Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dkotanid

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
Greece
Same prob to me from installing 7 and still continue on 7.0.1. Hope apple will fix it cause i lose my trust on my watch!

clau_logo

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
So tired of these reboots. Hate allready Apple for this stupid update. If they don’t fix it soon probably they will loose lot’s of clients.
I managed to restored it 6.2.1 in the last 2 weeks and now can’t restore it anymore to that firmware.
Big mistake this update.

gus1989

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2011
Did a backup on the Phone, unpaired the watch. Wiped the phone, then restored and repaired. Fingers crossed, so far no reboots in the last 24 hours. If nothing else, I got my GPS data back from run/walks.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
So tired of these reboots. Hate allready Apple for this stupid update. If they don’t fix it soon probably they will loose lot’s of clients.

Really? You think people will abandon a very effective system just for this minor inconvenience. I wear my S3 every day and I only occasionally experience or at least notice the reboots. I think most Apple watch users understand this will be a temporary inconvenience and know it will pass as fast as Apple can figure it out.

Reactions: Jxdawg

clau_logo

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
Really? You think people will abandon a very effective system just for this minor inconvenience. I wear my S3 every day and I only occasionally experience or at least notice the reboots. I think most Apple watch users understand this will be a temporary inconvenience and know it will pass as fast as Apple can figure it out.

Man! Chill. I’ve just said that i’m sick and tired of these reboots. It’s my personal opinion. If i didn’t liked apple products i didn’t made an account on this forum. Just to let you know i still have an Ipad 4 and love it even today so let’s not get out of the topic. I hope that they will make the update pretty fast because i miss my AW3 running like a charm with no reboots. So take a sit and wait. We all do that and nobody made an offtopic post. Everybody posts his experience and if you paid attention to my post i’ve told that there is no chance now for downgrading to WatchOS 6.2.1.

SR 7

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Explain this to me...I have my watch off when I wear it now because the battery life won’t last more then 8 hours now with the new iOS .

I downgraded to the previous iOS and the issue continues. Damage is done.

so even while the watch is off it REBOOTS. how the **** is that possible?

clau_logo

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
I really don’t know. Sorry mate for your problems but mine yesterday rebooted 6 times when i was driving in 3 hours and 135 km. Hope they will fix it very soon. Saturday i’ve gave it 3 erase content and data and now it’s worst that i even can imagine.

Theophilus1

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010
Me, too, on the reboots. Kind a glad to hear that it is a "thing." Maybe Apple will solve it soon. My watch has been rock solid until this. I must admit, I'm getting tired of Apple releasing half-baked software. It seems that there is something on every product each year. I've got to start turning off automatic updates on all my Apple stuff once I get it working. Series 3 cellular (AT&T).

Reactions: TwoZeroNine

wvayens

macrumors member
May 5, 2015
I find it hard to believe Apple hasn't solved this problem yet (or quickly). It's clearly widespread and having your watch just reboot multiple times in the middle of the day (especially when recording a workout) is just unacceptable.

Reactions: TwoZeroNine

Penny Missirlian

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2020
Hey together,

My Series 3 (bought this year) keeps restarting after the upgrade to WatchOS 7. Before that, it worked really great and stable.
I did a complete reset (and didnt restored a backup) but the problem is still there. It happens 2-3 times per day, randomly, when wearing it (no action, no touch, nothing).

Anyone except me encountering this problem? Of course, its a .0-release and the Series 3 might not be as popular anymore as 4, 5 or 6 - but maybe some of you have this bug, too.

Greetings!
My watch was working fine until I got the update notice and decided I would go ahead, being I needed it the next day for a 8 week boot camp. The update crashed the watch and it failed to pair with my 11pro again. I spent a lot of time with a tech on the phone with no help then I went in to Apple the next day and they sent it for repair. Unfortunately it was returned in just a few short days saying s.o.l. We have been customers since 1991 ?. Thanks Apple!

Aknibe17

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2020
I have the same problem along with activity ring jumps around and maps no longer sync with Strava.

gagnon1s

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2020
Hey together,

My Series 3 (bought this year) keeps restarting after the upgrade to WatchOS 7. Before that, it worked really great and stable.
I did a complete reset (and didnt restored a backup) but the problem is still there. It happens 2-3 times per day, randomly, when wearing it (no action, no touch, nothing).

