Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sentential

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
TikTok will be banned because they are a business from China and China's government, by their law, has to have backdoor access to TikTok's servers. It is not being banned due to short-form videos training people to have short attention spans, right...
First point, they're not getting banned if the orders I'm seeing at work from them are a reflection of truth. Second they're being targeted because they're decimating the ad space google and meta operate in.

The China talk is a smoke screen and they've (google/meta) got better lobbies for now. Implying that China is more corrupt than the good Ole USA? Lol

Reactions: Chuckeee

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
First point, they're not getting banned if the orders I'm seeing at work from them are a reflection of truth. Second they're being targeted because they're decimating the ad space google and meta operate in.

The China talk is a smoke screen and they've (google/meta) got better lobbies for now. Implying that China is more corrupt than the good Ole USA? Lol
China is more corrupt compared to the US. The highest corruption, China is not a democracy and their elections are fake, designed to maintain communist party rule and privilege.

Doing business in China means greasing a lot of palms, ergo corruption is systemic.

Companies like Temu are severely corrupting commerce and the environment. They are dumping goods into Western markets at a huge loss and significantly increasing pollution associated package delivery.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 11.10.25 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 11.10.25 PM.png
    436.2 KB · Views: 23

jumpcats1234

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2024
U.S
The one app that will never be on any device in my home. My 12 year old has been warned he will lose his phone and iPad access if he downloads it.

TikTok brainwashing a future generation
My family (younger and teen generations) are brainwashed by this stupid app as well. Kudos to you. I, myself will never get the app to only be absorbed buy useless propaganda.

NeutraLNinja

Suspended
May 7, 2024
China is more corrupt compared to the US. The highest corruption, China is not a democracy and their elections are fake, designed to maintain communist party rule and privilege.
And that's irrelevant in this case anyway.
Doing business in China means greasing a lot of palms, ergo corruption is systemic.
Companies like Temu are severely corrupting commerce and the environment. They are dumping goods into Western markets at a huge loss and significantly increasing pollution associated package delivery.
Again irrelevant for this case.

The only thing that matters is if TikTok does or doesn't respect the local laws in the countries they operate and if they are doing anything "fishy" with their users data or anything to facilitate the transfer or user data to China(honestly TikTok user data isn't even that valuable in comparison to what Google or Meta have).
TikTok has 38,578 employees worldwide as of 2023. Approximately 11,400 of their employees are based in the United States. To me is crazy that taking into consideration the things TikTok is accuses of, no whistleblower has come forth to testify or give any new details.

• Disagree
Reactions: rehkram and chmania

The Apple Bitch

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2024
The only thing that matters is if TikTok does or doesn't respect the local laws in the countries they operate and if they are doing anything "fishy" with their users data or anything to facilitate the transfer or user data to China(honestly TikTok user data isn't even that valuable in comparison to what Google or Meta have).
TikTok has 38,578 employees worldwide as of 2023. Approximately 11,400 of their employees are based in the United States. To me is crazy that taking into consideration the things TikTok is accuses of, no whistleblower has come forth to testify or give any new details.
If the algorithm would optimize for some specific outcome(s) they probably wouldn't know, since it is TikTok's secret sauce.

There are a whole lot of reasons but I will try to be as straightforward as possible:

1. Population deterioration; diminishes people's abilities and self control.
2. Population manipulation; can with the use of algorithms control people's thoughts and behavior.
3. Hurtful to a lot of people, more so than alcohol, drugs etc

⬆️ That's the three main dangers with TikTok ⬆️
As I said before, these are the reasons ⬆️. User-data is less important than you think.

The Apple Bitch

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2024
They can only label media with metadata, which can be stripped quite easily, so this isn’t all that useful really.
Nice, I don't believe it will be misused. Yes, it's easy to wipe the meta-data but it's tedious, so unless you want to make a "guess the AI" it probably won't be used.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
The proof is China made getting access to any business in China a law. TikTok is owned by Beijing based ByteDance ergo they have to comply with Chinese government law. TikTok may store user data outside China but it is the Internet, China's government can get access to ByteDance servers anywhere in the world on the down-low.

TikTok lawyers will surely say the servers for US TikTok users are in countries outside China subject to privacy laws in those countries. However, we are talking about China's government and they don't care about privacy laws in other countries. Government hackers from China are constantly being outed and if they're somehow caught accessing TikTok servers in other countries ByteDance will simply say they were hacked.
So China could access TikTok data and could use TikTok to distribute false data. While Meta has sold any data to anyone and Meta has distributed false data from anyone who brings a checkbook.

So why exactly is TikTok so much worse than Meta?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Hopefully instagram follows, and with option to hide this garbage. I'm so tired of seeing cool looking house in thumbnail in explore just to open AI generated garbage, that later keeps showing more for me. It's like mine sweeper but not fun.
I agree about Instagram. If you have a passion for travel, design or achictecture inspiration, Instagram is ruined.

