Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arazeleternal

macrumors member
May 17, 2016
I have yet to see any of these bugs that people are complaining about here, other than serious battery drain that seems to have really improved since beta 4. I have not seen this stuttering issue. It would be annoying, but I dont think it would make me regret the purchase. It’s a software issue. Software - especially software as complex as iOS - can break in some really amazing and unpredictable ways when major edits and changes are made. Just give it time. I’m sure it will get cleared out.

Reactions: bc 08 and 0-0

Rup.95Bee

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2022
Just to chip in my annoyance too, same lag sometimes but fairly often when swiping up to close apps iPhone 14 pro max 256GB. No problems with iPhone 12 Pro Max. It's a small problem but ruins the whole feel of the iPhone 14 IOS experience

yudilks

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
Choppy animation while closing app gone after restart, and I notice it’s back within several minutes of using if the AOD is turned on.

It’s okay without AOD. Anyone try this?

yudilks

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
I have yet to see any of these bugs that people are complaining about here, other than serious battery drain that seems to have really improved since beta 4. I have not seen this stuttering issue. It would be annoying, but I dont think it would make me regret the purchase. It’s a software issue. Software - especially software as complex as iOS - can break in some really amazing and unpredictable ways when major edits and changes are made. Just give it time. I’m sure it will get cleared out.
Which iPhone are you using? Is it iPhone 13 Pro or 14 Pro? This issue affects iPhone 14 Pro, which I think it’s due to the always on display.

Hippiesrlame

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2015
There’s something off about iOS 16’s memory management. The nightly soft SystemMemoryReset reboots are back from many iOS releases ago. Also noticing some apps are quick to be dropped from memory on my iPhone 14 pro.

Rup.95Bee

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2022
The dynamic island is a new feature on the 14 pro max and may have caused a lot or some of the UI to be rewritten? Sadly they’ve not done a good job. The notes app displays incorrectly, text on top of each other, is another bug

Rodrigovmed

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2022
I just dont understand why some people dont have this issue. Someone in this thread said) I dont remember exatcly who) that everyone they know is experiecing the lag. Others insist their iphones are smooth as butter. There's no way not to ser this bug. It's so overt. It appeared 3 days after my iPhone activation. Initially I felt some discomfort like the software is laggy and wrong and then I saw clearly the double stutter efect. And it happened in 3 out of 3 iPhones 14PM and it didnt in my 13PM. Honestly, it doenst ruim the experiencie but it definitely turns me off like an ice water.

MagicMiguel

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2020
I wonder if it's something with the Pro or Pro Max? My wife as the standard iPhone 14 and it doesn't do this. I've played around for hours on it trying to make it happen. When this happened back on iOS 13 some people swore they didn't see it either. Apple support was convinced it was an issue with specific accounts. If I was able to get a spare iPhone 14, I'd activate it with my account and see if it happens with my account on that device because my wife's definitely does not have it.

Rodrigovmed

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2022
I wonder if it's something with the Pro or Pro Max? My wife as the standard iPhone 14 and it doesn't do this. I've played around for hours on it trying to make it happen. When this happened back on iOS 13 some people swore they didn't see it either. Apple support was convinced it was an issue with specific accounts. If I was able to get a spare iPhone 14, I'd activate it with my account and see if it happens with my account on that device because my wife's definitely does not have it.
My iPhone 13PM was logged into my account and it didn’t have this issue. I’ve never experienced this issue on iPhone X, XS Max, 11PM, 12PM and 13PM, the latter with iOS16. This issue only happened to me with 14PM. I think it has to do with 14PM and iOS 16. If I had a spare one I would perform a clean install. In my second and third trial, in the three different iPhones, everything began during backup from iCloud, especifically with meta WhatsApp. The app installation got stuck at some point, after download, and then I deleted the app and downloaded it again but from App Store. Then the first lag, the double stutter effect, appeared.

