Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
6538b845eed5e94bbae3c09fc9729d33.jpg

kryten42

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
In a little world of my own
Well, as I have never had a cat (or a dog, or a child) the precise detail of the vocabulary of feline birth control was not one I have ever needed to master. But I stand corrected and thank you for it.

And good to learn that the feline population will be slightly curbed as a consequence.

Actually, my neighbours - who have cats - use the euphemism 'a visit to the vet'.
Balls-B-Gone :D

Renzatic

Suspended
So far they are doing well, hoping they continue to gain weight over these first few weeks which is critical for newborn kittens to survive. They should add around 10g per day (3 of them added around 13g in their first 24 hours, but one only 6g).

From my experiences dealing with kittens over the years, that smallest one will likely become the largest of the three.

kryten42

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
From my experiences dealing with kittens over the years, that smallest one will likely become the largest of the three.
Oh yeah. They had been doing very well, but mom has been a little sick the last two days which is not good so the kittens have not added weight over the last two days. Back to the vet again today most likely (Went yesterday and she got fluids and something to settle her stomach).

kryten42

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Oh yeah. They had been doing very well, but mom has been a little sick the last two days which is not good so the kittens have not added weight over the last two days. Back to the vet again today most likely (Went yesterday and she got fluids and something to settle her stomach).
Unfortunately one of the kittens passed away last night :( Took a quick downhill state and passed away at the emergency vet. The others so far are doing ok and adding weight. Keeping a very close eye on them hoping they do not do the same.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Unfortunately one of the kittens passed away last night :( Took a quick downhill state and passed away at the emergency vet. The others so far are doing ok and adding weight. Keeping a very close eye on them hoping they do not do the same.

Commiserations. Which of the kittens was it and what caused it to pass away? The same illness as the mother had?

Crazy tiny aren't they. That's why I love rangefinder lenses.

As am I. Super quality, (both glass and images) and exceedingly portable.

Reactions: MacRy and kryten42

kryten42

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Commiserations. Which of the kittens was it and what caused it to pass away? The same illness as the mother had?

It was the all grey one (#2). Not really sure what it was, seemed to just go downhill. Had a very hard stomach so possible bowel issue/degenerative issue. Had been one of the slower at adding weight over the last week or so (but was largest at birth).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It was the all grey one (#2). Not really sure what it was, seemed to just go downhill. Had a very hard stomach so possible bowel issue/degenerative issue. Had been one of the slower at adding weight over the last week or so (but was largest at birth).

That is the kitten on the far left of the photograph, but its head is second to the left because its head is under another kitten? Well, again, my sympathies.

That is a lovely photograph of the lot of them curled up together.

Feel free to post some more while the are still kittens (and getting on well together as litter mates).

kryten42

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
That is the kitten on the far left of the photograph, but its head is second to the left because its head is under another kitten? Well, again, my sympathies.

That is a lovely photograph of the lot of them curled up together.

Feel free to post some more while the are still kittens (and getting on well together as litter mates).
Yes, the one on the far left. I will be posting more. Will be taking updated pics this weekend.

kryten42

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Ah, excellent. There is something irredeemably cute about pictures of kittens.

And, will Mama Cat have any further litters?
No further litters, this will be her last! She already has a long waiting list of people wanting to adopt her, so once the kittens are all done eating and learning from her, she will get "fixed" and adopted out.

kryten42

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
So we had an eventful weekend! After the loss of one of the kittens late last week, we were down to three. Then yesterday we (the rescue group) gets a call about a kitten that is about a month old that was abandoned (no mum had been back in around 12-16 hours!) so someone bought it in to our adoption center! We took her in to the vet to get a quick check (couple of blood tests and a once over) and then when that came back clear it was decided to introduce her to our other kittens and mom (Ashley) to see if she would integrate and nurse with the rest of them. We had success, Ashley took her in as one of her own. She looks a little bigger, but weight wise is very much on par with the other three! I think the second picture says it all about Ashley taking her in :)

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

EDIT: There is no blanket down for them on purpose, not our decision, but Ashley removes any blanket we put down! She seems to like them being on the carpet instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.