Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Hm. Thank you for the thoughtful update. Well, yes, I can imagine…..mournful sounds, indeed.

Actually, on that topic take a look at the two photographs - taken by his owner - of a cat named Milo on his return from a trip to the vet's for the purposes of population control. Google 'Milo, cat, vet' or any combination of those words for two of the funniest photographs I have seen on this topic.

However, you have done very well and it is all for the best; for the best, if you don't wish to inundated with unwanted kittens, that is
..and we can overdo the anthropomorphic stuff. Better prevention than drowning.

Care to share the link!

Cheers

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438478670.130721.jpg

It's almost a year that Ginger* died due to being ran over by a car or truck. I still miss my Puzz In Bootz every day and very much!

He was a real tiger when playing and 'hunting' in our garden. How unfortuned that his life ended so quick (15 month) and in such a brutal manner!

Sad thoughts but neverthess:

Cheers

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It's a terrible shot since I was't expecting to take a picture and had to just grab and shoot, but I managed to catch him mid-yawn. I can't bring myself to delete it. :)

DSC_000_6.jpg

The pictures show him on his owner's bed, and the owner - with superb timing - captured the moment when he came around. Well worth seeing.

I googled it. What perfect timing! I smiled, though I sympathized with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Bob with his favourite toy "Mr Turtle"

20401036342_e2d02c753e_h.jpg

He also has a bit of twig in his mouth that he decided needed to be brought in from the garden.

Lovely picture of a lovely, happy, contented dog. I remember when you first posted about him - and gave us his backstory - a couple of years ago.

You can be proud of yourselves; very well done.

Reactions: MacRy

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Lovely picture of a lovely, happy, contented dog. I remember when you first posted about him - and gave us his backstory - a couple of years ago.

You can be proud of yourselves; very well done.

Thanks :) He has turned into a really lovely little dog. He was a bit of a handful at first but he's finally settled down three years later and he's so affectionate and loyal now. He makes us very happy.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Last shot of the Derp Herd before I drag them off to the vet to get fixed.

Phuzz.jpg

Pete.jpg

CatInABowl.jpg

edit: one more for prosperity. When I went outside to take them to the vet, they were all staring out the door at me. PHOTO OPPROTUNITY!

Kitten_Kru4.jpg

And yeah, Polydot is standing on her hind legs like a gopher.

Gorgeous shots. And yes, the cute, 'awwwww' factor is quite disgustingly high.

Anyway, is this visit to the vet for reasons of demographics, or for standard necessary vaccinations?

Renzatic

Suspended
Gorgeous shots. And yes, the cute, 'awwwww' factor is quite disgustingly high.

Anyway, is this visit to the vet for reasons of demographics, or for standard necessary vaccinations?

Yeah, this is the population control visit. They're now officially checked up, vaccinated up, snipped up, and certified up.

All I have to do now is see if I can keep them in the garage for a week. Once that's done, all I have to worry about is keeping them away from the road.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yeah, this is the population control visit. They're now officially checked up, vaccinated up, snipped up, and certified up.

All I have to do now is see if I can keep them in the garage for a week. Once that's done, all I have to worry about is keeping them away from the road.

Why keep them in the garage for a week? To help them heal? Or to make certain they won't fall into wicked ways?

And yes, the road. An absolute killer.

I have seen older dogs, - almost elderly in one or two cases - confident and experienced, cross major roads exceptionally busy with heavy traffic with calculating and thoughtful aplomb, working out (correctly) when to move and when to stay, when to trot briskly, and when to pause, in fact, intelligently reading the traffic and the other contributing factors better than any human. Experienced cats have learned to do this, too. I remember watching this with utter fascination.

But the challenging task of how to safely cross the road - especially a dangerous and busy road - doesn't seem to get passed on in the feline or canine parenting manual to their kittens or puppies - (mind you, human parents are sometimes pretty remiss in this department, too); it comes with practice and hard learned experience.

Renzatic

Suspended
Why keep them in the garage for a week? To help them heal? Or to make certain they won't fall into wicked ways?

A bit of column A, bit of column B. The vet suggested I keep them in both to mend without stress (they love the garage, so it's a good place to put them), and to avoid them coming into contact with the wildlife that roams my back yard late at night while they're in a weakened state.

