Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I need to really put some time in the archive, I know people have been dying for a Tiger selection, and then a Panther selection so I might end up just designing a completely new website. Something other than weebly because over the years they just make it worse and worse, I liked using it in 2013, but not now!
Great to hear! If you make a new site with Tiger and Panther sections it will be my #1 PPC software source. The reason I don't use it now is because my only PPC is my iMac G4 with Tiger.

Reactions: z970

G4fanboy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Andalucia Spain
uControl
http://gnufoo.org/ucontrol/

uControl is a keyboard remapper and more. Meaning, those useless keys can now be reused, remapped, or reduced. Unix hackers will be pleased to remap the caps lock key to the control key. Indeed, that was the reason uControl was originally created; however, it has since evolved into a fairly sophisticated means of not only remapping modifier keys, but providing a virtual scroll wheel for track pad users, providing real function keys for laptop users, swapping the right and left mouse button for left handed users, and even providing a one handed typing feature for those with disabilities.

http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Added in links for all the software in top apps. But from now on, remember that you can edit the post yourself... it'll make it much easier for everyone if you edit the app into the post as soon as you share it. ;)

Reactions: pochopsp and z970

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Mac-On-Mac - PowerPC Virtualization - PANTHER EXCLUSIVE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac-on-Mac
https://sourceforge.net/projects/maconmac/

mac-on-mac.png

Mac-On-Mac allows full-speed virtualization on Mac OS X 10.3 Panther and supports booting multiple virtual machines with support for 10.0 - 10.3.x, Mac OS 9, OpenDarwin and Linux/PPC.

This will only run on Panther and is not compatible with Tiger or Leopard.

Mac-On-Mac-On-Panther-With-Puma-And-MacOS9.jpg

Tested installing and running Mac OS X 10.1.4 (Puma retail CD set) and Mac OS 9.2.2 (MacOS9Lives Universal ISO) each with 256MB RAM assigned to them on a PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz (5,6) with 2GB RAM and a 60GB OWC Legacy SSD. Both run perfect at the same time on this Mac. Performance appears to be full speed with only some minor visual flickering and tearing. This is pre-"Core Image" and display via an old version of X11, so I guess it is to be expected.

Boot times were:
Mac OS 9.2.2 - 23 seconds from clicking Boot to the Launcher popping up.
Mac OS X 10.1.4 - 24 seconds from clicking Boot to the Dock and menu clock appearing.

For reference, on this PowerBook, boot trials today were:
• Panther 10.3.9 - 49 seconds
• Tiger 10.4.11 - 46 seconds
• Leopard 10.5.8 - 48 seconds
(from pressing the power button, to finishing loading of the Dock and menu clock).

Notes / Known Issues:
1. Networking and Audio don't work. I'll try digging into the config some more.
2. Requires X11 to be installed on Panther (it's in the Optional Installs folder on Panther Disc 2).
3. Set PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin and DISPLAY=:0.0 in ~/.bashrc, otherwise X11 won't do much.
4. I couldn't get Debian 8 Jessie (PPC) to boot off the iso or from a pre-installed qemu-ppc image. The screenshots on the SourceForge page show Debian with Kernel 2.4.7 (3.0 Woody?). I'll keep playing around with it.

Another very cool reason to run Panther!

-AphoticD

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Mac-On-Mac - PowerPC Virtualization - PANTHER EXCLUSIVE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac-on-Mac
https://sourceforge.net/projects/maconmac/

View attachment 709281

Mac-On-Mac allows full-speed virtualization on Mac OS X 10.3 Panther and supports booting multiple virtual machines with support for 10.0 - 10.3.x, Mac OS 9, OpenDarwin and Linux/PPC.

This will only run on Panther and is not compatible with Tiger or Leopard.

View attachment 709282

Tested installing and running Mac OS X 10.1.4 (Puma retail CD set) and Mac OS 9.2.2 (MacOS9Lives Universal ISO) each with 256MB RAM assigned to them on a PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz (5,6) with 2GB RAM and a 60GB OWC Legacy SSD. Both run perfect at the same time on this Mac. Performance appears to be full speed with only some minor visual flickering and tearing. This is pre-"Core Image" and display via an old version of X11, so I guess it is to be expected.

Boot times were:
Mac OS 9.2.2 - 23 seconds from clicking Boot to the Launcher popping up.
Mac OS X 10.1.4 - 24 seconds from clicking Boot to the Dock and menu clock appearing.

For reference, on this PowerBook, boot trials today were:
• Panther 10.3.9 - 49 seconds
• Tiger 10.4.11 - 46 seconds
• Leopard 10.5.8 - 48 seconds
(from pressing the power button, to finishing loading of the Dock and menu clock).

