Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OzExige

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Omnipresence
Chester%2520York%2520Mid%2520Sept_sm.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Our Chini, Exotic shorthair

Great pictures, and what wonderful character. I assume that there is a bit of Persian ancestry in there, somewhere?

I've got an update on the feral cat situation. I found a group that takes in strays, fixes them, gives them their shots, then releases them back where they found them for $15 per cat. It was a great deal, and people seemed to like them, so I hit them up.

Long story short, they captured the mom without any fuss or muss, but Cap Cat got away from them. It was so incredibly dumb, too. I had her in the carrier, but she slipped out when one of the women tried moving her from there to a cage. We spent a good hour chasing her around, but never managed to catch her again.

Now she's traumatized, and won't let anyone come near her. The kittens occasionally pop out from under the porch mewling for a mother that isn't here, and I feel like I've done something kinda cruel.

Grand.

Well, you might manage to catch Cap Cat again, perhaps with the lure of food or something similar, warmth, patience.... It was a good try, anyway. But these things need to be planned with an almost demonic attention to detail. When is Mom Cat due back?

Renzatic

Suspended
Well, you might manage to catch Cap Cat again, perhaps with the lure of food or something similar, warmth, patience.... It was a good try, anyway. But these things need to be planned with an almost demonic attention to detail. When is Mom Cat due back?

Fortunately, Cap Cat doesn't seem to be entirely traumatized. She's a bit skittish still, but allowed me to touch her when she came down to the back porch to eat. That's one small silver lining to all this, I guess.

Though even with that, I'm now faced with an even more depressing situation. Fuzz got caught in the cage earlier today, and the Feral Cat Women have since come by to pick her up. This morning, she and Homer Jr. were out playing together in the sun. Now he's entirely alone, sitting on the stoop to the little house, looking for both his absent mother and little sister.

As for Fuzz herself, neither I nor Homer Jr. will likely ever see her again, since they only return the cats if they remain feral. If she acclimates, and I'd say there's a better than decent chance she will, they send them out to foster homes.

...this is something they neglected to mention yesterday.

The whole thing has put a damper on my week. Though Mom Cat has apparently survived surgery, and is doing well. She should be back in a couple of days.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Fortunately, Cap Cat doesn't seem to be entirely traumatized. She's a bit skittish still, but allowed me to touch her when she came down to the back porch to eat. That's one small silver lining to all this, I guess.

Though even with that, I'm now faced with an even more depressing situation. Fuzz got caught in the cage earlier today, and the Feral Cat Women have since come by to pick her up. This morning, she and Homer Jr. were out playing together in the sun. Now he's entirely alone, sitting on the stoop to the little house, looking for both his absent mother and little sister.

As for Fuzz herself, neither I nor Homer Jr. will likely ever see her again, since they only return the cats if they remain feral. If she acclimates, and I'd say there's a better than decent chance she will, they send them out to foster homes.

...this is something they neglected to mention yesterday.

The whole thing has put a damper on my week. Though Mom Cat has apparently survived surgery, and is doing well. She should be back in a couple of days.

So, in essence, in addition to sterilisation, (a very necessary precaution) they try to home the cats, too, if that is at all possible? That strikes me as a better possible future than remaining feral, as Mom Cat will not want them around much longer after they have been weaned.

In any case, I would imagine that only if there is a sign of a very strong bond between siblings, or litter mates, will an attempt be made to keep them together.

Is Homer Jnr next on the list for treatment? Nevertheless, if Cap Cat is allowing you to touch her, I doubt it will be hugely difficult to catch her again, as long as it is well planned and properly executed.

You've done the right thing; there is no need to feel low about it.

I worked in Georgia (Caucasus Georgia) for two years a few years ago, and some friends of mine who also lived and worked there at the time, allowed a small stray kitten who had adopted them into their lives. Needless to say, within a few months, the kitten would have been happily adding to the feline population of Tbilisi, so my friends decided to bring her to the vet.

They were stunned at the vet's reaction to this request. Despite being an educated man, he had a profound distaste for the very concept of sterilisation - arguing that cats had a 'right' to breed and that to interfere with this was unnatural - and refused to carry it out. When my friends argued that they did not wish to add more kittens to the cat population, the vet shrugged, and thought that drowning was a perfectly acceptable way of dealing with this potential problem.

Renzatic

Suspended

Oh, I definitely understand the necessity of sterilization, since I've experienced an exponential growth of the cat population in my back yard over the last 6 months. I knew it had to be done, but I was thinking (hoping) it'd be a little less traumatic for the cats than what it ended up being.

