Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Bob1.JPG
Bob2.JPG
Bob3.JPG
That sounds like a good deal. Plus, pets can offer you not just love and loyalty, but unconditional love, and loyalty, which is something awfully nice to be on the receiving end of.

Anyway, his evident health and happiness - just look at his gleaming coat - are a terrific testament to the pair of you and the quality of your the care and attention you clearly lavish on him.

You might care to remind some of the newer posters of the circumstances if his Bob came to be a part of your family, as it is a tale well worth telling.

It was a sad tale that, unfortunately, my wife (who is an RSPCA Inspector) is only too familiar with:

Bob was found dumped in a cardboard box in a car park when he was only around 8 weeks old. He had a ruptured eye, (which had to be removed), terrible mange (which meant that he was very crusty, smelly and hairless), he was so riddled with worms that they were coming out of his nose and he had had his dew claws ripped out on his front feet. He was dumped during a spate of awful weather and he had managed to toddle out of his cardboard box and was stumbling around the car park next to it. It was miraculous that he made it through the night really. If he hadn't have been found he would have almost certainly died within hours. My wife was the inspector who was called to attend and she rushed him off to the vets for treatment. After the operation he came to live with us for the weekend to monitor him and he was a really sorry sight, bless him. He recuperated for a few days and then Mrs MacRy took him off to the rehoming centre to find a new home. I was secretly really sad to see him go because I felt so sorry for the little guy but I didn't think that we could keep him as we have cats and I have never really been a dog person, despite Mrs MacRy's best efforts to persuade me to have one over the course of our ten years together. When he got to the rehoming centre they couldn't take him in as the type of mange he had was extremely contagious for other dogs so back he came. I was overjoyed and immediately suggested that we keep him and see how he went with the cats. You can imagine how delighted Mrs MacRy was :) So he stayed and he has become a loyal and loving friend to us both and the cats tolerate him (and occasionally show him the odd bit of affection). It turned out that he also has dodgy legs, so the chances are that he wouldn't have been eligible for rehoming anyway and may have been put to sleep.

Here is a photo of him when Mrs MacRy brought him home after his operation and a couple a week or so later that one of the RSPCA photographers took for the appeal that went out to find who was responsible for the abuse/dumping (they never found the person unfortunately).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
View attachment 604121 View attachment 604122 View attachment 604123

It was a sad tale that, unfortunately, my wife (who is an RSPCA Inspector) is only too familiar with:

Bob was found dumped in a cardboard box in a car park when he was only around 8 weeks old. He had a ruptured eye, (which had to be removed), terrible mange (which meant that he was very crusty, smelly and hairless), he was so riddled with worms that they were coming out of his nose and he had had his dew claws ripped out on his front feet. He was dumped during a spate of awful weather and he had managed to toddle out of his cardboard box and was stumbling around the car park next to it. It was miraculous that he made it through the night really. If he hadn't have been found he would have almost certainly died within hours. My wife was the inspector who was called to attend and she rushed him off to the vets for treatment. After the operation he came to live with us for the weekend to monitor him and he was a really sorry sight, bless him. He recuperated for a few days and then Mrs MacRy took him off to the rehoming centre to find a new home. I was secretly really sad to see him go because I felt so sorry for the little guy but I didn't think that we could keep him as we have cats and I have never really been a dog person, despite Mrs MacRy's best efforts to persuade me to have one over the course of our ten years together. When he got to the rehoming centre they couldn't take him in as the type of mange he had was extremely contagious for other dogs so back he came. I was overjoyed and immediately suggested that we keep him and see how he went with the cats. You can imagine how delighted Mrs MacRy was :) So he stayed and he has become a loyal and loving friend to us both and the cats tolerate him (and occasionally show him the odd bit of affection). It turned out that he also has dodgy legs, so the chances are that he wouldn't have been eligible for rehoming anyway and may have been put to sleep.

Here is a photo of him when Mrs MacRy brought him home after his operation and a couple a week or so later that one of the RSPCA photographers took for the appeal that went out to find who was responsible for the abuse/dumping (they never found the person unfortunately).

Brilliant story; I remember when you first posted about this, and I thought it a terrific tale. Well done, you both.

Moreover, the contrast with the sad, sorry creature in those earliest photos, and the gleaming coat of the contented, loved and happy dog you posted earlier this afternoon tell their own eloquent story.

Anyway, thanks again, for sharing.

Reactions: MacRy

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
View attachment 604121 View attachment 604122 View attachment 604123

What a sad but wonderful story - thanks for sharing!

My boy Kota catching some rays on the bed while daddy goes off to make the bacon!

And again, chilling on the couch watching TV.

kota1.JPG
kota3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

velvetelvis

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
My 2 boys. The little one is Oliver and he got him Wednesday before he made it into the sspca. The bigger one is Patrick and we have adopted him 6 months ago. He was in the sspca for a month and we can't figure out why. He is so loving and good natured.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 150

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
View attachment 605241
His name is Oscar and we get to pick him up on Friday!

What breed is he? He is gorgeous, and I hope you have have a terrific time getting to know Oscar and that you can build a great relationship with him.

Lily 1-02-2016

Haven't photographed Lily in awhile.

What a beautiful cat. Gorgeous.

Sam, our dalmatian / lab cross at 14¾. He's starting to show his age now, losing sight in one eye and going deaf (except for the rustling of food wrappers :D). He is also stumbling more often, but still goes out for at least 3 walks a day and is still full of mischief...

Sam at 14¾
by Hugh Russell, on Flickr

Cheers :)

Hugh

What a wonderful character - long may he live and long may you enjoy your relationship with him.

Reactions: Hughmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.