Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
White Dragon

97942943-L.jpg

Falls Church, VA
September 24, 2006
D200
60mm f/2.8 micro
f/22 @1.8 sec
ISO:100
Focal length: 60mm

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
I can have a little fun with this, right? :D :D (A bit different type of digital shot)

Textured bottles
Camera: Mental Ray
Lens: 35mm
Exposure Time: about 5 min
Lighting: Environmental HDRI + 1 spot

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 84

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Clix Pix said:
white dragon

Great great picture, wonderful lighting and feel.

Well done. :cool:

For my contribution today, I'm trying something different that I'm not too sure about. This is an image of the Louvre, taken from the central atrium underground, looking out through the glass pyramid towards the Denon wing. I thought that cropping it as a triangle might make it more interesting. What do you think?

picture1ta6.png

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Fish Monger

FishMonger2.jpg

At the Fish Market Near My Home
September 17, 2006
Daegu, South Korea
Fuji F30
f/4.3@1/20
18.10 mm (3X tele)
iso 800

Fish sell even at 11 pm on a Sunday night.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
gauchogolfer said:
For my contribution today, I'm trying something different that I'm not too sure about. This is an image of the Louvre, taken from the central atrium underground, looking out through the glass pyramid towards the Denon wing. I thought that cropping it as a triangle might make it more interesting. What do you think?

Good, good, very good. Who says a picture has to be square or rectangular? Nice one!

VictorM

Sep 12, 2006
hogtown
numbers

d70s_01068.jpg

Toronto, Canada
September 22, 2006

Nikon D70s
Nikkor 85mm f1.4D
1/160 sec @ f1.4
ISO 200

Shooting Notes:

When I took this photo I was experimenting with depth-of-field and hyper-focal distance. I had several shots with and without the entire sundial in focus. Eventually, I decided on this shot because the blurring of the foreground and background isolated the concept of "numbers" that I was trying to convey (while still preserving the general shape/outline of the object).

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
srf4real said:
I sure would like to see the original and exif data on this... killer action shot!

Cheers, what do you mean by original? If you would like a full-size for your desktop send me a pm with your e-mail. here is the exif:
Camera: Rebel xt
Lens: 70-200mm f/4 L
FL: 200mm
ISO 200
f/5.6
1/1250s

Here is one for today:

Launch; 12/09/06; Naxos, Greece

naxos-22.jpg

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Wide Angle

I just got my new Sigma 10-20 and I went out this afternoon and shot a couple. Straight out of the camera with no PP. What do you think? I'm new to the photography game so be honest and gentle with my emotions. :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 84

VictorM

Sep 12, 2006
hogtown
macdaddy121 said:
I just got my new Sigma 10-20 and I went out this afternoon and shot a couple. Straight out of the camera with no PP. What do you think? I'm new to the photography game so be honest and gentle with my emotions. :)

I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it. I went to a DSLR only a few weeks ago, and the first lens I got was a wide angle (12-24mm). It's been a new exploration in creativity for me (previously, I was more a telephoto kinda guy).

Some things you might try are experimenting with getting a leading line in your picture to guide the viewers eye from the foreground to background - this keeps their eye from straying about too much, and creates a nice flow to your photo. You can usually find natural lines in the landscape or subject that can be used for this purpose (rivers, pathways, steets).

Also experiment with using the wide-angle to "engage" with your subject matter so that if feels like you are right inside it (you'll find you have to get *really* close to objects, which may feel awkward at first).

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
There have been so many amazing images here, I feel guilty for not posting more reactions.

Gauchogolfer, I love the triangle crop and the image itself.

Clix, your IR shots are really interesting. I like the way you use the light.

cookie 1105, the action in your pics is great.

VictorM, I really like the way you used the depth of field to emphasize the roman numerals.

Dalriada
, I love the way you captured the rain. That cabin could've been in Norway!

Freebooter
and seenew, I always love what you post.

My apologies to those I've forgotten. I get so much inspiration from this thread!!

