Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you have hissing problem with your new iPhone 7

• Yes

Votes: 77 64.2%
  • No

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
Given the number of reports here, I don't think so. I returned mine and will wait until there's a change in the product.

I returned my Black 256 iPhone 7 Plus and will reorder later. My speculation is that the widespread issues that are being reported here stem from various pressures including: launching earlier than last year; increasing production to meet unexpected demand; and reducing costs related to component suppliers. Apple is still launching in other countries while trying to meet demand in the U.S. --seemingly at the expense of quality. Perhaps by reordering in a week or two I will have a better chance of getting a good device.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
I received my phone a few days ago, but finally set it up yesterday and unfortunately I have this hissing/buzzing noise as well and it's pretty darn loud too. Whereas I put my ear up to my 6s plus and heard nothing.

I called Apple to set up a return. I'll just rebuy whenever this issue is hopefully resolved.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I returned my Black 256 iPhone 7 Plus and will reorder later. My speculation is that the widespread issues that are being reported here stem from various pressures including: launching earlier than last year; increasing production to meet unexpected demand; and reducing costs related to component suppliers. Apple is still launching in other countries while trying to meet demand in the U.S. --seemingly at the expense of quality. Perhaps by reordering in a week or two I will have a better chance of getting a good device.

I wonder if they need to reexamine the yearly update model. Every year there are issues. This year the reported yield on the Jet Black housings is only 60-70%. That's unsustainable financially and also in terms of customer satisfaction. I predict we will not see JB iPhones again.

Ferd1nandoo

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2015
Denver
Hello everyone

I finally got my iPhone 7 plus on Thursday. While I love it the phone seems to be affected by hiss gate. I shoot a lot of video and the hissing can be heard in the recordings. I have included a few videos to get others opinions of how bad it is. Give the videos a listen (with headphones is better) and let me know what you think. I am considering taking the phone back because to me it seems pretty loud. It sounds like a digital kind of white noise....pretty awful to my ears.

mine has that sound too i contacted apple support and they said they're investigating, but they only have a few reports so i think i will wait before i go to a replacement o_O

RCRod83

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
Mine hisses when under heavy load. I'm not going to exchange it at this time. I did report it to Apple who stated that they do not believe the hissing noise can cause any health issues or cause the phone not to function properly. So I'll just keep it and see how it goes. Besides, I'd rather wait a few batches before exchanging it, otherwise the next one might hiss too.

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
Mine hisses when under heavy load. I'm not going to exchange it at this time. I did report it to Apple who stated that they do not believe the hissing noise can cause any health issues or cause the phone not to function properly. So I'll just keep it and see how it goes. Besides, I'd rather wait a few batches before exchanging it, otherwise the next one might hiss too.

If they say now that "they do not believe the hissing noise can cause any health issues or cause the phone not to function properly," do you believe that someone will authorize an exchange later?

Reactions: macfacts

RCRod83

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
If they say now that "they do not believe the hissing noise can cause any health issues or cause the phone not to function properly," do you believe that someone will authorize an exchange later?

I have AppleCare so I know I'm protected.

Gzalito

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
The hiss is not an issue valid for replacement by itself, but when it interferes with video filming introducing white noise, then its simply unacceptable and every phone should be replaced.

snsking

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2013
The hiss is not an issue valid for replacement by itself, but when it interferes with video filming introducing white noise, then its simply unacceptable and every phone should be replaced.
This is what mine suffers from. Waiting to hear from apple tomorrow

Reactions: Gzalito

sleim031

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2016
London UK | Zagreb CRO
Same, I don't mind the processor hiss but the video recording buzz is ridiculous. There's no way to mask that white noise

I had that too, so held my 6s+ in my left and 7+ in my right hand, recording simultaneously in the same room...

The white noise is much more prominent on the 7+ contrary to the 6s+; its not that serious though, I could live with it possibly but I won't since I paid £819 for this phone lol

Got an appointment with a Genius on Tuesday because of that

Gzalito

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
You can tell that you use for phone for professional recording and can't live with that, if apple is serious they should exchange your phone for a perfect one. If they don't have a perfect one.. well.. now they re Samsung.

sleim031

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2016
London UK | Zagreb CRO
Ok went to my Genius appointment today and showed him recordings that were taken in the same room with 6s+ and 7+.

He said yeah you can defo hear the background noise, took the phone in the back where its quiet to test it - confirmed it again, went downstairs to test one of the show 7+, covered the camera mic and recorded and still heard the noise even though the camera mic was covered.

He said that its most likely software and that an upcoming iOS update should take care of it but if it doesn't I'll get a replacement as its under my limited warranty.

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
I could hear the hissing WHILE ON THE PHONE with Apple rep... I am exchanging today... Hopefully the new one will hiss-free... Updates to follow. Black Iphone 7 Plus 128GB.

Of note, Wife's 7 and my 6S plus are both PERFECT.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I'm pretty sure they all suffer from it. Anyone who tells you otherwise either doesn't notice it or doesn't care.
This is absolutely incorrect. The first 7 Plus I had definitely had the hissing, but the replacement I got has absolutely ZERO hissing regardless of which app is running on the phone.

steve gee

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2016
The hissing is unacceptable. I returned 2 7 pluses for call quality issues (folks said i sounded underwater) This one has the hissing problem. The hiss is very apparent on videos.

This is unacceptable.

For a phone that costs about 900 dollars hissing eff'd up crap videos is ridiculous. Does this company do QC? Whatsoever? Or just marketing?

I am returning the phone and once they acknowledge/fix the issue then I will consider purchasing a new one.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
The hissing is unacceptable. I returned 2 7 pluses for call quality issues (folks said i sounded underwater) This one has the hissing problem. The hiss is very apparent on videos.

This is unacceptable.

For a phone that costs about 900 dollars hissing eff'd up crap videos is ridiculous. Does this company do QC? Whatsoever? Or just marketing?

I am returning the phone and once they acknowledge/fix the issue then I will consider purchasing a new one.

No way Apple will acknowledge it. They will do exchanges on a case by case basis.

If they acknowledge it, everyone will want a exchange. That is a lot of lost money

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.