Though it seems this advice applies more to the females. I've had them back for about an hour now, and while Poly and Phuzz are looking and acting like they've been wrung through the wringer, Pete doesn't even seem like it's phased him in the least. I guess it's because yee olde ball snip isn't quite so invasive a procedure.

And yes, the road. An absolute killer.

I have seen older dogs, - almost elderly in one or two cases - confident and experienced, cross major roads exceptionally busy with heavy traffic with calculating and thoughtful aplomb, working out (correctly) when to move and when to stay, when to trot briskly, and when to pause, in fact, intelligently reading the traffic and the other contributing factors better than any human. Experienced cats have learned to do this, too. I remember watching this with utter fascination.

But the challenging task of how to safely cross the road - especially a dangerous and busy road - doesn't seem to get passed on in the feline or canine parenting manual to their kittens or puppies - (mind you, human parents are sometimes pretty remiss in this department, too); it comes with practice and hard learned experience.

I have a tragic story involving The Road. Around the same time I was gifted with these three bundles of expensive joy, my neighbors also had 4 stray kittens born on their back porch. They live a lot nearer to the street, and...well, long story short, now they only have two. Fortunately for me, the two times I've caught my cats roaming across the street were early in the morning, while the traffic isn't too heavy. But still, I try keeping them in the back yard, next to the woods, where it's relatively safer.

Though it is interesting watching experienced animals try and cross the road. My old cat, Homer, I'm fairly certain he was winged by a car once because of how cautious he was. He'd step up to the edge of the street, and look left and right a few times before attempting to cross.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A bit of column A, bit of column B. The vet suggested I keep them in both to mend without stress (they love the garage, so it's a good place to put them), and to avoid them coming into contact with the wildlife that roams my back yard late at night while they're in a weakened state.

Though it seems this advice applies more to the females. I've had them back for about an hour now, and while Poly and Phuzz are looking and acting like they've been wrung through the wringer, Pete doesn't even seem like it's phased him in the least. I guess it's because yee olde ball snip isn't quite so invasive a procedure.

I have a tragic story involving The Road. Around the same time I was gifted with these three bundles of expensive joy, my neighbors also had 4 stray kittens born on their back porch. They live a lot nearer to the street, and...well, long story short, now they only have two. Fortunately for me, the two times I've caught my cats roaming across the street were early in the morning, while the traffic isn't too heavy. But still, I try keeping them in the back yard, next to the woods, where it's relatively safer.

Though it is interesting watching experienced animals try and cross the road. My old cat, Homer, I'm fairly certain he was winged by a car once because of how cautious he was. He'd step up to the edge of the street, and look left and right a few times before attempting to cross.

Exactly; that is what I have seen elderly dogs (and cats) do, walking slowly, checking oncoming traffic by looking left and right a few times, calculating the speed of the traffic (with compete accuracy), walking slowly, breaking into a trot when this was judged the correct response, crossing swiftly yet carefully - it was flawlessly judged and I was rapt with attention watching it with admiration at the degree of planning, knowledge, and intelligent calculation that had to have gone into that.

That sort of behaviour is fascinating, because it is learned (often reinforced by bitter and hard learned experience) and is not by any means not instinctual, or the sort of thing that one would expect to see passed down from parent to offspring (as, say hunting skills might be).

Indeed, I wonder how long (as in, how many generations) it will take for road crossing skills - and similar environmental awareness skills - to become part of what cats and dogs need to learn rapidly in order to ensure their long term survival, - and thus, when (in generational terms) one might see such skills actually remembered to be passed down.

Yes, re the actual procedures, a brother and sister pair of kittens used to live next door, they belonged to my next door neighbour's younger daughter; they were from the same litter and were very close. When both had their visit to the vet, I recall hearing the same story - she was poleaxed, he was mildly inconvenienced. Anyway, he knew that she was upset and sat near her, trying to get a response and cheer her up until she came back to herself. He was one of the friendliest, most talkative cats I had ever met.

Anyway, I hope your lot recover well; you've done very well and been extraordinarily caring and responsible.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.