Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D2206XXIT

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2022
I just tried to close background apps and the problem is gone at the moment. However I believe that the bug is related to the management of the ram and the number of apps open in the background. Apple must immediately solve this problem which I repeat is not present on the 13 Pro Max.

D2206XXIT

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2022
I just tried to close background apps and the problem is gone at the moment. However I believe that the bug is related to the management of the ram and the number of apps open in the background. Apple must immediately solve this problem which I repeat is not present on the 13 Pro Max.
update: after a while the bug returns

turbochgd

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
Try not to close apps in background and then you'll see how this amazing bug that affects ALL iPhone 14 Pro Max

I suspected this was a memory management issue when this thread first started so I did turn off most apps from running in the background weeks ago. But before I did that I only very occasionally noticed any app closing lag, nothing I normally wouldn’t have thought was out of the ordinary except for having read this thread.

Reactions: D2206XXIT

D2206XXIT

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2022
I suspected this was a memory management issue when this thread first started so I did turn off most apps from running in the background weeks ago. But before I did that I only very occasionally noticed any app closing lag, nothing I normally wouldn’t have thought was out of the ordinary except for having read this thread.
did it show up anyway even by disabling the apps in the background?

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
This is definitely a RAM management issue and it’s a shame this is going to be a public release tomorrow with this issue. The only workaround right now is to restart the iPhone when this happens

Rodrigovmed

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2022
I absolutely love my iPhone 14 PM. And I didn’t come from an old iPhone but the 13 Pro which I also adored. I’m so sorry you’ve had the issues you’ve had, but please understand not everyone is having these problems, and it may well be that the majority of people including myself aren’t.

I hear your frustration and get how disappointing it is when things aren’t working as expected.

I’m absolutely obsessive with my phones and not easily impressed or pleased if there are glitches, no matter how trivial to others. But I’ve just been thrilled with this year’s iPhone and it’s been 1 month now I’ve had it.
It affects all iPhones. I have 3 (three) IPhones 14 Pro Max, each one with 256, 512 and 1028Gb. The first I bought on China, the second on France and the third on the USA. All of them are affected. All! Do you really think I’m a bad luck guy? Some people on this thread has already said they’ve exchanged their iPhone for another defective unit. It’s an IPhone 14 Pro Max + iOS 16 issue!

D2206XXIT

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2022
It affects all iPhones. I have 3 (three) IPhones 14 Pro Max, each one with 256, 512 and 1028Gb. The first I bought on China, the second on France and the third on the USA. All of them are affected. All! Do you really think I’m a bad luck guy? Some people on this thread has already said they’ve exchanged their iPhone for another defective unit. It’s an IPhone 14 Pro Max + iOS 16 issue!
Exactly

Reactions: Rodrigovmed

ManuCH

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2009
Switzerland

I can confirm. Me and 3 friends all got the iPhone 14 Pro Max, we all have the issue. On iOS 16.0.2, 16.0.3, 16.1 beta 4, beta 5 and RC. All the same.

turbochgd

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022

Ok, looks like I’m wrong. Well let’s hope this gets resolved soon and thank you for the action you’ve and others have already taken to help make that happen.

I haven’t seen it except for a few instances in the month I’ve had the phone, but I do have background app activity shut off for the most part.

Reactions: AhRiHmAn

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
14 PM here and no such issue. My wife’s 12 also on ios 16.0.3, no such issue. Does not affect all phones obviously. The only mention I’ve even seen is this thread. I understand it is bothersome for those affected, but it does not affect all phones on ios 16. Didn’t even affect my 13PM On 16. Since it has been your phones that have the issue I would be looking for your specific problem.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I haven’t seen it except for a few instances in the month I’ve had the phone, but I do have background app activity shut off for the most part.
I’ve never shut down background refresh for any app I needed which is most of them. Those few that don’t need to be refreshed in the background I have turned that off but I rarely go through that list to find them. Never had this problem on any phone on 16 or otherwise except perhaps when a new ios was just installed, but the last time I remember anything similar to this was ios 11 and it was cleared up very quickly with an update.

