Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Chloe' came to visit me at SCAD this weekend. :( I hadn't seen her in three weeks, we had a lot of fun. Now I don't see her until November 4th!:(

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
Shutter Speed: 1/15 second
F Number: F/3.5
Focal Length: 10 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Date Picture Taken: Sep 23, 2006, 2:55:28 PM

cokie.jpg

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
VictorM said:
how tall is that thing? looks like a towering office building :) I'm trying to judge from the twigs and grass leaves, but I'm not sure.
It's pretty tall, as far as mushrooms grow--maybe 40 cm. The camera was on the ground (thank-you fold out screen :) )

Cocobolo

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
St. Paul, MN
freebooter said:
Mt. Byeongpungsan
Daegu, South Korea
Canon A95
September 24, 2006
f/3.2
iso 100
+1.67 e.v.

On my long Sunday run today, I came across a ridge with a patch of Parasol mushrooms, a fine edible they say. Not common in the forests back in B.C., Canada where I used to hunt wild mushrooms, I've never picked this kind before. I'll have to do more research before daring to try 'em. :p They are quite a stately 'shroom.

That's got to be the most amazing, massive mushroom I've ever seen!! It looks so well designed! Great shot!

I've heard about Japanese growing tomato plants in hyperbaric oxygen chambers, and getting something like 10' tall plants. This makes me think of that.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Fooling around with IR...unintentionally!

I was setting up to do a black-and-white tabletop shot and grabbed the camera, stuck it on the tripod and shot. Right away my first image looked funky in the LCD. Only then did I realize I'd picked up the IR-modded camera! Not only that, to add insult to injury I had the ISO jacked way up from a previous shoot....

Anyway, kept the image and here it is:

97713086-L.jpg

Falls Church, VA
09/24/06
Lens: 105mm VR
f/4 @ 1/160 sc
ISO: 1250 :eek:

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
Clix Pix said:
I was setting up to do a black-and-white tabletop shot and grabbed the camera, stuck it on the tripod and shot. Right away my first image looked funky in the LCD. Only then did I realize I'd picked up the IR-modded camera! Not only that, to add insult to injury I had the ISO jacked way up from a previous shoot....

Falls Church, VA
09/24/06
Lens: 105mm VR
f/4 @ 1/160 sc
ISO: 1250 :eek:

Nice! That's actually a pretty cool shot! I really like how the colors came out.

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
seenew said:
Chloe' came to visit me at SCAD this weekend. :( I hadn't seen her in three weeks, we had a lot of fun. Now I don't see her until November 4th!:(

cokie.jpg
lovely pic, now you can see her everyday

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
VictorM said:
did you crawl under this thing while it was moving :eek: (at least it looks like motion blur relative to the ground)

Cocobolo said:
What a shot! It totally freaks me out. I'd really like to know how you did it.

First you need a really slow train. If you lay on the track and wait they slam on the brakes and there is all sorts of explaining you have to do with the local law enforcement and DOT people. So you have to just dive in there while it's moving and flatten out real fast, but be careful! While they can often put arms back on, you could damage your camera!

Actually I set the camera in the middle of the tracks and used a remote (IR) to fire the camera from a safe distance. I have some of the train approaching but liked this one better.

I do not recommend you do this.

Trains are dirty and stuff falls off of them the whole time, I have even seen leaking tankers go by. This can be a problem for cameras. Mine got hit by what I think was dry fertilizer, not sure what it was.

The clearance on the hoppers is only about 8 inches so low tripods don't work.

It is (apparently) against the law to put stuff on the tracks, and standing around by the railroad tracks with a remote in your hands just doesn't look good these days and could result in a cavity search. This was pointed out to be yesterday by some (self appointed) homeland security expert, who even had the bumper sticker to prove it!

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
cookie1105 said:
skipper; 12/09/06; Naxos Greece

Cluttered background because client wanted surf centre in the background.

naxos-12.jpg

Wow great shot, im doing something similar to this soon, come on tell us all the exif, where you on a boat or something at the time?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
snap58 said:
Actually I set the camera in the middle of the tracks and used a remote (IR) to fire the camera from a safe distance. I have some of the train approaching but liked this one better.

I do not recommend you do this.

Trains are dirty and stuff falls off of them the whole time, I have even seen leaking tankers go by. This can be a problem for cameras. Mine got hit by what I think was dry fertilizer, not sure what it was.

The clearance on the hoppers is only about 8 inches so low tripods don't work.

Wow, I was going to guess you did that, but I thought....."Nah, he's not crazy!"

Anyway, I needed to shoot at 12 mm for this one. Took it 3-4 days ago on the 22nd of September. Nothing special, but I do love that Opera House and Bridge. :)

Attachments

• twoforone.jpg
    twoforone.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 86

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
superted666 said:
Wow great shot, im doing something similar to this soon, come on tell us all the exif, where you on a boat or something at the time?

Camera: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT

Lens: Sigma 15mm f/2.8 EX Fisheye

Image Date: 2006:09:11 11:01:08

Flash Used: No

Exposure Time: 0.0008 s (1/1250)

Aperture: f/7.1

ISO equiv: 100

Exposure Bias: -0.33

Here you go. Glad you like it. I was standing on a ladder out in the water. My buddy was holding the ladder and the riders were coming from behind and pulling their tricks right in front of me. Just a little dangerous, as I almost had my head taken off by the top of a mast.:)

Good luck with yours

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
superted666 said:
251727577_7b121326d0_b.jpg

Shot in sheffield,uk

Oh yeah!

Like a good poem, by being reduced to essentials, the piece calls up a lot of associations; for me I think of chess, Monty Python, Brother Cadfael mysteries, the 30 Years War, Shakespeare and so on ....

I must live in Europe some day soon...

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Cocobolo said:
That's got to be the most amazing, massive mushroom I've ever seen!! It looks so well designed! Great shot!

I've heard about Japanese growing tomato plants in hyperbaric oxygen chambers, and getting something like 10' tall plants. This makes me think of that.

Thanks. I was trying to experiment with selective overexposure.

The best mushrooms I've ever witnessed were the ones I picked for profit in British Columbia: the Matsutake (Japanese name)/ Pine mushroom.

The Pine is bought for astronomical prices in Japan. So much so that I was paid as much as $100/lb. for prime "buttons" (i.e. unopened babies)(the price has since plummeted). It is big, uniquely excellent in taste and the most enchanting creamy white. A truly incredible mushroom in every way. I'm eager to try the Parasol. I'm going out tomorrow to pick a few specimens to verify their true identity.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
seenew said:

I really like this, what lens did you use, and did you tweak it at all after?

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
annk said:
I really like this, what lens did you use, and did you tweak it at all after?

EF-S 10-22mm USM

Just the usual, color levels adjustment (bring down the red some), and slight desaturation.

Thanks!

VictorM

Sep 12, 2006
hogtown
pastime

for all those who are eagerly awaiting winter...

20060915230228_20030101_180440__111.jpg

Banff, Alberta (near the Banff Springs Hotel)
New Years Day, 2003

Canon PowerShot S300
1/250 sec @ f2.7

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
VictorM said:
for all those who are eagerly awaiting winter...

20060915230228_20030101_180440__111.jpg

Banff, Alberta (near the Banff Springs Hotel)
New Years Day, 2003

Canon PowerShot S300
1/250 sec @ f2.7

Ooh, I played concerts at that hotel, in 1986 and 1991. Memories...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.