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Purity Test

FlowerDome1.jpg

Daegu, South Korea
September 24, 2006
Canon A95
1/200@f/8
iso 50 (I think)
7.8 mm (~35 mm f.f.)

With the arrival of fall weather patterns, the sky has cleared and.....

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
annk said:
There have been so many amazing images here, I feel guilty for not posting more reactions.

Gauchogolfer, I love the triangle crop and the image itself.

Clix, your IR shots are really interesting. I like the way you use the light.

cookie 1105, the action in your pics is great.

VictorM, I really like the way you used the depth of field to emphasize the roman numerals.

Dalriada
, I love the way you captured the rain. That cabin could've been in Norway!

Freebooter
and seenew, I always love what you post.

My apologies to those I've forgotten. I get so much inspiration from this thread!!

Thanks, Annk!

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
Clix Pix said:
97942943-L.jpg

Falls Church, VA
September 24, 2006
D200
60mm f/2.8 micro
f/22 @1.8 sec
ISO:100
Focal length: 60mm

There are a ton of fantastic photos on this site, but this one caught my eye because, beside being a very fine photo, I think it would make a great desktop background. The starkness of the black and white would allow the color icons to stand out, but not really take away from the image. Does that make sense? I know what I am thinking, but can't quite articulate it. Either way, BRAVO.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
Clix Pix said:
Thanks for the compliments on my dragon! :) It has been a long time since I'd done anything in B&W and I am definitely going to start doing more of it now!

That IS a good idea to try the dragon as wallpaper: I'll give it a whirl, see how it looks!
Do you have an original which is in a larger format that you would be willing to share?

Scratch that, I saw your website and found that is the original size. Would you mind if I snagged it for a background screen?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The original is still in its RAW format; I just used Aperture to do the .jpg in a size suitable for sharing online.... Actually, I would prefer that you not use it, as I may want to at some point offer it for sale in a larger resolution....

Thanks for asking, and I'm flattered!

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
Clix Pix said:
The original is still in its RAW format; I just used Aperture to do the .jpg in a size suitable for sharing online.... Actually, I would prefer that you not use it, as I may want to at some point offer it for sale in a larger resolution....

Thanks for asking, and I'm flattered!

Fair enough. That's why I always like to ask first.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
VictorM said:
This was taken in 2001 from a cruise ship on the inside passage between Vancouver and Alaska. I took it with my first digital camera, a point-and-shoot Canon Powershot - about 2MP - so archaic by today's standards :)

White balance was slightly adjusted, but otherwise it has not been retouched.

20060915225732_20010927_112932__146.jpg

September 2001
Canon PowerShot S300
1/1000 sec @ f2.7

Beautiful! (sorry for digging up from the past, but I have been away for a while!)

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Zion National Park - "Tony and Dannie Road Trip USA" Day 22, 8/31/06

Canon Digital Rebel XT
ISO200
Focal Length - 17mm (Tokina 12-24mm)
Shutter - 350 seconds

You can pick out plenty more stars in a larger version! (not posted)

Feedback always welcome

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
IMG_3831_2.sized.jpg

Full Image

Camera, Powershot Pro1
Shutter 1/125
aperture f 4.0
focal length 12.53mm

Post production:
Crop, and light edit in iPhoto.

Taken 8-25-06 at the Ojibwe Forests Pro Rally at my marshal point. I work this rally every year as a Amateur radio operator, and also sneak a few photos while I am there :) .

This shot is of Travis Pastrana's Subaru Impreza Rally car as it drove past our stage. His co-driver Christian Edstrom is all Travis has to keep him focussed and on the road!

The photo is quite poor overall, but it was taken in a quick rush.. I literally pulled my camera out of my car and took the picture (auto focus) as quickly as I could with the Pro1's quite slow burst mode.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
840quadra said:
Full ImageThe photo is quite poor overall, but it was taken in a quick rush.. I literally pulled my camera out of my car and took the picture (auto focus) as quickly as I could with the Pro1's quite slow burst mode.
Imo, your photo captures the aura of the event- focused enough to discern the movement of the subject in a fixed environment, clearly high speed. I like it.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.