Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you have hissing problem with your new iPhone 7

• Yes

Votes: 77 64.2%
  • No

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters

AA-Ron-Rosen

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2015
I can't shoot a 4K video or any video in a quiet room without hearing the hissing noise during playback.

And that's good how?

I LOVE my jet black 256gb 7+ .... but c'mon, I've owned every iPhone since the original in 2007 and have never heard of hissing or anything like I do on this phone.

It's a problem. Period.
I forgot about that. THe camera is right next to the mic. I think the reason that it wasn't as discussed was because it was much quieter on previous iPhones. The A10 might need more power so it would make sense if you are hearing it for the first time.
[doublepost=1474400809][/doublepost]
I have a theory for why paragraphs are useful.
Thanks for the very subtle suggestion. I will fix that.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Again hiss when placing the back of the phone near my ear under no load.

I have both JB and Matte Pluses' and they both do it.

My 6s plus is completely silent. Back to Apple it is!

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Just got mine and heard the hiss as soon as I powered it on. I'm gonna give it a few days before deciding what to do.

Reactions: 3349793

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Mine hisses, sometimes, sometimes it is silent. First I went "ohhhh, ****", then i tried my iPhone6 and it does it too, never noticed.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
All threads with 'gate' in them should be closed immediately. This board is not high school.
Every time I think I've seen it all......up pops another thread that has me hysterical on the floor.

Ever notice how ever since the iPhone 7 / 7+ came out the moon has gotten smaller each night. Could Apple be behind this?........no wait, never mind it does that every lunar cycle......my bad. :rolleyes:

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
I hear a hiss when I put the back of my phone right next to my face, but I'm not going to complain about it. Plenty of electronic devices make noises and I couldn't care less if my phone does from that angle. I'm not going to sleep on top of it so that my ear is on its back constantly; and if you do, or if it's a problem to you that you COULD hear it if you wanted to, then it's not the phone that needs to be replaced.

Also, listening to the iPhone's noises tells me that it's damn busy with whatever it's doing. So I appreciate the processing power it uses to complete my requests.

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
You can hear the hiss whenever I record video.

Edit: I think mine is just the mic picking up ambient noise. The hiss has a different sound to it.

Last edited:

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
So far 90% of hiss yes are 7+ users and around 30% of all users who participated. This is higher than a similar poll I did for bend gate 2 years ago

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Trust me it's there if you run some heavy tasking e.g. Restoring from a backup you can hear it
He doesn't hear it. Why is it so important to rain on his parade. He is happy, why search for an issue? Go to a quiet room, put on a stethoscope and crank the phone processor up to maximum such that phone gets hot......now do you hear it? Total idiocy.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Two copies of the iP7 here. One is silent. The other has some pops and clicks under very heavy load, but you can't hear them unless the phone is pressed to your ear in a quiet room.

Most of the hiss that people report and make YT videos of is just ordinary mic hiss and has nothing to do with IC noise.

[doublepost=1474417298][/doublepost]
Trust me it's there if you run some heavy tasking e.g. Restoring from a backup you can hear it

You mean that you can hear it on your phone. Don't try to tell him "it's there." I have two iP7 phones. One is actually silent. The other makes a little noise, but so little it's actually inconsequential in real life.

Reactions: metsjetsfan

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Two copies of the iP7 here. One is silent. The other has some pops and clicks under very heavy load, but you can't hear them unless the phone is pressed to your ear in a quiet room.

Most of the hiss that people report and make YT videos of is just ordinary mic hiss and has nothing to do with IC noise.

[doublepost=1474417298][/doublepost]

You mean that you can hear it on your phone. Don't try to tell him "it's there." I have two iP7 phones. One is actually silent. The other makes a little noise, but so little it's actually inconsequential in real life.
Thats what i think. And its louder bc the mic is better here that 6, 6S. Does yours get super hot tho? In the past this was the case for a week or two with new phones

StarHunter

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Everyone that answers this poll should be testing by recording a video and then playing it back on their phone with max volume, I hear virtually nothing when just holding the phone next to my ear but the hissing in the recording is fairly loud compared to my 6S Plus that is virtually silent.

Tec972

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
Have it on my 7+, and it makes the sound anytime the screen is on, even with no other load on processor or anything else going on with the phone. Just the screen on is enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.