Rodrigovmed

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2022
It’s a probability matter. Let’s say 20% of the phones are affected. And I’m not considering older or newer batches. I’ve bought the first in France, on launch day. Lets say I am a bad lucky guy. I had 20% of misfortune and I got the defective one (hardware prone to software issue). Then I traveled to China, 14 days after, got another one and finally the last one on the USA, 7 days later. Each one with a different memory capacity. Mathematically it’d be 0,2^3, which would be 0,008 or 0,8%. The American one, with 1 Tera, I’ve set up as new and logged into a different ICloud account. After the second one, I knew it was a generalized problem. It’s not a iOS16 generalized problem but an IPhone 14 or 14 Pro MAX + iOS 16 issue. It’s spread on the web. Some people doesn’t notice, recognize or care about it. Fine! Others close apps all the time (I used to do it with 12PM and didn’t notice the issue). I restate that my 13PM, which I’ve unfortunately exchanged for the American one didn’t have the issue.

All my friends (more than 10 people) who are as detail oriented as me also have the issue.

Will Apple acknowledge it and risk to have some fall in their stocks? I don’t think so.

Last edited:

Rodrigovmed

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2022
I could sell my 1Tb one and buy a 512Gb 14PM, in a different country. It would present the same issue. And I am not the lottery guy. I’m the math one.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I could sell my 1Tb one and buy a 512Gb 14PM, in a different country. It would present the same issue. And I am not the lottery guy. I’m the math one.
The common denominator is you. I’m not denying you have an issue. But stating that all phones have your issue is not only arrogant it’s demonstrably false. Or maybe my wife, myself, and others I know with recent phones are just blessed by a higher power. None of the other forums I follow have mentioned such an issue. And Apple stock will do just fine. Hope you get your problem sorted out soon.

Reactions: turbochgd

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
Found a quick and easy way to solve this in the meantime by clearing RAM

Settings>Accessibility>Accessibility Shortcut set to AssistiveTouch only

Then go back one menu, Touch > AssistiveTouch>customize top level menu and make sure the home button is present

When your phone starts lagging, triple press the side button so AssistiveTouch shows up, then open settings > general > tap shut down at the bottom and hold the virtual home button until the phone prompts you for the passcode.

This has been driving me nuts this past week and I'll be one of the first on 16.2b1 if it doesn't have any groundbreaking bugs.

Rodrigovmed

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2022
The common denominator is you. I’m not denying you have an issue. But stating that all phones have your issue is not only arrogant it’s demonstrably false. Or maybe my wife, myself, and others I know with recent phones are just blessed by a higher power. None of the other forums I follow have mentioned such an issue. And Apple stock will do just fine. Hope you get your problem sorted out soon.
I am the common denominator? Lol. I think I’ve made myself crystal clear. I understand the issue hasn’t appeared on your iPhone YET. Nonetheless, I can assure you if you install a set of apps, the issue will appear on your blessed and chosen one.

Rodrigovmed

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2022
I’ve just reseted one of the iPhones and I’m gonna use it with just the pre installed apps and with YouTube. Let’s see if the issue will show up. I am sure it’s being caused by some set of apps.

Guys without the bug, do you use Telegram or WhatsApp?

Rodrigovmed

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2022
Ps: I’m not saying it’s only visible through some apps. It can emerge from any app when returning to Home Screen. I think it’s being triggered by the interaction of some apps, iOS 16 and iPhone 14 Pro/Pro max RAM management.

Rodrigovmed

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2022
Background App Refresh. It’s located in Settings:General. I really haven’t seen any difference in app performance by disabling them.
Mine is already disabled. It’s not this setting that it’s triggering the bug. I’ve already reseted an iPhone 14 PM and installed only YouTube. Let’s see it behavior.

ggab

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
I’ve just reseted one of the iPhones and I’m gonna use it with just the pre installed apps and with YouTube. Let’s see if the issue will show up. I am sure it’s being caused by some set of apps.

Guys without the bug, do you use Telegram or WhatsApp?
I use Telegram

Edit: sorry, I missed that you said those WITHOUT the bug. I am experiencing the bug and I use Telegram.

Nightchris

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2022
Turn off the search field on the home screen (just use the dots as in previous IOS systems), than restart your phone and wait about 10 min than turn it on. The swipe up lag will disappear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.