Notes / Known Issues:
1. Networking and Audio don't work. I'll try digging into the config some more.
2. Requires X11 to be installed on Panther (it's in the Optional Installs folder on Panther Disc 2).
3. Set PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin and DISPLAY=:0.0 in ~/.bashrc, otherwise X11 won't do much.
4. I couldn't get Debian 8 Jessie (PPC) to boot off the iso or from a pre-installed qemu-ppc image. The screenshots on the SourceForge page show Debian with Kernel 2.4.7 (3.0 Woody?). I'll keep playing around with it.

Another very cool reason to run Panther!

-AphoticD

Is it supposed to open in Leopard?

Because I've got success on that front.

-

Nevermind, the OS never actually launches.

I guess that's what it's supposed to do on this OS when it "doesn't work". My bad.

Well, at least I saved countless people from going to the trouble of actually testing it for themselves.

Last edited:

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Is it supposed to open in Leopard?

Because I've got success on that front.

-

Nevermind, the OS never actually launches.

I guess that's what it's supposed to do on this OS when it "doesn't work". My bad.

Well, at least I saved countless people from going to the trouble of actually testing it for themselves.

I tried the same on Tiger and it refuses to run. It loads a Kext which is only compatible with Panther. The source code is there, so maybe it's just a matter of recompiling the kexts? But, I highly doubt it.

Your 970MP won't boot Panther either. Tiger 10.4.2 was the earliest option.

On the Dual-Core (and Quad) G5s, your best bet for virtualization is either QEMU KVM (ppc64) or Mac-On-Linux / MOL KVM on a current Linux distro (Lubuntu and MATE are solid on the G5s). I have Debian 8 and Fedora 25 Server running at incredible speeds via QEMU/KVM on a Dual Core 2.3Ghz 970MP with 16GB of RAM under Ubuntu MATE 16.04.2. They both run headless as production / testing web servers on the G5 (11,2). I can easily access the VMs via SSH or virsh (or cockpit on Fedora, which is a really nice web interface).

The trick I found with getting a massive speed boost out of running Linux VMs on G5 hardware is to bypass the typical mac99 (G4) option and run the VMs as PReP (PowerPC Reference Platform) 64-bit, this allows SMP / multi-processor support. Maximum memory I can assign to each VM is 1792MB (a limitation of the ppc64 user-space I guess)

Unfortunately, with QEMU KVM, Mac OS X guests are limited to 1 CPU and run much, much slower. But compatibility and stability are both good. You can effectively run Leopard in this environment, but it's less of a run and more of a saunter or an amble...

MOL KVM will run Panther and Tiger surprisingly fast, but Leopard or Mac OS 9 won't boot.

As a test, I tried getting MOL KVM up and running on a PBG4 under MATE. It was slow, tedious and crash happy. Requiring KVM to be re-compiled as a kernel module and recompiling the kernel to disable SMP on the 74xx's.

I am surprised at how much quicker (and lighter) the Panther Mac-On-Mac virtualization is compared to the Linux based options. They were onto something good here. It's a shame development stopped 12 years ago!

Last edited:

philgxxd

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2017
Malaga, Spain
Thanks a lot AphoticD for the hint and the great documentation.
I actually have installed Panther on a PB 1.5Ghz so I'm interested in how performs OS9 on this compared to the apple classic emulation though networking and sound don't work.

Reactions: G4fanboy

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I tried the same on Tiger and it refuses to run. It loads a Kext which is only compatible with Panther. The source code is there, so maybe it's just a matter of recompiling the kexts? But, I highly doubt it.

Your 970MP won't boot Panther either. Tiger 10.4.2 was the earliest option.

On the Dual-Core (and Quad) G5s, your best bet for virtualization is either QEMU KVM (ppc64) or Mac-On-Linux / MOL KVM on a current Linux distro (Lubuntu and MATE are solid on the G5s). I have Debian 8 and Fedora 25 Server running at incredible speeds via QEMU/KVM on a Dual Core 2.3Ghz 970MP with 16GB of RAM under Ubuntu MATE 16.04.2. They both run headless as production / testing web servers on the G5 (11,2). I can easily access the VMs via SSH or virsh (or cockpit on Fedora, which is a really nice web interface).

The trick I found with getting a massive speed boost out of running Linux VMs on G5 hardware is to bypass the typical mac99 (G4) option and run the VMs as PReP (PowerPC Reference Platform) 64-bit, this allows SMP / multi-processor support. Maximum memory I can assign to each VM is 1792MB (a limitation of the ppc64 user-space I guess)

Unfortunately, with QEMU KVM, Mac OS X guests are limited to 1 CPU and run much, much slower. But compatibility and stability are both good. You can effectively run Leopard in this environment, but it's less of a run and more of a saunter or an amble...