I’ve already experienced many bugs due to backup from iCloud, but they were related to apps functioning and not the iOS itself. It probably has something to do with always on display and dynamic island software changes. Clearly a RAM issue. Maybe a backup from an iPhone without this technology (13 PM and below) could trigger an abnormal response. I’d prefer to download all my 300 apps every other day TGO than experiencing this issue.

I swear to you that my 13PM was perfect, with no lags and iOS 16.02 installed. It’s not only a iOS 16 thing. But some people do report the stuttering after updating to iOS 16 in older iPhones. Some say they’ve done a clean install and even tough had the issue on the 14PM. There isn’t a clear and unique pattern. All we can say is that it’s an iPhone 14 Pro and iOS 16 tendencious issue, maybe aggravated by backup from iCloud using an older iPhone. I really hope it’s not related to some Apple accounts. It wouldn’t make sense unless for the backup.

Jeffonion

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2022
Running iOS 16.0.2 on iPhone 14 Pro Max (512G).

When I open an application (random) and use it for a while, there will be a lag when I swipe up and close it. If I immediately reopen the same application and close it, the same problem will not occur. This doesn't happen every time, but from time to time.

Restarting the phone fixed the issue briefly, but it would come back after one day.
Exactly same issue. Also swipe up unlock from allways on display also lags time to time and even skip the animation sometimes

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Disabling the always on display has sorted out the lag issue for me (for now)
I’ve only used it for one day when I first got my 14PM, couldn’t see any need for it so turned it off. No stuttering seen at all, if there was any that first day I didn’t notice. But no lags and no stuttering, but I’m not on a beta, only 16.0.3.

Rodrigovmed

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2022
Not 100% solved but definitely much better than with AOD turned on.
It’s intermittent. It worsens and improves randomly so we would associate it with any change in the settings. It improves significantly after reboot, in first place, and secondly after closing all apps.

It isn’t visible on day one.

Last edited:

Rodrigovmed

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2022
I’ve only used it for one day when I first got my 14PM, couldn’t see any need for it so turned it off. No stuttering seen at all, if there was any that first day I didn’t notice. But no lags and no stuttering, but I’m not on a beta, only 16.0.3.
Did you set up your iPhone as new?

D2206XXIT

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2022
I’ve same bug on my iPhone 14 Pro Max.
Are we sure this is a software bug and not a hardware problem?

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Did you set up your iPhone as new?
No, did the quick set up from the old phone. I did use the AOD for a day but saw no reason to use it and turned it off. Have yet to see any stuttering or lags. It’s possible that very first day I had it with that feature on that there could have been some issue but nothing that I remember and definitely nothing since.

D2206XXIT

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2022
No, did the quick set up from the old phone. I did use the AOD for a day but saw no reason to use it and turned it off. Have yet to see any stuttering or lags. It’s possible that very first day I had it with that feature on that there could have been some issue but nothing that I remember and definitely nothing since.
I’ve set up my iPhone as new and I don’t use AOD but I’ve this bug.

Rodrigovmed

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2022
Everything I’ve already done to try and fix this (nothing works for more than a few hours)

1) Force restart
2) Turn off and then on
3) Delete IPhone and set up as new. (But I cant go back in time and do it during initial configuration)
4) Change system language
5) Update software
6) Try all betas
7) Turn off always on display
8) Delete some apps like WhatsApp
9) Change and delete widgets
10) Change background picture
11) Turn off deep effect
12) Log in to other ICloud account
13) Change iCloud settings.

Next: Throw out of window (Defenestrastion. Almost there!) and buy a Galaxy S22. Nope, no way. I’d rather buy an IPhone 13PM.

If we could feed this list and send it to Apple, maybe they could acknowledge it. People and companies have difficulty saying I’m sorry, I’ve made a mistake.

No better explanation than multiple defective units prone to this iOS 16 issue which may be trigger by a backup from iCloud.

Reactions: kevinswiss
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.