Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
From February 2005 to mid-2008 (I believe) I was running it on a 1.8Ghz PowerMac G5 with 4GB ram. It also got installed to two PowerMac G4s. These Macs are my work Macs and are still being used (although they were upgraded years ago).

Until 2009 it was running on my TiBook 400. Then I got Tiger.
I've mostly moved my systems to Tiger, my last Panther holdout was a 2003 iBook G3 which recently had its HDD crash. Perhaps I will install it on a PowerMac G4 for testing. I have to agree that brushed metal was overused in Panther, hasn't aged the best.

G4fanboy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Andalucia Spain
I haven't tested these yet, but just curiously I went to download and got put off by all the individual files...

So, here's a quick(er) download method:

1. Save http://www.traud.de/ta/Series40.htm to a new folder (i.e "New Certificates" on your Desktop)
2. Use Terminal to 'cd' into the new folder ('cd /Users/me/Desktop/New\ Certificates')
3. Then at the prompt $ wget --force-html -i Series40.htm

You will now have 38 .cer files in the folder, downloaded and ready to install.

NOTE: wget can be installed via macports or homebrew / tigerbrew.
There is no homebrew/macports for Panther or Jaguar AFAIK.tigerbrew from DeMeo is for tiger.

I have downloaded all the folders.

I think it should be Ideal to make a package for every PowerPC MacOS including MacOS9.

Reactions: AphoticD

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
I've recently been working with a Panther machine (Lombard G3 400MHz, 384MB RAM) and have been making it a part of my workflow. I added a few of the apps I've been using to the wiki post on the first page.

Web Browsers, FTP et al.

Web Design & Development

Office & Productivity
  • [... snip ...]
  • iWork '05 (G3 supported)
    • Keynote 2.0
    • Pages 1.0

It's surprising to see Pages zipping along on a G3!

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
It's surprising to see Pages zipping along on a G3!
Even iWork '09 works on a G3 running Tiger despite Apple saying it needs a G4, they obviously forgot to strip out the G3 code like they did with a lot of their other applications :)

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
Even iWork '09 works on a G3 running Tiger despite Apple saying it needs a G4, they obviously forgot to strip out the G3 code like they did with a lot of their other applications :)

Is that a fact? What’s the last iMovie to work on a G3? I may make a tiger distro on my G4 and carbon clone it

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
It is indeed a fact :) For iLife, iPhoto/iWeb '08 are the newest that work on G3s but iMovie/GarageBand/iDVD are stuck at '05 as Apple removed the G3 code from those ones after the end of official G3 support with '05.

MS Office 2008 also works despite officially requiring a G4, though is very slow particularly to load on older systems.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017

Nice. The system requirements put me off, so I didn't even try iWork '06 or later. How's the performance? I like the idea of sticking with the pre-bloat versions which ran well on the older hardware, like Photoshop 7.0 Instead of CS1/CS2.

MS Office 2008 also works despite officially requiring a G4, though is very slow particularly to load on older systems.

And Office 2004 instead of 2008 :)

A simple example is Taco HTML Edit v1.5.1 which was the last version I could find before the developer added a "Transparency" option to the text window. Unfortunately, even when the transparency is set to off, the window is handled by the Quartz WM as a window with alpha channels ( isOpaque == NO ).

So, on the Lombard with it's 8MB Rage LT Pro (or the PDQ with it's 4MB LT Pro), this has a dramatic effect on overall smoothness while typing, scrolling and moving the text window. The hardware accelerated Quartz Extreme compositor introduced in Jaguar required at least 16MB VRAM on an AGP GPU IIRC.

Reactions: Raging Dufus

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Does anyone here know what discs I would need to install Panther on an A1106 model 15-inch PowerBook G4?

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
Does anyone here know what discs I would need to install Panther on an A1106 model 15-inch PowerBook G4?

These are not specific to your machine, but you can download install disc images (which you can then burn to disc yourself, if you have that capability) from here. Panther is version 10.3.x, just scroll down the list until you find what you need.

EDIT: Looks like you'll need at least version 10.3.7 for your A1106.

Last edited:

air78

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2018

You can use preinstalled and updated disk image from pearpc, works fine in almost cases.

And yes, installation disks with 10.3.7 for PB can be dowloaded from MG.

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Added Airfoil, ATIccelerator, Audio Hijack [Pro], CandyBar, Detour, DisplayConfigX, Fetch, Firefox, LineIn, Mactracker, Nicecast, Nisus Writer, OmniDiskSweeper, OmniGraffle [Pro], OmniOutliner [Pro|, OmniWeb, Pacifist, SoundSource, SwitchResX, Unison.

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Added A Better Finder Rename, A Better Folder Attributes, Adium, DragThing, EyeTV, MacBreakZ, NFS Manager, Opera, PrefEdit, Shiira, Sunrise, SuperDuper, SystemLoad, Temperature Monitor, TinkerTool, USB Overdrive, Xbench, XPostFacto.

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Added AbiWord, Burn, Carbon Copy Cloner, CocoviewX, Colloquy, FileJuicer, iStopMotion, iVeZeen, MPEG Streamclip, NeoOffice, SIDPLAY, ToyViewer, Vidi.

UPDATE 1: Added CombinePDFs, Default Folder X, Final Cut Express, Final Cut Studio (2005), MidiKeys, Snapz Pro X.

UPDATE 2: Added iScroll, iStumbler, LaunchBar, The Unarchiver.

Last edited:

mmphosis

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2017
I found Ext2FS_1.3 for 10.2 and 10.3. My PowerPC Macs are running OS's too new to run it, or at least not supported.

EXT2 Filesystem for Mac OS X
Version 1.3 (2004/08/02)

Requirements: Mac OS X 10.2.0 through 10.3.x. Mac OS X 10.0.x, 10.1.x and 10.4.x or higher are not supported.

dr.zeissler

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
Does anyone have collected emulators that can be used with 10.3.9 on a g4mini?
What about source-ports that require tiger due to later SDL-Versions or other tiger-related dependencies?
I would love to play "ecwolf" "riseofthetriad" "dxrebirth1+2", mame, etc. on my system. I have no experiances in building binaries from sources, perhaps some binaries are already build but lost/abandoned?

and not to forget eduke32 1.4svn tiger :(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.