Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you have hissing problem with your new iPhone 7

• Yes

Votes: 77 64.2%
  • No

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
My iPhone 7 Plus was delivered today.

Just upgraded to iOS 10.0.1. In doing so, the back of the phone got very hot and I got the hissing sound recently reported over the processor.

Is this a defect or a quirk of the A10 Fusion?

Has anyone contacted Apple or replaced their iPhone 7 Plus because of it?
No, it shouldn't work like this. Return this piece of defective phone. Get a replacement. There are a lot of documented cases of this with iPhone 7. If you want to take audio recordings or video without the hissing noises in the background, you'll want to replace your device.

Reactions: matjamca

reyalP

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
Mine definitely has a hissing clicking sound. I can hear it even at 12 inches from my head. Normally, this wouldn't normally bother me, but the problem I am having is the static clicking sound is picked up in the videos I record with the phone. I have an appointment to try and get it swapped out for another device.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
100 Votes are in (99 to be exact)

But ~64% of iPhone's do not have a hiss, that is actually a very low number.
28% of iPhone 7+ have a hiss, that is a very high number.

Seems to me the problem is related to the 7+ mostly

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Hear a slight hiss under heavy load when I place my ear next to the Apple logo. Not a big deal to me though. I'll never have my ear there typically and you can barely hear it. I have read that it will decrease over time anyway. If it becomes an issue, I'll exchange.

matjamca

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2013
St Helens, Merseyside, England
I emailed Phil Schiller this morning about the issue. I've just had an email reply from Executive Relations EMEIA.

They want to talk to me about the issue. I'm going to call them tomorrow.

I'll update you with what happens next.

bb4srv

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2013
There's a slight hiss and ticks when I open any games. It can be heard only when I placed my ear next to Apple logo too. The hiss/ticks seems to be louder when it is plugged into charger. I have applecare+ and will exchange if necessary in the future.

Reactions: RogerEast

RogerEast

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
I hear it under heavy tasks.

Not fussed though. Don't think it's a fault. And if it's that much of a problem the phone will get swapped.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Got mine now, and while I can't hear any noise from the phone itself, a constant whine is captured in any video I shoot with it, clearly audible with the volume up to any significant level. :-/

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I don't know and don't care if it has a hiss.

As long as it doesn't show up in normal use, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter. If it were audible during a call or on video, that would be different.

I've said this before, but I think most of the "hiss" that people hear is *not* the ICs. The iP7 may or may not have a mic design (including the case/housing) that doesn't give as clean audio as earlier models, I don't know and I haven't tested that on the phones we've got around. But if that's true, it's not the same thing as noisy chipsets.

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
Got mine now, and while I can't hear any noise from the phone itself, a constant whine is captured in any video I shoot with it, clearly audible with the volume up to any significant level. :-/
Are you planning on exchanging the phone? I have a constant clicking/whine noise as well and am debating.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
Wow now 40% of the users are reporting their phones as hissing . This is a mass product defect now it seems. Cnn is reporting it now it's hit mainstream

GusHerb

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2013
Chicago / Northwest, IN
I heard it while I was restoring. I had to put my ear against the phone to even hear it. Unless it's much louder for other people then I think this is vastly blown out of proportion.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
The real problem of hissing issue is that the noise gets into the microphone when record video.
Yup this is my exact experience. And it's bad. i posted a video in the other hiss thread. It's not complaining it's a real noticeable and deal breaking issue if you take video

pish6969

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
No hiss here. Verizon iPhone 7. Only issue I'm having like many reporting is the LtE going to 3G to 1x to no service.

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Everyone that answers this poll should be testing by recording a video and then playing it back on their phone with max volume, I hear virtually nothing when just holding the phone next to my ear but the hissing in the recording is fairly loud compared to my 6S Plus that is virtually silent.
Does playing back my own Snapchat count??

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I just recorded a video and my phone does hiss. I hadn't noticed it before. However I did the same with my 6S and it has the same hiss.

Maverick2k

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
Yep, my iPhone 7 Plus 128GB Black is hissing, whirring and even clicking... booked an appointment for Saturday, **** my life.

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
held my 7+ a foot away from my 6, pressed record with both at same time to record an empty "quiet" room for 10 seconds.

Guess what?
they sounded the same. Both are picking up the ambient white noise.
I've been in the sound lab at GE... you want to talk about silence? If you think you are in a quiet noise free room guess again.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
dude, join the other 5 million poll threads already out there.....same breakdown too, smh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.