Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
cookie1105 said:
Well done on turning things on their head gauchogolfer. The only critique that I have, is that I would like to have seen the canoe going diagonally from TL to BR to balance the composition. I'm looking forward to seeing some from the competition. I've always wanted to shoot whitewater.

Thanks! I agree about the composition problem in this one, as I said it's the first time I thought to try twisting my camera off-axis for a shot like this. I'll be sure to keep that more in mind at my next opportunity. As for whitewater, it was actually a race in the Mediterranean, sea kayaks and outrigger canoes. There were some surfing opportunities, but no real whitewater.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
cookie1105 said:
Here is mine for the day. 9 month old Julie (not mine:) )

I know that look! She's heading for the camera. Did you manage to
get the greasy stains of your filter? Cute picture though.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Having lunch, 4 february 2006
Canon 350D, 85m, f2.0, 1/125. uncropped, no flash.
IMG_0681s.jpg

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
oblomow said:
I know that look! She's heading for the camera. Did you manage to
get the greasy stains of your filter? Cute picture though.

LOL :D; No filter, just a hood and she definitely got her greasy hands on that.

Is that the 85mm f/1.8 you've used for that shot? It looks like you're getting some good results from it, if it is.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
cookie1105 said:
LOL :D; No filter, just a hood and she definitely got her greasy hands on that.

Is that the 85mm f/1.8 you've used for that shot? It looks like you're getting some good results from it, if it is.

Yes, It's the 85/1.8. I really like it. Especially in low light situations, indoors. Ideal for making portraits of the kids without them realising that they're being
photographed.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
otter said:
Tweety
On sailboat, Bainbridge Island, WA
8/26/2006
Hope you don't mind if I offer some constructive criticism. If you've ever visited The Radiant Vista's Daily Critique, you'll see how Craig Tanner suggests improvements.

I think there was a lot of potential in this scene, but a very narrow depth of field is probably not well suited here because you've got a row of birds on deck.

If I could improve this shot, I would first remove the strong central reflection circled in red. Next, I would have preferred a wider depth of field showing 3 birds before tapering off (marked in a blue X) because there's a pleasing line of birds within the 2 yellow lines that would have been nice to see a little more clearly. If there was only one bird on the rail, then the focus point and depth would have been fine.

Attachments

• IMGP2441-w-mod.jpg
    IMGP2441-w-mod.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 104

ashley

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2006
originally posted by beavo451 Edit in sRGB colorspace.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but how do you do that?

" Long Way Home," 7/29/2006, Asheville NC

Some pretty heavy editing - cropped, changed the contrast and bumped up the saturation, I think.

227331119_3c743c2dbd.jpg

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
annk said:
1/400 @ f 7.1
125 mm
ISO 100

IMG_1763.jpg

Nice one! I love pictures of cute little kids, and this one is classic. Her expression/posture is so genuine.

Not to be critical, but only by way of suggestion, perhaps lightening the shot might have been useful. Maybe it's just the way I have my screen adjusted, but she looks a bit too dark.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Took this shot two years ago, I think. My art class was outside on the hill doing Raku glaze firing for our ceramics. Really interesting process with a beautiful result. Part of the process involves putting freshly fired pottery directly into a trashcan of newspaper, which immediately catches fire. The burning paper smokes the pottery so that any unglazed areas turn pitch black. This shot was taken as someone was opening up one of the cans to check inside.
Took this shot with my old (now stolen) Olympus C-750UZ

grandOpening.jpg

B

BigMäc

Old factory, Rottweil, D - 27/08/2006

IMG_3200.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 30D
ISO: 160
Shutter/Aperture: 1/160 @ f4
Lens: EF 50 mm f1.8 II

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Little Posers

littleposers.jpg

Waiting for the KTX bullet train to Seoul, I spotted these kids with their dad. People with daughters or sisters may recognize the prima ballerina pose.

Daegu Station, Daegu, South Korea
July 8, 2006
Sony DSC R1
f/8@1/250
71.5mm
iso 400
cropped a lot, only about 20% left, so it's not terribly sharp

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
freebooter said:
Nice one! I love pictures of cute little kids, and this one is classic. Her expression/posture is so genuine.

Not to be critical, but only by way of suggestion, perhaps lightening the shot might have been useful. Maybe it's just the way I have my screen adjusted, but she looks a bit too dark.

Thanks, I will try that. All I did was sharpen a bit - - I'll go back and work with it a bit more and see what happens. And since my own screen isn't calibrated, could be I'd get a nasty surprise if I printed it.

otter

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2006
Darwin, NT
ksz said:
Hope you don't mind if I offer some constructive criticism. If you've ever visited The Radiant Vista's Daily Critique, you'll see how Craig Tanner suggests improvements.

I think there was a lot of potential in this scene, but a very narrow depth of field is probably not well suited here because you've got a row of birds on deck.

If I could improve this shot, I would first remove the strong central reflection circled in red. Next, I would have preferred a wider depth of field showing 3 birds before tapering off (marked in a blue X) because there's a pleasing line of birds within the 2 yellow lines that would have been nice to see a little more clearly. If there was only one bird on the rail, then the focus point and depth would have been fine.

I don't mind and I agree that it doesn't quite live up to the potential. I noticed the reflection but I'm not that skilled at PS. With the depth of field, I was trying to go for a certain effect but went a little too far with it obviously. I still think the bird in the front should be the focus point and the birds behind out of focus a bit, but not to the extent that I took it. I also think the picture is a bit underexposed. Ugh, now I'm wondering why I posted it...

ashley

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2006
In photoshop, go the "EDIT" -> "Assign Profile" then choose sRGB

Thank you!

Ugh, now I'm wondering why I posted it...

Don't be. Criticism doesn't mean it was bad ... it actually probably means it's good enough to take the time to help.

Also, I'm no professional, but I like it a lot. :)

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Getting caught up...nice Bodensee shots, so I figured I'd add one of mine:

Along the Bodensee in Constanz, Germany:

classic1.jpg

A late 1950's Jaguar who was competing in the 2002 Liege-Rome-Liege Rally

Scan from 35mm film. Would have to dig for days to find the originals.
Probably Kodak Portra 160 VC.
Canon Elan IIe, with 28m-135mm IS at 28mm.

Bonus points for ID'ing the (hindsight: poorly placed) statue in the background. :)

-hh

greenmac

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Adelaide
Well OK, Bodensee it is. This is in Meersberg its an old photo though, Dec, 2003.
Sony DSC-P72
ISO 100
1/640
f 6.3

Attachments

• Meersburg.jpg
    Meersburg.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 71

greenmac

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Adelaide
-hh said:
Bonus points for ID'ing the (hindsight: poorly placed) statue in the background. :)

-hh

I stayed in Lindau for 6 weeks, never made it to Konstanz, so I don't know the statue, but I think I can ID, the Jag. It's a XK model, Probably XK150 roadster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.