Anyone except me encountering this problem? Of course, its a .0-release and the Series 3 might not be as popular anymore as 4, 5 or 6 - but maybe some of you have this bug, too.

Greetings!

Mine does the same thing! I am so pissed that it isn't working sometimes it has issues other times it will run for a day or two and work just fine. Apple won't do anything to fix it since it is out of warranty.

clau_logo

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
Let’s hope that next tuesday when Iphone 12 will be release we will have the fix for this with WatchOS 7.1

hike108

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2020
My brand new Apple Watch 3 rebooted multiple times a day after OS7 update. I turned off Siri on the watch and no more rebooting or shutting down.

The_Void

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2020
I’ve been dealing with Apple support for this issue for two weeks now. Today I am told that I have to send my watch to Apple to be reset and then have it sent back. They are covering the costs. I get that it is not under Apple care anymore but fee maybe they should be doing more to solve this issue that they caused. They should have just said Watch OS7 is not for Series 3.

Reactions: mguzzi

CXK

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2009
I’ve been dealing with Apple support for this issue for two weeks now. Today I am told that I have to send my watch to Apple to be reset and then have it sent back. They are covering the costs. I get that it is not under Apple care anymore but fee maybe they should be doing more to solve this issue that they caused. They should have just said Watch OS7 is not for Series 3.
This makes me wonder if they can’t fix it via firmware. I’m getting so tired of it, but absolutely refuse to reward their incompetence by buying a new watch.

Reactions: mguzzi

Dan East

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
This is purely speculation on my part, but (as a software developer) I'm a bit concerned that the problem is the OS has grown too large / demanding for the Series 3 hardware. Specifically the amount of RAM required. As the OS and embedded features of the watch grow (IE adding stuff like Sleep Tracking), the amount of RAM required must increase. Apple does not release specs of this detail, but according to experts, the S3 watches have 768 MB of RAM, while S4 and S5 have 1 GB of RAM. So the OS may simply not have enough RAM to function properly in real-world usage. It works fine for a while after a reboot, but then as more and more RAM is consumed it eventually crashes. This would also explain why a fix hasn't been released yet, because there is no "easy" fix, as this isn't just a bug that is causing a kernel crash. Somehow memory usage would have to be reduced, or features removed, for use on the S3.

Reducing 3rd party app usage, as some people have tried, could make it work better, for a while, by reducing the RAM usage.

For me, the problem seems to somehow be related to changes in connectivity between my watch and / or phone. It seems to happen as I am switching to or from Wifi to cellular (on my phone), or when my watch is or isn't in range of the phone. Again, this could also be RAM related, as the watch switches from one network stack to another, or because internet connectivity comes back online and the watch syncs and begins processing data.

Again, 100% speculation, but that at least fits in with most of the various facts we know so far.

Reactions: appleman3000

appleman3000

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2019
This is purely speculation on my part, but (as a software developer) I'm a bit concerned that the problem is the OS has grown too large / demanding for the Series 3 hardware. Specifically the amount of RAM required. As the OS and embedded features of the watch grow (IE adding stuff like Sleep Tracking), the amount of RAM required must increase. Apple does not release specs of this detail, but according to experts, the S3 watches have 768 MB of RAM, while S4 and S5 have 1 GB of RAM. So the OS may simply not have enough RAM to function properly in real-world usage. It works fine for a while after a reboot, but then as more and more RAM is consumed it eventually crashes. This would also explain why a fix hasn't been released yet, because there is no "easy" fix, as this isn't just a bug that is causing a kernel crash. Somehow memory usage would have to be reduced, or features removed, for use on the S3.

Reducing 3rd party app usage, as some people have tried, could make it work better, for a while, by reducing the RAM usage.

For me, the problem seems to somehow be related to changes in connectivity between my watch and / or phone. It seems to happen as I am switching to or from Wifi to cellular (on my phone), or when my watch is or isn't in range of the phone. Again, this could also be RAM related, as the watch switches from one network stack to another, or because internet connectivity comes back online and the watch syncs and begins processing data.

