Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
If you honestly never go out without your phone then yeah LTE is pointless. I go out regularly for walks and like to leave my phone at home so I’m not constantly on the internet, still being able to receive notifications and calls is very worthwhile for me.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I've had a nightmare. I pre-ordered through Apple on launch day as soon as the website went live. Got a delivery for 1-8 October. Checked John Lewis today, and they had SG Cellular in stock, so cancelled my Apple order and bought the new one for pickup tomorrow. Just logged into John Lewis and order has been cancelled now as they are out of stock. :(
Next time, just reject it when the delivery turns up; you will get your money back. You can do this with Amazon, too, btw.

Reactions: hoochy

Daveiggy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
UK
Yea thats why I waited til the watch was on my wrist before I cancelled my apple order

Yup just picked up my 44 SS from a local Waitrose

Bexx

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
UK
Problem is my account closes on Wednesday because I’ve changed banks. That’s why I wanted it all done and dusted before then.

Ah, that complicates things. I'd suggest ringing your bank and asking for advice, unless you'd prefer to keep quiet in case it doesn't get taken again. Or you could try asking anonymously. At the end of the day, it's their cock-up if they accidentally cancelled the transaction, so you can't be blamed for not having funds if the account is closed. Make sure you keep any screenshots of the pending/cancelled purchase so you can show them if needed.

MagicTorch

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
UK
I've had a nightmare. I pre-ordered through Apple on launch day as soon as the website went live. Got a delivery for 1-8 October. Checked John Lewis today, and they had SG Cellular in stock, so cancelled my Apple order and bought the new one for pickup tomorrow. Just logged into John Lewis and order has been cancelled now as they are out of stock. :(

Gutted for you. I can understand why you cancelled the Apple order, as John Lewis are usually spot on & if they took an order from you, claiming to have stock, I don’t think you would have any reason to doubt them (John Lewis pride themselves on getting the customer experience spot on, it is not like they are Argos!).

Good luck on getting the Watch that you want sooner than later & look on the bright side, you get to hang out with us guys on the pre-order thread a bit longer!

Last edited:
Reactions: leebroath

james948

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2004
UKmail update. they messaged me earlier today to tell me apple phones and watches that weren't delivered yesterday would be delivered today. I replied saying I found that extraordinarily unlikely given that it was 2pm already and that nothing on the websites told me that it had left the warehouse. Sigh.

MadAngelUK

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
Thanks to the people that commented on my question (problems moving a Cellular plan from series 3to series 4), I was really hoping I wouldn't have to call 150 (EE) as I hate call centres LOL, but I did, I had to, and after 45 minutes on the phone to a lovely girl who took me through several steps, I shall have to wait 24 hours to see if the steps we took allow me to pair my watch to my existing watch contract. Wasn't too traumatic if anyone else is put off by having to call them, I had my looooong EID number ready, she was mostly running off to a tech person and popping me on hold, and a significant amount of time was spent unpairing and re-pairing the watch.
(I was her first call with this problem, she took yesterday off deliberately LOL)

...Fingers crossed all goes well in 24 hours!

groovyf

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Halifax, UK
I think what is meant here is that they will exchange a complete watch unit (including band) for another...... but not just the strap.

My dad had ordered a SG sport strap for collection yesterday but on arrival was able to swap instead for one with a sport loop. They refunded original purchase to a gift card and then just used against the new one.
Yeah, I can confirm that too. The Apple person spotted I already had a white strap (on the S0 I was trading-in - face only), and I said I realised I’d made a mistake in hindsight and should’ve gone for the Seashell sport loop. She said I could get my S4 order swapped if there was one in stock (which there wasn’t unfortunately). I’d have been refunded on my pre-order with a voucher and use that for the other one.

