Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

victoriani

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2013
Hertfordshire, UK
Any idea's when you think it might go live? Anyone with previous experience of this? I'll be trying from 08:00 tomorrow! Do we think it'll match what can be seen with stock available in the JL app? I suspect not all the stores have updated to there.

Not sure I'm afraid. Whenever I have pre-ordered iPhones etc, it was always Apple directly so first time I have decided to purchase from JL instead, but I find the app quite reliable. I'll just check the website as well as the app from 8am and hopefully bag one! Good luck!

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
Does anyone know whether Apple claim the whole amount when you make a purchase which won’t deliver this month? I’m thinking about using the same card at another store on Friday if something comes up.

Last edited:

Jinjin

macrumors G3
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK.
Any idea's when you think it might go live? Anyone with previous experience of this? I'll be trying from 08:00 tomorrow! Do we think it'll match what can be seen with stock available in the JL app? I suspect not all the stores have updated to there.

The store stock shown will be different to the online inventory.

No idea about the time sorry, might be worth seeing if they’ve followed up on their tweet.. someone must have asked them

C225

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2007
Scotland
Does anyone know whether Apple claim the whole amount when you make a purchase which won’t deliver this month? I’m thinking about using the same card at another store on Friday if something comes up.
They usually only take payment when the status goes to preparing for dispatch. Before then it’s just a pending charge that’ll disappear after a few days.

Reactions: GadgetBen

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
It occurs to me that my Apple Watch is £200 more expensive than my iPhone.

64GB is more than enough on my XS Max but I have to have the Hermes bands and watch faces...

——-

My Hermes watch shipped on Sunday - and the DPD tracking wasn’t showing anything - typically we see the pre-orders ship the night before (so my phone will ship tomorrow night with next day delivery) but it’s unusual for a product to ship 5 days early unless it is coming from China to the UK.

But then if it is you wouldn’t expect a DPD tracking number. So I called Apple who called DPD and confirmed they have the watch in the depot in Leicester. And the number will be live when it is sent tomorrow night. I’m still of the opinion it probably came from China direct to the depot rather than being posted on Sunday and sitting in the depot all week but who knows... at least I know it’s ready for me to get on Friday.

Reactions: Timmyj1982

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
The store stock shown will be different to the online inventory.

No idea about the time sorry, might be worth seeing if they’ve followed up on their tweet.. someone must have asked them

Could you list the thread or Twitter handle? They appear to have two accounts

hop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I'm going to order from them since they have the two-year warranty.

Just a little reminder that the sale of goods act which all retailers have to abide by, requires that "goods must last a reasonable amount of time", so JL's warranty might be explicit, but it's arguably more than 2 years in practice for all retailers with something like this. If you buy direct from Apple and politely invoke this in store, Geniuses actually tap "Customer asserted consumer rights" on their iPads ;).

morganperry

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2016
United Kingdom
In theory, John Lewis just offer you your Consumer Law rights, and market it as a ‘two year warranty’.

Consumer Law applies up to two years after the date of purchase with Apple, also.

However, most retailers aren’t so generous — many will insist you prove the fault occurred within 6 months, as the law states.

Reactions: victoriani

hop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Consumer Law applies up to two years after the date of purchase with Apple, also.

However, most retailers aren’t so generous — many will insist you prove the fault occurred within 6 months, as the law states.

It's actually now the Consumer Rights Act 2015 that covers it, though be clear, there's no 2 year thing laid out anywhere I've found, and the 6 month thing doesn't work quite like that, this is from Which:

If you discover the fault within the first six months of having the product, it is presumed to have been there since the time you took ownership of it - unless the retailer can prove otherwise. During this time, it's up to the retailer to prove that the fault wasn't there when you bought it - it's not up to you to prove that it was.

If a fault develops after the first six months, the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time you took ownership of it.

aeroalex

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
In theory, John Lewis just offer you your Consumer Law rights, and market it as a ‘two year warranty’.

It’s actually 6 years believe it or not https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Reactions: victoriani

morganperry

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2016
United Kingdom
It's actually now the Consumer Rights Act 2015 that covers it, though be clear, there's no 2 year thing laid out anywhere I've found, and the 6 month thing doesn't work quite like that, this is from Which:

Apple bases it’s out of warranty coverage within the EU on EU Consumer Law, although this could of course all change very soon!

Whilst in England you can exercise your rights up to 6 years after the date of purchase, outside of two years (with Apple, anyway), the burden of proof lies with the consumer, and this can often be hard to prove.

hop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008

Yeah, I think the EU sued/threatened to sue Apple for not making it clear enough, thus that super long page.
[doublepost=1537390556][/doublepost]
Apple bases it’s out of warranty coverage within the EU on EU Consumer Law.

To an extent, though if I remember my EU stuff correctly (this is a first year uni flashback), it's technically EU law that then gets translated into domestic law.

Reactions: aeroalex

aeroalex

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
Yeah, I think the EU sued/threatened to sue Apple for not making it clear enough, thus that super long page.

Ha, well at least it’s clear now!

Apple don’t even fight against it really, recently had to take my MacBook Pro back to Apple as the screen and the lamination was coming apart and three years after I purchased it they replaced the entire screen! Pretty great service really

Reactions: morganperry

morganperry

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2016
United Kingdom
To an extent, though if I remember my EU stuff correctly (this is a first year uni flashback), it's technically EU law that then gets translated into domestic law.

Certainly, to an extent, yes. But laws around Consumer Rights are different since they apply anywhere within the European Union. Buy an iPhone from Apple in Spain, and you’ll be able to exercise the same rights in the UK... although for how much longer ;)

anem0ne

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2013
Uk
Been in the 'preparing for dispatch' since Saturday and still no movement - was hoping for a cheeky day before release delivery and I'm working Friday :( Anyone else had no movement? (40mm Aluminium cellular)

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Been in the 'preparing for dispatch' since Saturday and still no movement - was hoping for a cheeky day before release delivery and I'm working Friday :( Anyone else had no movement? (40mm Aluminium cellular)
Everyone with a date of 21st in the same boat with the exception of Hermès orders who moved to dispatched with no further updates a number of days ago. Prepare for a deluge of ‘dispatched’ posts tomorrow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.