Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greenmac

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Adelaide
ksz said:
You will see some spectacular things in Italy, and probably some very meaningful ones as well!

Apologies for violating the one-picture-per-day rule, but this one's for you.

May 2004, Inside St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican.

Just Awesome, whats the data? When I was over there I only Had the Sony point and shoot, I tried taking a a photo from the same spot, well no go, I also had my camcorder, too dark to do any justice to the place.
Where were you when you took the first shot? I never saw that view!

greenmac

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Adelaide
Thought I'd share our 80 something year old trams we use here in Adelaide.
29/08/06
Nikon D50
Lens: 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 38mm
1/1250 sec - F/5
ISO: 200

greenmac

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Adelaide
Don't know what happened, well heres the image

Attachments

• Tram.JPG
    Tram.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 95

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
California Coast

This was taken on the Pacific Coast Highway just south of Big Sur, CA last February. What a gorgeous place.

Attachments

• Big Sur.jpg
    Big Sur.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 264

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
greenmac said:
Just Awesome, whats the data? When I was over there I only Had the Sony point and shoot, I tried taking a a photo from the same spot, well no go, I also had my camcorder, too dark to do any justice to the place.
Where were you when you took the first shot? I never saw that view!
Thanks! And there's a little story to go with that...

I entered the Basilica around 5pm on a picture-perfect day in May, just before the summer crowds. I was on my last roll of film when I saw the three beams, which immediately symbolized the Holy Trinity, as did the three electric lights arrayed just to the left of the central beam. I went to the back wall, set my Minolta X-700 to Bulb mode, attached a cable release, held the camera against a post, stopped breathing, and took a series of long exposures. However, there were only 5 frames left, so I hurried out of the Basilica, found the nearest tourist shop, reloaded (Kodak Ektachrome 100), and returned to my spot. I was afraid the light would vanish, but it remained intact long enough.

Body: Minolta X-700
Lens: 28mm f/2.8
Exposure: Bulb, cable release
Aperture: Unrecorded

greenmac

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Adelaide
Cheers for tht ksz, I should have made myself clearer last post when I said "Where were you when you took the first shot? I never saw that view!" I was referring to "Key" to the Kingdom of Heaven, Vatican City Although I was there 9 yrs later, maybe they weren't letting us everywhere.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Monument to the Roach

handandskyscraper.jpg

Daegu, South Korea
Sony DSC-R1
f/8@1/400
iso 160
24mm (equiv.)
converted to B&W with ConvertToB&W Pro plugin

Any tokers out there may know this peculiar hand position. :cool: The first time I saw it I was astonished, until I realized that it's a tiny telescope in a giant's hand.

This is an example of where the Sony R1's unique, tilt-swivel lcd came in very handy. The camera was almost on the grass below the hand to get this picture framed right. Oh, and I used the flash to get some shadow detail. Also, I converted the sky and building separately to preserve cloud details.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
greenmac said:
Thought I'd share our 80 something year old trams we use here in Adelaide.
29/08/06
Nikon D50
Lens: 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 38mm
1/1250 sec - F/5
ISO: 200

That's interesting. Are they just for tourists or does the city have them in wide circulation?

That shot would be a good candidate for sepia.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
greenmac said:
Cheers for tht ksz, I should have made myself clearer last post when I said "Where were you when you took the first shot? I never saw that view!" I was referring to "Key" to the Kingdom of Heaven, Vatican City Although I was there 9 yrs later, maybe they weren't letting us everywhere.
Oh, I see. Here's the answer in pictures:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
freebooter said:
Daegu, South Korea
Sony DSC-R1
f/8@1/400
iso 160
24mm (equiv.)
converted to B&W with ConvertToB&W Pro plugin

Any tokers out there may know this peculiar hand position. :cool: The first time I saw it I was astonished, until I realized that it's a tiny telescope in a giant's hand.

This is an example of where the Sony R1's unique, tilt-swivel lcd came in very handy. The camera was almost on the grass below the hand to get this picture framed right. Oh, and I used the flash to get some shadow detail. Also, I converted the sky and building separately to preserve cloud details.
Very dramatic. A contrast of scales.

greenmac

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Adelaide
ksz said:
Oh, I see. Here's the answer in pictures:
Thanx, I see your breaking that 1 pic per day again:D I had a look at my old pics and I think people are up there, I must of missed out on going up:(
Oh well, I'll just have to go back then:D

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
freebooter said:
This is an example of where the Sony R1's unique, tilt-swivel lcd came in very handy. The camera was almost on the grass below the hand to get this picture framed right.
That's a great shot, but that feature is hardly "unique." My Nikon Coolpix 8800 has that kind of screen, as well as most of Canon's Powershots.

