Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A 1957 Sonnar design Jupiter 3 50mm at F1.5

Here he is with his ball using a 90mm Leica Elmar-C at F4

25428274063_319721217f_h.jpg

Ah, a Leica shot; wonderful.

Again, I can only compare his gleaming and healthy coat and glowing and happy demeanour with the sad little creature rescued by Mrs MacRy a few years ago.

Lovely dog, lovely picture (and lovely lens - how do you find it?)

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Ah, a Leica shot; wonderful.

Again, I can only compare his gleaming and healthy coat and glowing and happy demeanour with the sad little creature rescued by Mrs MacRy a few years ago.

Lovely dog, lovely picture (and lovely lens - how do you find it?)

The Jupiter is a cracker of a lens. It has so much character at different apertures and is razor sharp.

The Leica is just wonderful. It one of the few lenses I have that needs next to no PP in Lightroom as its so contrasty and sharp. Just beautiful. I love the fact that it's so compact as well (I'm a sucker for rangefinder lenses in Leica mount) so I can easily carry it around without it weighing me down or getting in the way.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The Jupiter is a cracker of a lens. It has so much character at different apertures and is razor sharp.

The Leica is just wonderful. It one of the few lenses I have that needs next to no PP in Lightroom as its so contrasty and sharp. Just beautiful. I love the fact that it's so compact as well (I'm a sucker for rangefinder lenses in Leica mount) so I can easily carry it around without it weighing me down or getting in the way.

That, too, is one of the things that has attracted me most to Leica rangefinder lenses - how wonderfully small, (yet sturdy) and superlative they are. They weight very little, and this portability matters to me.

Lovely to see a Leica 90 in use.

Reactions: MacRy

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
That, too, is one of the things that has attracted me most to Leica rangefinder lenses - how wonderfully small, (yet sturdy) and superlative they are. They weight very little, and this portability matters to me.

Lovely to see a Leica 90 in use.

Indeed. The Jupiter is a Leica screw mount and made of aluminium so it's ridiculously tiny and light.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Indeed. The Jupiter is a Leica screw mount and made of aluminium so it's ridiculously tiny and light.

I have been enormously impressed by the rangefinder Leica lenses - the 50mm Summilux is gloriously tiny, and even the 35mm Summilux I have is svelte and neat, yet reassuringly solid, too. Both take terrific pictures, and can be carried everywhere.

I have read about your 90mm - it is a legendary lens, for both portability and quality.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I have been enormously impressed by the rangefinder Leica lenses - the 50mm Summilux is gloriously tiny, and even the 35mm Summilux I have is svelte and neat, yet reassuringly solid, too. Both take terrific pictures, and can be carried everywhere.

I have read about your 90mm - it is a legendary lens, for both portability and quality.

I'd love to be able to own a Lux or Cron but they are way out of my price range unfortunately. Maybe one day I'll save enough pennies to get one and perhaps even an M240 or M9. Hard to justify to Mrs MacRy though.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'd love to be able to own a Lux or Cron but they are way out of my price range unfortunately. Maybe one day I'll save enough pennies to get one and perhaps even an M240 or M9. Hard to justify to Mrs MacRy though.

Get them used; mine are all in flawless - almost new (because I suspect that they were actually hardly ever used) condition but were sold as 'used', i.e. pre-owned - meaning, in practice, that the price was half of what I would expect to pay for that lens new.

Then, to some extent, precisely because Leica lenses hold their value, you can trade up, (and trade in) and you may find - as I did - that the lenses then paid for each other, with some supplementary cash.

Likewise, my M6; that wasn't bought new - I got it used, in flawless condition.

My two Summiluxes were a fortunate buy. I had bought two Summicrons - (a 35mm and a 50mm) - which had never left the shop. I was working abroad in a very unstable environment, and - for the first time in my life - I didn't wish to bring the camera out with me.

Once, while home on leave, I spotted the two Summiluxes (35mm and 50mm) - someone had sold them to the authorised dealer. I phoned him, to check their condition (flawless), provenance (perfectly okay) and to wonder whether he would hold them, and that I would swop them for (initially for one of) the summicrons, and that I would be happy to pay the difference.

I paid just under half of the price those things would retail for new.

However, it does mean that I am putting together a nice set of lenses, lenses that will automatically fit a digital Leica M exceptionally well when I decide to head down that route.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I did get tempted by a used 50mm Summicron a while back but it was still too expensive for me at £700. Hence going down the Jupiter 3 route. It suits me fine at the moment and I can keep on dreaming in the meantime.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I did get tempted by a used 50mm Summicron a while back but it was still too expensive for me at £700. Hence going down the Jupiter 3 route. It suits me fine at the moment and I can keep on dreaming in the meantime.

This is where you sell a lot else to fund the Leica lens. And, because there will always be a gap - between what you make and what you can still be expected to pay - be prepared to bridge it with a little extra cash.

Now, granted, I was working abroad - in an exceedingly well paid position - at the time. Still, it was also a question of seizing the opportunity when it presented itself - I was very lucky to be able to lay hands on the two Summiluxes, and doubted whether such an opportunity would arise again for ages.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Bob enjoying the woods today.

26209418545_c2253be16b_h.jpg

Now, that is genuinely a really very good shot, @MacRy: Very well taken, both of the woods (terrific rendering of the colour - very atmospheric, love the way the light falls and how you have captured the shadows - it is almost autumnal in tone and shading) and of Bob happily loping along - his black-and-white coat offering a striking contrast to the colour scheme that surounds him.

Last edited:

kryten42

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
In a little world of my own
Here are a few images.

Firstly there is "Muffin". He is the cat we have had the longest.
IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

Then there is Izzy, she is new to us, she was a surrender that we fostered and decided to keep :)

DSC_0089.jpg

And here is Ashley. She is a rescue that we are fostering that is currently pregnant so we will have her until her kittens will be old enough to be separated (around 3 months old).

DSC_0098.jpg

And this is how she can usually be found :D

DSC_0126.jpg

We get a lot of cats and kittens through our house as we foster for a no-kill non-profit rescue locally to us.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Here are a few images.

Firstly there is "Muffin". He is the cat we have had the longest.
View attachment 629102

View attachment 629103

Then there is Izzy, she is new to us, she was a surrender that we fostered and decided to keep :)

View attachment 629099

And here is Ashley. She is a rescue that we are fostering that is currently pregnant so we will have her until her kittens will be old enough to be separated (around 3 months old).

View attachment 629100

And this is how she can usually be found :D

View attachment 629101

We get a lot of cats and kittens through our house as we foster for a no-kill non-profit rescue locally to us.

Lovely pictures and thanks for sharing.

Is Ashley going to be neutered after she has and her kittens?

Reactions: martin1000

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Spayed (neutering is for males!). Yes she will, as will the kittens be spayed/neutered as applicable.

Well, as I have never had a cat (or a dog, or a child) the precise detail of the vocabulary of feline birth control was not one I have ever needed to master. But I stand corrected and thank you for it.

And good to learn that the feline population will be slightly curbed as a consequence.

Actually, my neighbours - who have cats - use the euphemism 'a visit to the vet'.

Reactions: kryten42
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.