Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, it happened... a week ago we rescued a whippet lurcher who we've called Milly. She only has two speeds - stop, and full ahead both.
I managed to get a photo of her sunning herself today in a quiet moment ...

Portrait of Milly
by Hugh Russell, on Flickr

Cheers :)

Hugh

Inevitable, inevitable.

Very well done, though, and I hope yourselves and Milly have a wonderful life together.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Inevitable, inevitable.

Very well done, though, and I hope yourselves and Milly have a wonderful life together.
Thank you; I'm sure she'll be OK. I think somewhere along the line Milly has been ill treated though, as she is a little wary and shies away if anyone makes any sudden moves by mistake.
However, she is a sweet and loving girl, and greatly enjoys cuddles with us. The other side of her (the mad side) runs so fast around the garden that she's wearing a race track into the grass ;)
Can't wait until we are able to trust her off the lead and let her run properly across open ground.

Did I mention that Milly loves cuddles?

Hugh

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thank you; I'm sure she'll be OK. I think somewhere along the line Milly has been ill treated though, as she is a little wary and shies away if anyone makes any sudden moves by mistake.
However, she is a sweet and loving girl, and greatly enjoys cuddles with us. The other side of her (the mad side) runs so fast around the garden that she's wearing a race track into the grass ;)
Can't wait until we are able to trust her off the lead and let her run properly across open ground.

Did I mention that Milly loves cuddles?

Hugh

Gorgeous photo.

Tell her abut Sam.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Gorgeous photo.

Tell her abut Sam.
Yes, we have mentioned him. This one is a completely different animal, and if I've got it right will be much more easy to deal with ;)
We will never forget Sam though, and with each passing day it's easier to think more of the great times we all had, and all the scrapes he managed to get into.

Hugh

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
Yes, we have mentioned him. This one is a completely different animal, and if I've got it right will be much more easy to deal with ;)
We will never forget Sam though, and with each passing day it's easier to think more of the great times we all had, and all the scrapes he managed to get into.

Hugh

Milly looks a lovely dog Hugh...

Reactions: Hughmac

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Milly looks a lovely dog Hugh...
She is, and yesterday I let her off the lead for the first time.
I had no intention of doing this for a while yet, but there was another lurcher on the field and she was straining to go. They both had great fun belting around, evenly matched for speed and turning agility, and once they slowed down a bit I even managed to get Milly to come back (with a little bait ;))
Very pleased with her progress :)

Hugh

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
She is, and yesterday I let her off the lead for the first time.
I had no intention of doing this for a while yet, but there was another lurcher on the field and she was straining to go. They both had great fun belting around, evenly matched for speed and turning agility, and once they slowed down a bit I even managed to get Milly to come back (with a little bait ;))
Very pleased with her progress :)

Hugh

Sounds like you both had great fun!

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Oh, a cat tree you say...

IMG_0234.JPG

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Well, it happened... a week ago we rescued a whippet lurcher who we've called Milly. She only has two speeds - stop, and full ahead both.
I managed to get a photo of her sunning herself today in a quiet moment ...

Portrait of Milly

Hugh
Congrats Hugh. She looks lovely and I'm sure that she'll settle in and gain confidence now that she has a loving forever home. Good on you for getting a rescue dog. Mrs MacRy is very proud of you as she is an RSPCA Inspector.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Congrats Hugh. She looks lovely and I'm sure that she'll settle in and gain confidence now that she has a loving forever home. Good on you for getting a rescue dog. Mrs MacRy is very proud of you as she is an RSPCA Inspector.
I've always had rescue dogs, and we tried the local RSPCA centre first, but their kennels are being rebuilt so not many dogs at the moment.
What gets me is, why are so many good and healthy animals discarded so they end up being rescued?

Hugh

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I've always had rescue dogs, and we tried the local RSPCA centre first, but their kennels are being rebuilt so not many dogs at the moment.
What gets me is, why are so many good and healthy animals discarded so they end up being rescued?

Hugh

Mrs MacRy says it’s because their owners can’t be arsed with looking after them and get bored so just dump them. They don’t see them as members of the family, simply objects that are fun for a while. Basically people are ****

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I finally got some photos of Milly playing, with her new friend Zuma, a young chocolate labrador. Sorry they're a bit blurry as they were quite a long way off when I took these...

Zuma and Milly
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Catch me If You Can
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Chase

Let's Play Bitey Face

Bestest Mates

Hugh

Last edited:

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
It's taken me a very long time to be able to post this, it was taken on October 9th, and is the last picture I ever took of Patches in her favourite spot on a window ledge, sun baking and watching the world go by, very shortly before taking her to be euthanised. She had major liver issues and was having nasty seizures in the last couple of days. She was with me for 17 years and brought a smile to my face every day with her playfulness and abundance of love. Miss you to bits slinky-bits...

_MG_6780-X3.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.