post this.

When my father graduated from art college, his first jobs was at a plastic company. One day a honey company asked the plastic company for a container that looked like a bear. Since my dad had some moderate carving skills, he ended up carving a prototype bear out of clay. They liked it, made a mold from that carving and voilà, the honey bear. He had no idea that it would be so popular. In fact, he begrudgingly carved the bear, thinking that a project like that was beneath an art college graduate.

This kind of sounds like something I could have made up, but I swear I'm telling the truth! The story of the honey bear is super sacred in my family (it's all we have!), and I'd hate to think that someone thinks I made this up. :eek:

I drew a beard on the bear (my dad has a beard).

Date: 3/17/2006, 4:30 pm
Camera: Sony DSC-N1
Shutter Speed: 1/40 seconds
F Number: F/2.8
ISO Speed: 125

DSC00023.jpg

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
DJMastaWes said:
Name - Up To The Sky
ISO - 200
F Number - F3.2
Shutter Speed - 1/1000

073006uptotheskyju6.png

previewre8.jpg

Man, you need a new career, and it should be taking photos of buildings from angles. Nice title, eh? ;)

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Chip NoVaMac said:
Truly stunning. Love the contrast of the hard and soft elements. Too bad it was taken outside of the current assignment, you have a "winner" there.

I would think that a picture like this of an apartment building would fit right in with the urban assignment. The assignment threads are made more interesting by broad interpretation / different takes on the theme. Not that it matters - the important thing is sharing the images, not so much where they're posted.

I really like this one. :)

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
annk said:
I would think that a picture like this of an apartment building would fit right in with the urban assignment. The assignment threads are made more interesting by broad interpretation / different takes on the theme. Not that it matters - the important thing is sharing the images, not so much where they're posted.

I really like this one. :)
I also like it. I think the assignment thread is quite strict on only having pictures that are taken in the assignment period. There's a separate gallery thread, though, for pictures with an urban / building theme that aren't shot in the assignment timeframe.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
gekko513 said:
I also like it. I think the assignment thread is quite strict on only having pictures that are taken in the assignment period. There's a separate gallery thread, though, for pictures with an urban / building theme that aren't shot in the assignment timeframe.

Oi, is the assignment time over already?? I thought it went til the end of the month...(oh, I get it, his pic wasn't taken this month, sorry...:eek: ).

Yeah, the only really strict aspect is the time frame, which is fine, because as gekko points out there's also a gallery.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Abstract said:
Man, you need a new career, and it should be taking photos of buildings from angles. Nice title, eh? ;)
Lol, thanks!

Me and a few friends are going out in a few days to old montreal and takeing a bunch of pics there. I'll come back with a lot of nice stuff hopefully.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Cessna 210 at its Airport Hanger (fuel tank under the Babob tree)
Ruaha, Tanzania

ruaha_airport_c(IMG_4856).jpg

Canon A80
1/500sec
f/5.6
focal length: 7.8mm (?? equivalent)
July 2nd, 2006

-hh

(Yes, still picking through the Africa stuff! Have pulled out 319 (13%) out of 2540 reviewed (57% of total), leaving only 1907 more images to review on first culling cut through.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Another day, another photo.

"Brisbane City Lights". Taken a week before the end of July while standing on the South Bank of Brisbane using my Nikon D50 and Tokina 12-24 mm, I believe.

Sorry about the file size. I just installed Adobe Lightroom Beta 3, and exported it from there rather than just dragging it from iPhoto to my desktop and using an Automator to resize it. The files come out massive. I'm loving some aspects of Lightroom, but the way the cropping "window" (??) needs to be dragged is ass-backwards, and therefore, counterintuitive.

Attachments

• Bright lights, big city.jpg
    Bright lights, big city.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 95

Bocheememon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
Fertile, MN
Abstract said:
Another day, another photo.

"Brisbane City Lights". Taken a week before the end of July while standing on the South Bank of Brisbane using my Nikon D50 and Tokina 12-24 mm, I believe.

Sorry about the file size. I just installed Adobe Lightroom Beta 3, and exported it from there rather than just dragging it to my desktop and using an Automator to resize it. The files come out massive. I'm loving some aspects of Lightroom, but the way the cropping "window" (??) needs to be dragged is ass-backwards, and therefore, counterintuitive.

Very nice photograph Abstract! The colors of the water are rich and saturated. So I take it you live in the city then? Must be wonderful! The land out here in the midwest is flat, but it is a beautiful type of minimalism. It makes you focus on the plants and wildlife hidden in the wide expanse.

One suggestion: The photo looks like it could be straightened slightly. It tilts to the right, unless it is just the lens or maybe the image is straight.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Haha, no you're absolutely right. The buildings tilt to the right. I had it straightened in iPhoto, but imported a bunch of completely unedited photos into Adobe Lightroom to test it out, and just forgot to change it. :eek: I resubmitted an edited version of the same photo.

I don't live in Brisbane. I was only there for vacation. Nice place, though. It's right near the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast. :)

Anyway, now the majority of the buildings are straight, while some are now leaning to the left. Must be my low perspective --- they just don't cooperate. *shakes fist*

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Hey everyone - great pics.

Please, though, start out by letting us know, at a minimum where (province/state/country) and what specific date you took the picture.

Please don't just post:

"Tree"

This, for example, is excellent:

Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.