Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

G4fanboy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Andalucia Spain
Teleport house abyssoft is down.

Do someone plenty of space can reupload here or in the teleport post, please.

Posting with Classilla on Panther

G4fanboy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Andalucia Spain
I have been 4 days using Panther trying to download stuff from the usual places and it taught my attention than when I tried to access the Classillas's author gopher server to download Classilla, my new Panther install went to a Tiger drive app to open a Firefox v2 I had there, instead of opening Classilla or Safari. As KawaiiAurora said it can run up to Firefox 3.

But to be honest, latest Classilla is hard to work with.

I gave a try to youtube and it were astonishing. Youtube worked on both my MDD and my Sawtooth. With Classilla 9.3.3 with Javascript off in latest Panther with both Quicktime 6.5.2 and QT 7.5, with Nokia User agent and Opera 4 user agent, but the videos with Opera are even smaller. I messed up something "touching" too much and minutes later I couldn't reach m.youtube page with the QT6.5.2 machine. But the QT 7.5 machine still works for youtube if you keep "untouched" the user agent and the scriptbegone.

Attachments

• Picture 3.pdf
    686.2 KB · Views: 424

air78

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2018
Set PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin and DISPLAY=:0.0 in ~/.bashrc, otherwise X11 won't do much.

Aphrotic Hi!

Could you clarify about this optimizations? Could you describe in more detail the syntax of these commands in the terminal? Does the optimization follow the acceleration of graphics performance in a virtual machine?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Aphrotic Hi!

Could you clarify about this optimizations? Could you describe in more detail the syntax of these commands in the terminal? Does the optimization follow the acceleration of graphics performance in a virtual machine?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Hi air78,

The shell environment variables were set to provide Panther with the correct path to the X11 binaries (via PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin) which appends the /usr/X11R6/bin path to the existing PATH variable. X11 is then set to use the first display/screen via (DISPLAY=:0.0).

This doesn’t accelerate the graphics in any way. Also, depending on your Panther and X11 installation, this step may not be necessary.

Here is a brief introduction for setting Shell environment variables:
http://www.codecoffee.com/tipsforlinux/articles/030.html

Hope that helps.

Reactions: G4fanboy

air78

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2018
Hi air78,

The shell environment variables were set to provide Panther with the correct path to the X11 binaries (via PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin) which appends the /usr/X11R6/bin path to the existing PATH variable. X11 is then set to use the first display/screen via (DISPLAY=:0.0).

This doesn’t accelerate the graphics in any way. Also, depending on your Panther and X11 installation, this step may not be necessary.

Here is a brief introduction for setting Shell environment variables:
http://www.codecoffee.com/tipsforlinux/articles/030.html

Hope that helps.

Thanks again. Next i will try this with OroborOSX, if it will work with this application.

G4fanboy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Andalucia Spain

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Sorry for bringing up this old thread again, but I had a go at updating the first post to make it more consistent with the other OS X-specific threads.

air78

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2018
Classilla works slowly on Panther, new Aphrotics browser still in alpha stage. Most optimized browser which works better and faster than classilla is - Firefox 2. But this annoying with verifying of web certificates.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I just thought about this, seeing as we have a lot of certificates issues here.

While on a journey to make my Nokia N8 usable in the modern world, I came across this website which offers updated certificates for download. After installing all the certificates available, I haven't seen a lot of difference on my phone, but perhaps a desktop situation would be a different story?

http://www.traud.de/ta/

As far as I can tell, it is secure, and there is no malicious activity in sight. But try it, see if it helps. I have a feeling it might.

I can't test them because I don't have a Panther machine, or any other older-than-Tiger machine ready at the moment, unfortunately.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Have you tried double clicking it? In Leopard, it leads to the Keychain Access app, asking me if I want to add it.

air78

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2018
While on a journey to make my Nokia N8 usable in the modern world, I came across this website which offers updated certificates for download. After installing all the certificates available, I haven't seen a lot of difference on my phone, but perhaps a desktop situation would be a different story?

Thanks a lot, situation with the desktop a same story. Now Panther and even Jaguar a bit a more usable for modern tasks.

Reactions: z970

air78

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2018
So it works? You don't get as many certificate errors?

Yes, it was very encouraging. But there are some errors with the reproduction of advertising on the site, which does not interfere with the work.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
I haven't tested these yet, but just curiously I went to download and got put off by all the individual files...

So, here's a quick(er) download method:

1. Save http://www.traud.de/ta/Series40.htm to a new folder (i.e "New Certificates" on your Desktop)
2. Use Terminal to 'cd' into the new folder ('cd /Users/me/Desktop/New\ Certificates')
3. Then at the prompt $ wget --force-html -i Series40.htm

You will now have 38 .cer files in the folder, downloaded and ready to install.

NOTE: wget can be installed via macports or homebrew / tigerbrew.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
For what it's worth, I'd recommend putting some attention towards the SHA2 page in http://www.traud.de/ta/sha2/ as well, because most websites today are using SHA2 in favor of SHA1, thus you will likely get better compatibility if using the SHA2 certificates.

Thank you Aphotic, for your continual innovations and contributions to the community. Much appreciated.

Reactions: AphoticD

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
In that case, use the attached (zipped) html file to pull down all 65 certs using the same wget method.

Attachments

• Traud.de-TA-Certificates.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 290
Reactions: air78 and z970

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
From a designers perspective I will just say the following will run comfortably on Panther:

QuarkXPress 6.5.1
Acrobat 6 Pro
Adobe Illustrator 10
Adobe Photoshop 7
Adobe InDesign 2
Adobe Pagemaker 7
Suitcase X1
Office X/2004

Panther was the absolute most stable version of OS X I have yet encountered. Solid and dependable. It's only fault was that it was boring.
What systems did you run Panther on? I haven't had much experience with it so I don't know how it performs in comparison to other OS X versions.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What systems did you run Panther on? I haven't had much experience with it so I don't know how it performs in comparison to other OS X versions.
From February 2005 to mid-2008 (I believe) I was running it on a 1.8Ghz PowerMac G5 with 4GB ram. It also got installed to two PowerMac G4s. These Macs are my work Macs and are still being used (although they were upgraded years ago).

Until 2009 it was running on my TiBook 400. Then I got Tiger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.