MOL KVM will run Panther and Tiger surprisingly fast, but Leopard or Mac OS 9 won't boot.

As a test, I tried getting MOL KVM up and running on a PBG4 under MATE. It was slow, tedious and crash happy. Requiring KVM to be re-compiled as a kernel module and recompiling the kernel to disable SMP on the 74xx's.

I am surprised at how much quicker (and lighter) the Panther Mac-On-Mac virtualization is compared to the Linux based options. They were onto something good here. It's a shame development stopped 12 years ago!

How did you know I had a 970mp? You clever thing you. ;)

How about Q? Will Q run OK on G5s? It's on the PPCAppStore.

This is another reason why I'm still going to try Linux on this sucker, it's got mountains of compatibility with lots of stuff.

-

I just realized I gave the machine away in my username and signature.

Oh.

Reactions: AmazingHenry

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Thanks a lot AphoticD for the hint and the great documentation.
I actually have installed Panther on a PB 1.5Ghz so I'm interested in how performs OS9 on this compared to the apple classic emulation though networking and sound don't work.

No problem. I've tried installing the tuntaposx driver (for Panther) to get networking going, but even though the driver loads the TUN interface, Mac-On-Mac can't seem to find it. Reading through the original Mac-On-Mac website (via archive.org), states that sound, networking and USB were not working in the alpha version.

There is source code for a CoreAudio driver filed at the sourceforge page, so maybe audio was closer than the other features. I'll keep playing around with it anyway.
[doublepost=1500567132][/doublepost]
How did you know I had a 970mp? You clever thing you. ;)

Just a hunch...

How about Q? Will Q run OK on G5s? It's on the PPCAppStore.

The old build of Q on the PPCAppStore is ancient and painfully slow. If you do want to run Qemu on Mac OS X (which Q was based on), you can build and install version 2.4.0 via MacPorts or Tigerbrew. (Both package management systems are Tiger and Leopard compatible)

I had better luck getting the MacPorts version of QEMU to build. But it took me a while to track down the older version's Portfile (see attached zip for your convenience).

Install MacPorts, download and unzip the qemu-2.4.0-Portfile.zip directly in your home directory (not in Desktop or Downloads), then fire up Terminal and cd ~/qemu && sudo port install

There's a good Qemu for OSX guide over at emaculation.com. The guide assumes you're going to run OS9 as a guest and it's written from the perspective of running on an Intel macOS Sierra host. Mac OS 9 refuses to boot in QEMU 2.4.0 for PPC/Mac. But you'll get a handle on the syntax and the approach on setting up guest OSes.

This is another reason why I'm still going to try Linux on this sucker, it's got mountains of compatibility with lots of stuff.

Yes, Ubuntu Mate PPC runs great on the 970MP. AND you'll be able to build the current version of QEMU (2.9.0) with all the advancements in KVM and guest operating system compatibility.

I've been tinkering with Linux/PPC since MkLinux on a NuBus PPC601 from before the turn of the century and even still, I found jumping back into Linux with my G5s and MATE last year was a bit of a steep learning curve. The x86 Linux world has it so much easier in terms of compatibility and support. You'll find a lot of PPC specific issues are just not documented online in the usual (reachable) places.

Anyway, Happy trailblazing!

Attachments

• qemu-2.4.0-Portfile.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
No problem. I've tried installing the tuntaposx driver (for Panther) to get networking going, but even though the driver loads the TUN interface, Mac-On-Mac can't seem to find it. Reading through the original Mac-On-Mac website (via archive.org), states that sound, networking and USB were not working in the alpha version.

There is source code for a CoreAudio driver filed at the sourceforge page, so maybe audio was closer than the other features. I'll keep playing around with it anyway.
[doublepost=1500567132][/doublepost]

Just a hunch...

The old build of Q on the PPCAppStore is ancient and painfully slow. If you do want to run Qemu on Mac OS X (which Q was based on), you can build and install version 2.4.0 via MacPorts or Tigerbrew. (Both package management systems are Tiger and Leopard compatible)

I had better luck getting the MacPorts version of QEMU to build. But it took me a while to track down the older version's Portfile (see attached zip for your convenience).