Again, 100% speculation, but that at least fits in with most of the various facts we know so far.

I just started a diagnostic report with apple. I hope I don't have to send my watch in as well.

appleman3000

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2019

Attachments

• 6F31A971-E8A3-46E5-8753-61539FC15A9C.jpeg
    6F31A971-E8A3-46E5-8753-61539FC15A9C.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 184

clau_logo

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
This morning at 7 am I’ve disabled Siri and i’ve kept just 3 apps. No reboots till now.
d1e21e1d929a8d5f9d2a6a73bfc5496a.jpg

5ad4d9a23952ac0db9d19715d9339f07.jpg

b1b1ea31ac50745eae5b2e9de294293c.jpg

TM70s

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2020
USA
If it helps anyone...

My Series 3 GPS has suffered multiple daily reboots and complete shutdowns (with challenges powering it back on) and poor battery life since updating to watchOS 7.0. It stopped only a few days after later updating to watchOS 7.0.1 then returned in a worse fashion than before where the reboots were happening nearly every hour.

I have exhausted all troubleshooting with Apple Support online, have spoken with a Senior Apple Advisor by phone and he finally referred me to my local Apple Store Genius Bar. I have done this over the course of nearly 4 weeks which is a ridiculous amount of time for anyone to spend on this issue.

I visited my Genius bar (prior to my appointment date as they worked me in) and after learning they wanted to charge me $159 to replace my 3 GPS with another one of the same model but with only a 90-day warranty, and the high potential this issue would return until they have a solid resolution, I told them they had to give me other options. That was *not* acceptable to me under any stretch of the imagination. My 3 was out of warranty to explain the $159 charge and they were *not* willing to waive it.

They then offered the option to buy my 3 fully knowing of the issues. They said that because it powers on and is operational in spite of the reboots, it was enough justification for them. This was at a North Carolina store. I sold it to them without hesitation and received an Apple gift card. This worked perfectly for me and may be an option for others here too.

Even though I'm watchless now, I'm absolutely fine with waiting this out to determine IF I choose to buy another Apple Watch with my gift card and if so, which model I will buy that's far clear of these issues. But as of right now, there's no rush for me.

Reactions: kcfrankjr

kcfrankjr

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2020
How much did they pay for the watch?

If it helps anyone...

My Series 3 GPS has suffered multiple daily reboots and complete shutdowns (with challenges powering it back on) and poor battery life since updating to watchOS 7.0. It stopped only a few days after later updating to watchOS 7.0.1 then returned in a worse fashion than before where the reboots were happening nearly every hour.

I have exhausted all troubleshooting with Apple Support online, have spoken with a Senior Apple Advisor by phone and he finally referred me to my local Apple Store Genius Bar. I have done this over the course of nearly 4 weeks which is a ridiculous amount of time for anyone to spend on this issue.

I visited my Genius bar (prior to my appointment date as they worked me in) and after learning they wanted to charge me $159 to replace my 3 GPS with another one of the same model but with only a 90-day warranty, and the high potential this issue would return until they have a solid resolution, I told them they had to give me other options. That was *not* acceptable to me under any stretch of the imagination. My 3 was out of warranty to explain the $159 charge and they were *not* willing to waive it.

They then offered the option to buy my 3 fully knowing of the issues. They said that because it powers on and is operational in spite of the reboots, it was enough justification for them. This was at a North Carolina store. I sold it to them without hesitation and received an Apple gift card. This worked perfectly for me and may be an option for others here too.

Even though I'm watchless now, I'm absolutely fine with waiting this out to determine IF I choose to buy another Apple Watch with my gift card and if so, which model I will buy that's far clear of these issues. But as of right now, there's no rush for me.

TM70s

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2020
USA
If it helps anyone...

How much did they pay for the watch?

They paid $95 for my 3 GPS 42mm. It’s the same amount offered on the Apple trade-in site: https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

Attachments

• 22542693-5FB7-4A23-AE1E-EF282ECB337E.png
    22542693-5FB7-4A23-AE1E-EF282ECB337E.png
    709.2 KB · Views: 119
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.