MadAngelUK

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
I’m 22 hours in and no dice yet... :(

Fingers crossed for you! I was being nice and said I'd try again after 24 hours and again on Monday if it didn't work before calling - I was being nice, in that I wouldn't be calling back bang on 24 hours... but she said if its not working IN 24 hours its definitely gone wrong, so do call back as soon as the 24 hours is up i.e. for me about 17:30 tomorrow.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Fingers crossed for you! I was being nice and said I'd try again after 24 hours and again on Monday if it didn't work before calling - I was being nice, in that I wouldn't be calling back bang on 24 hours... but she said if its not working IN 24 hours its definitely gone wrong, so do call back as soon as the 24 hours is up i.e. for me about 17:30 tomorrow.
Thanks, i’m planning to call in a little while or maybe tomorrow morning. It’s a long number, I’m assuming finger trouble or maybe I was seeing double when I read it out.

UPDATE: After posting I looked at the details in the Watch app under General and the EID was listed as “un known” (Sic). This was clearly a bad thing! I unpaired and repaired and Bam! Data working.

The original pairing process was disrupted by needing to phone EE and that might have been the cause of this.

My tip, if data isn’t working for you check that your device EID is showing up correctly in the Watch app or it will never work irrespective of what your network do.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadAngelUK

MadAngelUK

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
Thanks, i’m planning to call in a little while or maybe tomorrow morning. It’s a long number, I’m assuming finger trouble or maybe I was seeing double when I read it out.

UPDATE: After posting I looked at the details in the Watch app under General and the EID was listed as “un known” (Sic). This was clearly a bad thing! I unpaired and repaired and Bam! Data working.

The original pairing process was disrupted by needing to phone EE and that might have been the cause of this.

My tip, if data isn’t working for you check that your device EID is showing up correctly in the Watch app or it will never work irrespective of what your network do.

Great news! and thanks! I'll keep an eye out for all that - I'm going to have a go tomorrow morning though, hopefully I'll be able to update here positively like you!

Reactions: danmart

rossy100

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2011
Very pleased with my SSSB 44 series 4. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade from the S3.

Only thing I wish it did was allow a Messages complication on the infograph face. Seems odd that you can’t. Anyway - hopefully in a future update!

Reactions: CamiMR

QFzzz

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2018
If anyone in Edinburgh is looking to pick one up tomorrow - I am collecting x2 from John Lewis / Waitrose - I accidentally ordered x2 44mm Space Grey Cellular Sport Bank - annoyingly I need to collect both before I can return one.

If anyone wants to take it off my hands at cost am more than happy help (will obv give you receipts etc).

Seems a shame to send it back into John Lewis if people are looking for them.

(apologies if this breaks some forum rule that ive note read, just trying to help out those in need!)

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Loving my SS 44mm my buddy picked up for me. Screen is massive. Only problem is I can’t activate mobile data on it, keeps coming up cannot connect to server

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I had the same issue, EE state nothing on their website about needing to be on 4G to set up a data plan.

I thought I just had to wait for things to sort themselves out. Been a bit busy here.... 8 Plus to XS Max, S2 to S4 SS, 2x O2 SIMs migrated to EE. But glad I got it sorted

hannahjayne

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
So I had a impromptu upgrade from series 0 to 4 yesterday and wobbling a bit (still not unwrapped). At the Arndale they wouldn’t let me swap for another full unit without refunding and repurchasing which I didn’t want to do. Main wobble is around size - I wanted a 42mm but the 44mm seems so big and of course the 40mms are out of stock everywhere.

Has anyone seen third party sports bands around yet in 44mm? I’ve had a good look on amazon but struggling a bit. Found loads of the Nike style but not the plain ones.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Has anyone seen third party sports bands around yet in 44mm? I’ve had a good look on amazon but struggling a bit. Found loads of the Nike style but not the plain ones.
Any band for a 42mm will fit the 44, they are the same fitting.

hannahjayne

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
Any band for a 42mm will fit the 44, they are the same fitting.
Thank you!! I’d just realised that and felt like a complete idiot. That’s what I get for spontaneous purchases without doing my research properly!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.