Poor little Fuzz in that cage, crying for help, and shaking like a leaf, while Cap Cat, who's motherly instincts are apparently starting to kick in, panicked just outside of it. I came damn close to opening the cage, and hoping for the best. But if I did that, I knew I had no guarantee that I could tame her myself, and could very likely end up with another 20 kittens sometime in the not to distant future. It had to happen, so...it happened. I only wish I could've grabbed them all in one fell swoop, rather than separating the family piece by piece.

Though on the plus side, the Feral Cat Ladies seem to know what they're doing (for the most part), and they're all destined to end up in good homes. Can't ask for a happier ending than that.

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I found this picture of Puma, while looking for a different photo for a different reason, from 2005 when he was only a year old. I was playing around with the color saturation in Picasa by Google back then.
IMG_0002.JPG

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I found this picture of Puma, while looking for a different photo for a different reason, from 2005 when he was only a year old. I was playing around with the color saturation in Picasa by Google back then.
View attachment 523524

Very nice picture - and I know you were playing around with the colour saturation in Picasa, but - are Puma's eyes really that fetching shade of blue?

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
This little cutie isn't technically ours, but we're 90% sure (s)he and his/her sibling are descended from our old cat Topsy, as they look so similar.This little cutie isn't technically ours, but we're 90% sure (s)he and his/her much shyer sibling are descended from our old cat Topsy, as they look so similar. They're local wild cats, and apart from the adorableness, they're a great weapon in the endless war against rabbits!
1375803_10152928487986257_1669482389493990244_n.jpg

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Very nice picture - and I know you were playing around with the colour saturation in Picasa, but - are Puma's eyes really that fetching shade of blue?

No, his eyes are green/yellow. The picture looks that way because the camera flash is reflecting in the tapetum lucidum of his eyes.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
No, his eyes are green/yellow. The picture looks that way because the camera flash is reflecting in the tapetum lucidum of his eyes.

That is what I had thought; my understanding is that only Siamese and - maybe - Burmese cats had naturally occurring blue eyes?

Green/yellow, hm? That should make for a nice glow…….but he seems to be a friendly, affectionate, talkative cat.

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
That is what I had thought; my understanding is that only Siamese and - maybe - Burmese cats had naturally occurring blue eyes?

Green/yellow, hm? That should make for a nice glow…….but he seems to be a friendly, affectionate, talkative cat.

Hmm, I'm not familiar with those breeds so much, so I don't know.

But my little Puma is a Bombay cat.
Bombay are a type of shorthaired cats developed by breeding sable Burmese and black American Shorthair cats to produce a cat of mostly Burmese type, but with a sleek, tight black coat.

The Bombay is a highly social breed that loves to be in the company of others.[2] Bombays tend to be attached to their families and crave attention, and for this reason this breed is highly suitable for children.[4] Most Bombay cats are not independent. Older Bombays are somewhat more independent than younger ones. They seek attention from their owners and people around them often and dislike being left alone for extended periods of time.[5] Although they like to be around people generally, Bombay Cats also tend to have a certain person whom they pay special attention to in their lives.[5] Overall, the Bombay breed is intelligent, playful, and attention-seeking.[5] They tend to get along well with other cats, as they have an established pecking order in the household. They have a very distinctive purr and love to snuggle.

Here he is when he was only 8 weeks old - the first night I brought him home.

100_0619.JPG

Then a few months old...
100_0659.JPG

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hmm, I'm not familiar with those breeds so much, so I don't know.

But my little Puma is a Bombay cat.

Here he is when he was only 8 weeks old - the first night I brought him home.

View attachment 523828

Then a few months old...
View attachment 523829

My memory has reminded me that Siamese (cats) do, indeed, have blue eyes, (and I remember that when I was quite a small child, my next door neighbour had an extraordinarily clever Siamese cat), while Mr Google has corrected my misperception that Burmese cats have blue eyes: They don't. Their eyes are the colour of your Puma's eyes.

Indeed, more to then point, Burmese cats seem to be regarded as one of the ancestor breeds for Bombays……

However, lovely pictures…..

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
This thread must be the best on macrumors. I love cats.

Thx to everyone for posting :)

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
Obviously, a West Highland Terrier. But what is the creature's name, character, back story?

Lovely picture, by the way. As it happens, I love westies, too. Smart, clever dogs with a great personality.

oh. her name is Java, she's a small westie, 6 kilograms only. has been with us for 10 years now, still going strong. even survived the baby which is 3 now :D

and yes, it's a great breed to have - cute, but it's actually a work dog and pretty low maintenance. did my research prior to buying the pup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.