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2004
Eyes & Freckles

230615704_392ab3d92b_b.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 30D
Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture: f4/0
Focal Length: 35 mm *16-35 mm 2.8 L*
ISO Speed: 250

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
seenew said:
That's a great shot, but that feature is hardly "unique." My Nikon Coolpix 8800 has that kind of screen, as well as most of Canon's Powershots.
True enough. (did I say unique?--mistake) I've got a Powershot, too. I think I was refering to the feature's presence on a "full-size" camera, not a compact/mid-size. Most reviews compare the R1 to DSLRs... I guess I was,too :rolleyes:

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
ChrisBrightwell said:
Hey -- Me, too!
It isn't easy to get a good image of the three beams, especially without a tripod. In my case, out of 15 bracketed exposures, only 3 succeeded. Some constructive criticisms on your image:

1. The floor takes up a large part of this image whereas the most interesting parts of the scene are the ceiling and the highly ornamented walls.

2. There's a fair bit of purple fringing just above each of the windows. Even though you're using a Canon Digital Rebel XT, the amount of fringing is unusual. Perhaps ISO1600 is partly to blame? In any case, this is one of my worries about digital sensors: they clip the highlights and the transition from strong light to weak light can be marred by artifacts.

I would love to take my Nikon D200 back to Europe--and to Italy in particular--but I wonder if I'll get better results on some of the trickier shots as compared with film. On the other hand, HDR just might work out well.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Plymouth, MA - Gravestone

Old gravestone, cemetary, Plymouth, MA 10/02
Used this one on the "Scary Movie Day" invitation last fall.
Canon PowerShot A20
1/640 sec
f/3.5
focal length: 7.8 mm

Attachments

• plymouth gravestone.jpg
    plymouth gravestone.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 135

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
ksz said:
1. The floor takes up a large part of this image whereas the most interesting parts of the scene are the ceiling and the highly ornamented walls.
Agreed. :( They were fading quickly, though, and I wanted to get a shot or two before I started tinkering with camera settings to get it "right." By the time I could properly expose the ceiling a bit more, they were gone.

2. There's a fair bit of purple fringing just above each of the windows. Even though you're using a Canon Digital Rebel XT, the amount of fringing is unusual. Perhaps ISO1600 is partly to blame? In any case, this is one of my worries about digital sensors: they clip the highlights and the transition from strong light to weak light can be marred by artifacts.
ISO1600 is to blame, I'm sure, but most of the blame lies in the cheap 18-55mm kit lens. I bought the camera in January and just haven't had time (or money) to invest in a new lens.

Next trip to Europe will *definitely* be with a new lens (or two!) and a Gorillapod.

Thanks for the feedback.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
jagolden said:
Old gravestone, cemetary, Plymouth, MA 10/02
Used this one on the "Scary Movie Day" invitation last fall.
Canon PowerShot A20
1/640 sec
f/3.5
focal length: 7.8 mm

Scary. I wonder what makes weathering so interesting?

Perhaps a bigger sized upload might have been better. On my monitor, at least, I have a hard time really seeing it, it being so dark and vignetted and all.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Sept. 30, 2002; Radiance of the Seas, Seattle

Body: Canon PowerShot G2
Lens: Built-In
Exposure: 1/500s @ f/4.0
Length: 7.0mm
ISO: Auto

orig.jpg

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
ksz said:
Sept. 30, 2002; Radiance of the Seas, Seattle

Body: Canon PowerShot G2
Lens: Built-In
Exposure: 1/500s @ f/4.0
Length: 7.0mm
ISO: Auto

<snip>

Nothing about this picture really sticks out for me, but, wow.. that ship is gigantic.

balofagus

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Well, I took this one today. It is my alpaca Usha and although it might not something be overly special to anyone else I just have to smile everytime I look at it; the expression is just so priceless.

Usha-Portrait.jpg

Info:
Pentax K100D w/ SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm
And I got nothing else but don't yell, it's a 20 year old lens.

This one even prompted me to change my Desktop from the default for the first time in a while!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.