Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It all started earlier this summer. I'm out poking about behind what I affectionately call The Little House, when I hear this noise coming from behind the neighbor's barn.

*mew* *mew* *mew*

I have to go investigate, and I find what has to be the saddest little thing I've seen in my life. It's a little calico kitten in a small cardboard box, probably only about 3 weeks old at the very most. It's crying for its mom, which is nowhere to be found. Since my neighbors had moved out just a few days before, I assumed they took the mom cat with them, and left the baby to die. I didn't want the poor thing starving to death, so I take it back to the Little House, give it a bowl of milk, and go shopping online for rubber nipples and kitten formula.

Fortunately, the mother cat was still around. Not even a few hours later, I see her carrying the kitten off into the woods by the scruff of her neck. It was a huge relief, needless to say. The kitten would live, and I wouldn't have to directly deal with it.

...or so I thought. Apparently the mother cat decided the Little House was a nice place to shack up and raise a family. Not even a week goes by, and they're back.

Over the last few months, I've watched the kitten grow up. Though I haven't been able to get through to the mother cat, I've managed to tame the kitten. I call her Cap-Cat, and she now comes up to me just about every time I'm out for free pets and food. I've even caught her pawing at the glass door on the breezeway a few times.

But now I'm in terrible trouble. Apparently the mother cat didn't decide to call it a day with just one kitten. About a week ago, give or take, I'm once again poking around in the Little House when I see this...

...fuzzy thing...

...staring at me. An explosion of white hair. Perfectly round eyes. Goofiest looking animal I've ever seen. Looks like Cap-Cat, but FUR! Apparently Mom-Cat had another baby.

And then another. There are two in there. Which means I've now got 4 cats living in the Little House. I have no idea what to do, and I have a feeling this is only going to get exponentially worse. But for the time being, I figured I'd take a few pictures to show off here.

For reference, this is the Little House. I kinda like this picture, and I figured this would be as good a time as any to show it off.

And the Feral Kitties...

I've taken to calling this one Fuzznugget.

Cap-Cat watching over her brothers and/or sisters.

Wish I could've taken better shots, but only Cap-Cat allows me near her. The rest bolt underneath the Little House as soon as I get near.

Oh god, I gotta get all these animals fixed.

Cool story, cute kitties!

Probably the best way to deal with it, is like you mentioned, get the momma cat fixed - if you can catch her! :)

nateofmelb

macrumors regular
May 28, 2013
Burn City, Australia
Mac kitty!

167mfbo.jpg

(Taken with iPhone 6 Plus)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Wish I could've taken better shots, but only Cap-Cat allows me near her. The rest bolt underneath the Little House as soon as I get near.

Oh god, I gotta get all these animals fixed.

They're so cute. They look quite adoptable, assuming you can get to them. Have you checked if any local organizations help fix strays?

Renzatic

Suspended
They're so cute. They look quite adoptable, assuming you can get to them. Have you checked if any local organizations help fix strays?

My uncle mentioned some program that picks up feral kittens, has them spayed, neutered, and vaccinated, then releases them back into the wild either free of charge or for a nominal fee. I'll try to hit them up, because...yeah, 4 cats. That's a lot. It'll cost me at least $300 to do it myself through normal channels.

The good thing is I can probably get them adopted out. I'll do the same thing I did with Cap-Cat (the overly serious looking older kitten in the second shot). I'll wait for mom cat to start weening them off, then make my move with ham and cat chow while she's away. It took me about a month doing this to get Cap-Cat to trust me. While she can still be a little skittish at times, she's gotten to the point that she'll let me pick her up and pet her belly. Hopefully I can do the same with the two new kittens.

I know I have to do something soon because mom cat will go into heat again, and Cap-Cat is about 7 months old now, so she'll be doing the same at any time. If I don't do something quickly, I'll have more than just 4 cats to deal with.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I know I have to do something soon because mom cat will go into heat again, and Cap-Cat is about 7 months old now, so she'll be doing the same at any time. If I don't do something quickly, I'll have more than just 4 cats to deal with.

Blah. I love cats, but I'm really allergic to them. I need a tree frog or a bearded dragon or something of that sort. I was going to adopt a really mean parrotlet at one point. That this tiny bird hated anyone who went near his cage just made him more awesome.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Me going on a nature walk with one of my dogs. This one grew like 20lbs over the months! He wasn't too pleased. :D

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 121
  • FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 84

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Post pics of your pet!

I've spent Christmas Day accompanying my wife at work for the day rescuing injured animals. Please spare a thought for those animals that aren't as fortunate as your pets at this time of the year and make a donation to your local animal shelter or charity, where dedicated professionals go above and beyond the call of duty to help those that are sick, injured or abandoned.

Our beloved little chap Bob is a rescue dog who was dumped, in a terrible state, in a car park on a cold winter's night nearly three years ago and my wife rescued him and he came to live with us.
14269714126_9a49b7cc2a_b.jpg

Many more animals will need similar help at this time of the year and I hope that I'm not breaking any forum rules here, but if you want to donate to the RSPCA charity (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) and you are in the UK you can send a text saying HELP218 to 70099 and it will donate £3. Every little helps.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
I've spent Christmas Day accompanying my wife at work for the day rescuing injured animals. Please spare a thought for those animals that aren't as fortunate as your pets at this time of the year and make a donation to your local animal shelter or charity, where dedicated professionals go above and beyond the call of duty to help those that are sick, injured or abandoned.

Our beloved little chap Bob is a rescue dog who was dumped, in a terrible state, in a car park on a cold winter's night nearly three years ago and my wife rescued him and he came to live with us.
Many more animals will need similar help at this time of the year and I hope that I'm not breaking any forum rules here, but if you want to donate to the RSPCA charity (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) and you are in the UK you can send a text saying HELP218 to 70099 and it will donate £3. Every little helps.

Keep up the good work, rescue pets are great, my Millie was a feral kitten I rescued.

blooperz

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2013
Our Chini, Exotic shorthair

Attachments

• Chini @ 4 months.jpg
    Chini @ 4 months.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Chini rocking his glasses.jpg
    Chini rocking his glasses.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3260.jpg
    IMG_3260.jpg
    641.7 KB · Views: 71

Renzatic

Suspended
I've got an update on the feral cat situation. I found a group that takes in strays, fixes them, gives them their shots, then releases them back where they found them for $15 per cat. It was a great deal, and people seemed to like them, so I hit them up.

Long story short, they captured the mom without any fuss or muss, but Cap Cat got away from them. It was so incredibly dumb, too. I had her in the carrier, but she slipped out when one of the women tried moving her from there to a cage. We spent a good hour chasing her around, but never managed to catch her again.

Now she's traumatized, and won't let anyone come near her. The kittens occasionally pop out from under the porch mewling for a mother that isn't here, and I feel like I've done something kinda cruel.

Grand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.