Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
I'm checking with JL now about returns as they told me a couple of years back that they only accept them back with the seal intact...

That’s a load of bollox

By law in the UK (distance selling regulations) your allowed to inspect the item and send it back unused if you do not wish to keep it, which means the seal can be removed. It’s the same for all items purchased online apart from the usual gift cards etc

Obviosuly someone doesn’t know their stuff at JL

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
That’s a load of bollox

By law in the UK (distance selling regulations) your allowed to inspect the item and send it back unused if you do not wish to keep it, which means the seal can be removed. It’s the same for all items purchased online apart from the usual gift cards etc

Obviosuly someone doesn’t know their stuff at JL

That's what I thought at the time, but scared me into going with Apple as I couldn't be bothered quoting the law and the hassle.

Pretty sure they came out with some crap that they have them on display, so you can look at them before opening the box. This was a collect in store.

Reactions: leebroath

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Why do you need to quote the Law when it’s already stated on their returns policy online

‘If you’ve changed your mind about keeping your purchase, please return it in its original condition with proof of purchase and we’ll exchange or refund it.

Unless faulty, this should be within 35 days of receiving your order. By original condition, we’d expect this to mean that you’ve kept packaging and labels, and that the item is undamaged and unused.

Once returned, we’ll refund the person who originally placed and paid for the order. This includes items you've purchased in Clearance or Price Match events’

No where does it state that you must not open an item or in your case ‘break the seal’,. Stick to your guns mate, because if JL stated in writing that you couldn’t break the seal then they themselves would be breaking the Law.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Why do you need to quote the Law when it’s already stated on their returns policy online

‘If you’ve changed your mind about keeping your purchase, please return it in its original condition with proof of purchase and we’ll exchange or refund it.

Unless faulty, this should be within 35 days of receiving your order. By original condition, we’d expect this to mean that you’ve kept packaging and labels, and that the item is undamaged and unused.

Once returned, we’ll refund the person who originally placed and paid for the order. This includes items you've purchased in Clearance or Price Match events’

No where does it state that you must not open an item or in your case ‘break the seal’,. Stick to your guns mate, because if JL stated in writing that you couldn’t break the seal then they themselves would be breaking the Law.

My lady is a lawyer anyway, so not concerned lol I just wanted something in writing I could throw at them if needed.

Reactions: philipc121

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Cool buddy ;)

Just read what you wrote above

Yes they are right if it was in store, the distance selling regulations cover you if purchased online and delivered to your house

Reactions: philipc121

JamesHP

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2010
Manchester, UK
Yes, but I called them and they don't know when they are coming in. No stock showing for Friday yet. If they do get them, I bet they will be the only one.

I'd expect them to be tight lipped on stock for now - we'll see what comes up on Friday I suppose, worth a shot.

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Has anyone managed to get any existing customer deals via EE, or are they sticking to what is on the website? £0 upfront £29/month for 40mm, £30 upfront £29/ month for 44mm?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Late to the thread this year but this is what I went for:

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 14.01.59.png

I too had Apple Pay get declined a few hours later, which is fine, it often happens - you just have to call up and get them to re-process the payment using your physical card.

Except this year my bank decided to cancel my card for 'fraud', too...

All sorted now but what a pain. Still, has to be done if you want to get your order confirmed ASAP!

Reactions: bigwordbird

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
My Barclaycard Apple Pay went through fine, I was charged and changed to preparing to dispatch on the first day.

44mm SS.

rossy100

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2011
Late to the thread this year but this is what I went for:

View attachment 782665

I too had Apple Pay get declined a few hours later, which is fine, it often happens - you just have to call up and get them to re-process the payment using your physical card.

Except this year my bank decided to cancel my card for 'fraud', too...

All sorted now but what a pain. Still, has to be done if you want to get your order confirmed ASAP!

When did your order change to PFD? I've ordered same model for 21st but am still on 'Order in progress' :-(

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I returned an Apple Watch to John Lewis last year. I had opened the box, which involved breaking a couple of seals. No problem with the return.

Same with Argos. I returned an iPhone after opening the box. No problem with the return.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I returned an Apple Watch to John Lewis last year. I had opened the box, which involved breaking a couple of seals. No problem with the return.

Same with Argos. I returned an iPhone after opening the box. No problem with the return.

Awesome, thanks for confirming! I must have dealt with an idiot who didn't have a clue!!

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Payment taken today.

8:03 order for 2 watches and 2 phones.

Order status still preparing for dispatch

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Yes, but I called them and they don't know when they are coming in. No stock showing for Friday yet. If they do get them, I bet they will be the only one.

With respect a customer service rep isn’t really going to know much about Apple stock availability other than what they can see online, as helpful as JL staff usually are.

I have always found JL to be very well served with Apple stock for launch dates.

You just need to be vigilant online because the stock will come and go once we hit Thursday/Friday.

Jinjin

macrumors G3
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK.
With respect a customer service rep isn’t really going to know much about Apple stock availability other than what they can see online, as helpful as JL staff usually are.

I have always found JL to be very well served with Apple stock for launch dates.

You just need to be vigilant online because the stock will come and go once we hit Thursday/Friday.

Check out istocknow’s site as they have a live stock tracker once the go live and also support notifications

FatherOfTwo

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
Has anyone managed to get any existing customer deals via EE, or are they sticking to what is on the website? £0 upfront £29/month for 40mm, £30 upfront £29/ month for 44mm?

I've currently got an Apple Watch Series 3 Cellular and the EE site talks about upgrade but when I try it just takes me to the standard Apple Watch Series 4 page, so I can't see any deals of existing customers.

Last edited:

rossy100

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2011

I agree :)

2 years ago, when no-one had any Jet Black 8 Pluses (even Apple had none for launch day pre-orders), I managed go get one on launch day (for next day delivery to store) from JL. Tip re JL is to keep checking throughout day as stock tends to randomly appear!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.