Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

otter

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2006
Darwin, NT
Tweety
On sailboat, Bainbridge Island, WA
8/26/2006

Attachments

• IMGP2441-w.jpg
    IMGP2441-w.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 117

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Dirtyman: The God

Dirtymanpost.jpg

Moonkkang Academy,
Daegu, South Korea
July 5, 2006.
Sony DSC-R1
iso 800
e.v. +1.3
f4.5@1/80

One week, some of the EFL students at my place of work had to study myths. Then they made a poster depicting some myth of their own making. This one is from another teacher's class.
Though Korean students aren't famous for their imagination--it being generally discouraged in favor of rote/practical learning--this wonderful creation speaks to one of humanity's universal constants: potty-humour. The Dirtyman is not actually an original idea; there is a Dungman character here popular as a theme in novelty stationery... :p

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Bird in flight

Healesville Sanctuary in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, has a large number of Australian creatures on display. One of their centrepieces is the "birds of prey" demonstration, whereby a number of large birds (raptors, eagles, etc.) native to Australia fly around and show off their natural instincts (like the bird that instinctively knows how to break open an emu's egg to get at the yolk inside, by using a stone.)

I managed a few decent shots of one of them in flight; this is probably the pick of the bunch. f/8, 1/640th of a second, 285mm (on a 1.6 crop body), ISO 400, AI Servo mode on the 20D (using the 100-400mm lens). Taken on Friday, 25th August. Probably would have done a little better to crank the ISO up to 800 for a 1/1200 shutter speed, but you live and learn - this is the first time I've been out shooting a bird in flight. Or maybe a drop down to f/5.6; of course, I was using the camera's fully automatic exposure settings. Sigh. (Not sure if I had the flash on, though.)

And yes, the wing on the left is juuuuuuust inside the frame. This shot is scaled, not cropped, btw.

greenmac

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Adelaide
Aussie Rules Football, loacal game Reynella 27/05/2006
Nikon D50
ISO:200
1/1000s
F/4.2
Lens: 70-300mm F/4-5.6 G
Focal Length 90mm

Attachments

• footballscott.JPG
    footballscott.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 79

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
ksz said:
6/29/03 - Carson Mansion, Eureka, California, 10:00am

Body: Canon PowerShot G2
Lens: Built-In
Exposure: 1/320 @ f/4
Length: 10.6875mm :)confused: )
ISO: Auto
It should be a nice shot, but there's something about it that makes me think that it's been over-sharpened. Or maybe the colours have been over-saturated during post-processing. Something like that makes me not like it as much as I feel I should, and it's bugging the heck out of me that I can't figure out exactly what it is. (Not an attack on you personally, ksz, just trying to figure out why it looks off to me.)

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
sjl said:
It should be a nice shot, but there's something about it that makes me think that it's been over-sharpened. Or maybe the colours have been over-saturated during post-processing. Something like that makes me not like it as much as I feel I should, and it's bugging the heck out of me that I can't figure out exactly what it is. (Not an attack on you personally, ksz, just trying to figure out why it looks off to me.)
Actually the only modification was to lower the highlights due to the strong side-sun, and boost shadows. Hence, contrast change. Followed by a crop.

otter

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2006
Darwin, NT
snap58 said:
Well done, great use of DOF, any data to share?

Thanks Snap and Seenew!

Pentax *ist DL
f/5.6
200mm
1/750s
iso 200

Lens is a 80-200mm Pentax-F SMC. The lens came as a kit with the camera.

I managed to work my way to within about 8 feet of the birds and they paid me no mind. It was still rather tricky getting any decent shots of them, though. Boat lines and wires in the way, getting just the right composition, exposure screwed up. Most were about 2 stops over exposed because the camera was apparently metering off the sky in the background too much. I took probably over 50 shots and maybe 2 or 3 were any good.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
ksz said:
Actually the only modification was to lower the highlights due to the strong side-sun, and boost shadows. Hence, contrast change. Followed by a crop.
Hm, yes, I can see how that would do it. Fair call ... strong sun and shadows does make it hard to get a good end result.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
French National Canoe & Kayak Championships
Grau du Roi (near Montpellier)
August 27th, 2006
Minolta Dimage A2
1/1250
f/3.2
35.4 mm

kayakwu6.png

Thanks to seenew for the inspiration to try tilting my camera around to change the effect. I'm still trying to figure it out, but I think this is a decent effort.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
snap58 said:
This is great, and you definitely aren't in Kansas.

Thanks, I got a whole series of kids in that fountain. Small Chinese children are just plain cute, and you can't go wrong with water. :)

As for being in Kansas, just click on my signature. :D

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
annk said:
Thanks, I got a whole series of kids in that fountain. Small Chinese children are just plain cute, and you can't go wrong with water. :)

As for being in Kansas, just click on my signature. :D

I have, several times, that's great. I am in fact, in Kansas. : ) Looking forward to seeing more.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Yes Bokeh indeed macgfxdesigner. Fantastic shot. Colours, sharpness, dof....I can't do anything but sit and stare. You can even see the pollen on the stamen!! I am really enjoying the work that you are posting, are you making money from your images?

annk, nice shot. You really captured the moment. It looks like you had fun in China!

Well done on turning things on their head gauchogolfer. The only critique that I have, is that I would like to have seen the canoe going diagonally from TL to BR to balance the composition. I'm looking forward to seeing some from the competition. I've always wanted to shoot whitewater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.