Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brendo1988

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2012
NSW Australia
My beloved Kitty, Gizmo

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 159
Reactions: LordQ

Renzatic

Suspended
Feral cat update!

...well, can't call them feral anymore, since they're all relaxed around me, and come to me willingly these days.

The kittens are finally old enough to start exploring the yard a bit. They're a bit shaky on their legs, but they still manage to scoot along at a surprisingly fast pace when something excites them.

Kittens1.jpg

Kittens2.jpg

Kittens3.jpg

I wish I used my camera, rather than my iPhone, but these little photo ops pop up entirely at random.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Feral cat update!

...well, can't call them feral anymore, since they're all relaxed around me, and come to me willingly these days.

The kittens are finally old enough to start exploring the yard a bit. They're a bit shaky on their legs, but they still manage to scoot along at a surprisingly fast pace when something excites them.

I wish I used my camera, rather than my iPhone, but these little photo ops pop up entirely at random.

One more, for good measure.

Lovely pictures, and thanks for both posting and sharing.

Mind you, if they come to you willingly, I assume that it may be possible to plan the inevitable trip to the vet's…….otherwise, this is a tale that will run and run…..

They're so cute! I've been enjoying the ongoing saga of these Cat Tales of yours. Keep it up! :)

As have I.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
Lovely pictures, and thanks for both posting and sharing.

Mind you, if they come to you willingly, I assume that it may be possible to plan the inevitable trip to the vets…….otherwise, this is a tale that will run and run…..

Thank you. It's fun taking them.

And yes, as fun as it is having the kittens around, I don't want to be a stray cat hostel for the rest of my life. The next call to the cat ladies, and/or the eventual trip to the vet is currently in the planning stages.

It's going to be hard getting rid of them, though. Especially Fuzzskillet (the other two I've tentatively dubbed Pete and Orange Dot). But it has to be done. As I said before, I thought I had too many cats before the ferals arrived.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thank you. It's fun taking them.

And yes, as fun as it is having the kittens around, I don't want to be a stray cat hostel for the rest of my life. The next call to the cat ladies, and/or the eventual trip to the vet is currently in the planning stages.

It's going to be hard getting rid of them, though. Especially Fuzzskillet (the other two I've tentatively dubbed Pete and Orange Dot). But it has to be done. As I said before, I thought I had too many cats before the ferals arrived.

Ah, excellent news. Kittens are fine and good, but feline over-population can be a problem….

And forward planning is half the battle.

What about Mother Cat - will you manage to ensnare her in the interest of population control, too?

Renzatic

Suspended
What about Mother Cat - will you manage to ensnare her in the interest of population control, too?

I'll have to at some point. The one thing that worries me is that she'll end up being traumatized by the experience, much as the original Mom Cat was. It's taken a lot of time and patience to tame her, and it'd be a little tragic if it ended up being all for naught.

But since I don't intend on becoming a kitten farm, I'll have to do it. We'll see how it goes.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'll have to at some point. The one thing that worries me is that she'll end up being traumatized by the experience, much as the original Mom Cat was. It's taken a lot of time and patience to tame her, and it'd be a little tragic if it ended up being all for naught.

But since I don't intend on becoming a kitten farm, I'll have to do it. We'll see how it goes.

Traumatised by it?

But - forgive me for phrasing it thus - might she not be equally traumatised by being constantly on the receiving end of loving attention - and the almost inevitable consequences of that loving attention - from horny toms when she comes into heat?

In your shoes, I would have the vet on speed dial…….

However, I do take your point in that it is unpleasant to cause animals any sort of upset….even though a cost/benefit analysis of various types of 'upset' give us widely varying experiences….

Now, catching the tom in question, and addressing and taming the small matter of his clearly active joybells would be a good days work, too….

Renzatic

Suspended

Well, you never know. Cap Cat might like all that tomcat attention.

Though with that in mind, motherhood is taken quite a bit out of her. She was a fairly round cat even before she became pregnant. Since she's had the kittens, she's lost some of her fur, and a ton of weight. It'd probably be for the best to give her the snip, rather than worrying she'll become feral again.

And hopefully, unlike Mom Cat, she won't spend 3 days lost down in the ductwork in the basement. I'm sure that contributed more to her hatred of humanity than the surgery itself.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, you never know. Cap Cat might like all that tomcat attention.

Though with that in mind, motherhood is taken quite a bit out of her. She was a fairly round cat even before she became pregnant. Since she's had the kittens, she's lost some of her fur, and a ton of weight. It'd probably be for the best to give her the snip, rather than worrying she'll become feral again.

And hopefully, unlike Mom Cat, she won't spend 3 days lost down in the ductwork in the basement. I'm sure that contributed more to her hatred of humanity than the surgery itself.

The one fact that it might not be politic to mention.

However, I'll admit that the very same thought did cross my mind, as did the heretical consideration that she might not be as impervious and indifferent to such persistent and flattering male attention as one might have thought…...

Nevertheless, while it is considered a good idea to allow a cat to have one or two litters, there comes a time when cat contraception becomes a Very Good Idea…..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.