Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you have hissing problem with your new iPhone 7

• Yes

Votes: 77 64.2%
  • No

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters

Nati-Yolie

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
Even if that's the case, the camera shouldn't be picking up all that sound when recording.
Right. This is why it's a problem. I don't care that it hisses when being used because I'm not going to hold my ear up to the back of the phone while using it. But all of the videos I've taken with it so far are worthless. Especially the slow-mo ones.
[doublepost=1474759518][/doublepost]
iPhone 7+ 256....no snake in my phone.
Are you sure? Have you taken a slo-mo vid in a quiet environment and then play it back with volume up a bit?

Nati-Yolie

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
To everyone who is saying they don't hear it on theirs, try recording a 4k or slo-mo video in a quiet environment. While playing it back, turn it up a bit. All of my videos are ruined with hiss.

XxAnonymousxX

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
So I just did a test. Did a slow mo video and heard NO static at all. Now I'm wondering if this maybe an issue with the actual camera and maybe fixed with a firmware update.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
So I just did a test. Did a slow mo video and heard NO static at all. Now I'm wondering if this maybe an issue with the actual camera and maybe fixed with a firmware update.

Well not only is the iPhone 7 new but so is ios10. I would not be surprised if there are more bugs that need fixing.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Hi, for those of you who had "hissing" problems, did you replace your phone? If so, do Apple Stores have warranty replacements set aside? Or do you have to just exchange a phone under buyer's remorse? I got my phone under IUP. I don't want to get a refurb nor do I want to be phone less. Thanks for the info.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Refurbs will be new phones as they haven't had enough time to turn around the old ones yet. Just go swap it out and be done with it.

cipher29

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
Mine hisses ... Can't be bothered to go through the process of replacing the phone only to have the same issue with the replacement..

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I noticed the hissing last night when I was doing a full restore for my 7+ initial setup -- but I haven't heard it since. I need to test with video -- if it shows up on video, that'd be the only reason I'd look into a replacement at some point. It doesn't bother me if I'm gaming and have headphones on anyway.

caelius

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2015
Innsbruck, Austria
I just noticed that my iP7 is hissing, too. :eek: Never noticed it before because it's very subtle and also not permanent, but still, some hiss can be heard. Don't know yet if I should or shouldn't mind as it's not really audible at all under normal circumstances...

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
no hissing, both video recording, and geek bench testing. 128 7+ JB, F2 (Foxconn)

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010

Honestly it's not just the white noise, you can actually hear various ticks (not the best way to describe the sound) but it only happens under heavy load. Though isn't recording 4K continuously heavy load? I'll go the Apple Store try out all the 7/7+ on display to see if all of them does it. If some don't, I'm getting mine swapped.

Dormammu

macrumors 65816
I was talking to my wife today using my iPhone 7 and lightning earpods. She mentioned there was a very subtle hissing/mild static noise in the background. She had me on speakerphone turned all the way up (or close to it). I unplugged my lightning earpods, and talked into the phone like normal and she said the subtle background noise went away. I plugged the earpods back in, and the noise came back. Repeated three times with the same results.

I have confirmed that when I talk to someone on the phone with my iPhone 7 that there is no hissing noise on the other end of the line.

Is anyone else having this issue with their earpods? Is it worth going into an Apple store and asking for a replacement?

faded03cobra

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
Mine do it as well. Mine start making a static noise then nobody can hear me talk, but I can hear them. Music works fine, no static. Going to take it to apple and see what's going on.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2009
my iphone 7 plus makes a faint electronic chirping noise akin to the chirping of a cricket when its charging. it comes and it goes. and its faint but its audible nonetheless. has anyone else experienced this?

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2014
My iPhone 7 Black has the "hissing" issue as well. You can hear it when holding the phone to your ear, but I have heat to hear it coming from the phone without holding it up to my ear.

Normally, I'd be fine with this, as it's not too noticable. However, I can hear a distinct static or buzzing sound that gets recorded in videos that aren't in loud environments. Interestingly, I can't hear the buzzing in the videos if I record with EarPods plugged in. Furthermore, the sound becomes much louder if I put my hand to cover the back camera and mic next to it. This leads me to believe that the mic is picking up the sound. See the videos below so you can get an idea what I'm talking about.

(With back camera and mic uncovered)
(With back camera and mic covered)

It would be good if anyone with the same issue or without the issue could comment. Because if everyone has this problem with video in a silent area, then I guess they'll have to recall the phones?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.