Install MacPorts, download and unzip the qemu-2.4.0-Portfile.zip directly in your home directory (not in Desktop or Downloads), then fire up Terminal and cd ~/qemu && sudo port install

There's a good Qemu for OSX guide over at emaculation.com. The guide assumes you're going to run OS9 as a guest and it's written from the perspective of running on an Intel macOS Sierra host. Mac OS 9 refuses to boot in QEMU 2.4.0 for PPC/Mac. But you'll get a handle on the syntax and the approach on setting up guest OSes.

Yes, Ubuntu Mate PPC runs great on the 970MP. AND you'll be able to build the current version of QEMU (2.9.0) with all the advancements in KVM and guest operating system compatibility.

I've been tinkering with Linux/PPC since MkLinux on a NuBus PPC601 from before the turn of the century and even still, I found jumping back into Linux with my G5s and MATE last year was a bit of a steep learning curve. The x86 Linux world has it so much easier in terms of compatibility and support. You'll find a lot of PPC specific issues are just not documented online in the usual (reachable) places.

Anyway, Happy trailblazing!

I was talking about Lubuntu 16.04, but OK...

Thanks for the help. I'm sure that was of assistance to other people, as well. :)

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
I was talking about Lubuntu 16.04, but OK...

Thanks for the help. I'm sure that was of assistance to other people, as well. :)

Lubuntu and MATE both have the same Ubuntu base, which I believe stems from Debian. From what I've seen, they are each very similar in terms of compatibility and issues on PowerPC. My understanding is that the 16.04 series of releases are the last of the long term support (LTS) distros for our Macs as Debian have officially dropped the PPC flavour.

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Lubuntu and MATE both have the same Ubuntu base, which I believe stems from Debian. From what I've seen, they are each very similar in terms of compatibility and issues on PowerPC. My understanding is that the 16.04 series of releases are the last of the long term support (LTS) distros for our Macs as Debian have officially dropped the PPC flavour.

Ah well.

What will you do, right? At least they'll keep being reliable.

zappaesque

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2017
@G4fanboy I was also having the no sound for YouTube problem. Turns out you have to update to QuickTime 7. You get sound, and that error message doesn't how up on launch.

For those who haven't tried, this doesn't work under Tiger. The video will start to load, then stop with a "not found" error.

Reactions: G4fanboy

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Although the image only appeared in the reply box, that's what I do when I get bored, too. :D

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 308

zappaesque

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2017
Last edited:

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Panther thread is STILL going strong!

Remember not to post links to stuff that can still be under copyright. Linking a search engine result is about the only way I know to skirt the rule, but even that isn't a wonderful thing.

Stay strong. No pirates. Use Panther! :D
[doublepost=1501167913][/doublepost]PS--Why didn't they ever take Mac on Mac beyond 10.3? I know later versions break it, but was it unfixable?

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Hmm for some reason, it doesn't work under Panther for me either. I get the same "not found" error with Quicktime 7.4.1. This is on my original blue iMac.

View attachment 709762

It's amazing Classila can even work with YouTube *at all*.

Come on, there's something right?
[doublepost=1501170193][/doublepost]
Panther thread is STILL going strong!

Well, what did you expect? We're resilient suckers!

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Just a heads up on a missing component:

I took my own advice and found QuickTime 7.5 for Panther (51.4MB) here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20100524143140/https://support.apple.com/kb/DL54

Click Download and patiently wait for the redirect to the edgesuite server.

I've updated the Apple Software Updates section in the Panther Wiki on page 1.
[doublepost=1505443563][/doublepost]
This is what happens when I get board :)

Panther-boardem.jpg

Okay, I only just spotted the significance of this. The PowerBook5,9 shipped with Tiger (10.4.2), so what was your technique for getting Panther to play nice with the last of the 'books?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
My Panther is stable mostly, but when I access a GUID IDE NTFS drive it always hangs...even when it recognizes it.

Add to the Adobe Collection Adobe Premiere 6.5.

Digidesign recommend to stay away from updates on Panther for Digi 001-Audiomedia III http://archive.digidesign.com/compato/osx/001/ They recommend to keep 10.3.2 or 10.3.4 but users try to update always. Also they say to keep with quicktime 6.5 instead of 7 for protools users.

It is always better to open DMG on Tiger/Leopard than on Panther, Disk Utility from Panther it is not as pullished.
[doublepost=1495386928][/doublepost]Also, just checked that Classilla + Panther + Youtube works! Classilla run on Classic, but the 3gp file is launched by Quicktime Panther native. It complaints about "Quicktime is missing software required to perform this operation. Unfortunately it is not available on the quicktime server" but it runs in both Normal and HQ quality. It sends 3gp files

Can you tell me the exact Quicktime, Classilla and Perian versions used for this? For me, in browser 3gp playback stopped over a year ago on every machine I tried.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.