The discovery tab is riddles with AI content. A filter for it would be appreciated.

Reactions: PowerButton

NeutraLNinja

Suspended
May 7, 2024
If the algorithm would optimize for some specific outcome(s) they probably wouldn't know, since it is TikTok's secret sauce.

The algorithm is very easy to test and see how it works. Even if I watch political clips it doesn't aggressively shove them in my face like X does for example(a US social media app that heavily pushes anti US posts), I have to specifically search for certain terms in order for the algorithm to constantly feed me political videos and even then, it generally pushes things I agree with, it doesn't try to change my views.

A lot of people here try to give directions without being informed which is weird.

• Disagree
Reactions: The Apple Bitch

NeutraLNinja

Suspended
May 7, 2024
So China could access TikTok data and could use TikTok to distribute false data. While Meta has sold any data to anyone and Meta has distributed false data from anyone who brings a checkbook.

So why exactly is TikTok so much worse than Meta?
I don't think it matters who is worse, what matters if for the law to be respected and user data to be protected and not used in any malicious way. Meta was fined multiple times by the EU for not respecting it GDPR laws until Meta got the idea, they didn't try to outright ban the app even if you can be even more suspicious for Facebook or Instagram than TikTok.

People here are complaining China is bad, does bad things and are advocating for the US to act the same way without proper cause. This really doesn't send the right signals. If there's a shred of proof that TikTok did something, OK ban them, but that's the thing, there's none.

chmania

Suspended
Dec 2, 2023
It only tells that China/Chinese are much better at creating software, which is hard to crack, so the ban scare.

Last edited:

SatanGirl

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2024
AI labelling is a temporary and flawed solution. As computing power increases generative LLMs will be at the fingertips of anyone on their local machine, totally unlabelled.

It will make things even worse because people will turn off brain looking at labels.

The Apple Bitch

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2024
The algorithm is very easy to test and see how it works. Even if I watch political clips it doesn't aggressively shove them in my face like X does for example(a US social media app that heavily pushes anti US posts), I have to specifically search for certain terms in order for the algorithm to constantly feed me political videos and even then, it generally pushes things I agree with, it doesn't try to change my views.

A lot of people here try to give directions without being informed which is weird.
Ohhh my, you really are unaware of how algorithms can manipulate. Changes can take weeks, months or years. Its influence is so persistent that it almost never makes you think it's trying to change you.

Reactions: rehkram

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
We're already seeing how easy it is to manipulate large uneducated portions of the population of any given country. If you play to their biases they will:

• Initially actually believe whatever cr@p is put in front of them, hook, line and sinker. This is the classic "bias confirmation" tendency in play.
  • Beg for more.
  • Later, when it becomes demonstrably clear that they have been faked-out, they become "marks" when they learn how to put their minds in neutral and just shrug their shoulders.
  • At this stage the "marks" either just sneer, or use weasel words like "but it could be true", or "there's a lot of truth in it", or "it's just my freedom of speech", or "it's just entertainment", or "I'm entitled to my alternate facts", and so on, ad infinitum.
  • Meanwhile, educated portions of said populations have come to realize that their neighbors have become "marks" and shifted their brains into this free-wheeling zombie mode. Their brakes have failed, and are towing the country downhill fast through simple force of gravity.
  • Bingo. The content originator(s) have created the division in society they desired.
  • The content originators can then continue to deepen their exploitation of the credulous and/or toxic masses.
This initially self-inflicted tendency is already affecting huge numbers of people. The Latin motto Veritas Omnia Vincet - Truth Conquers All, is becoming more important to remember and promote than ever.

It is vital that we understand what is going on and push back hard with the real facts. Unregulated AI in the hands of compulsive- or criminal liars, either civilians, politicians or authoritarian governments, is, at best, a chaos agent, or at worst, a potent weapon.

PowerButton

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2022
I don't think it matters who is worse, what matters if for the law to be respected and user data to be protected and not used in any malicious way. Meta was fined multiple times by the EU for not respecting it GDPR laws until Meta got the idea, they didn't try to outright ban the app even if you can be even more suspicious for Facebook or Instagram than TikTok.

People here are complaining China is bad, does bad things and are advocating for the US to act the same way without proper cause. This really doesn't send the right signals. If there's a shred of proof that TikTok did something, OK ban them, but that's the thing, there's none.

That’s like the analogy of keeping a pet tiger in your backyard. It hasn’t killed anyone yet but when it does it’ll be too late.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Some people here who, I assume, have no access to classified information concerning TikTok, baldly state "there's no proof", or something is "irrelevant to this discussion".

Fact is, TikTok is a two-way open channel, some might say "open sewer", for data. It's like having a digital "mole" planted everywhere on the planet.

What else? The CCP can promote any old propaganda they like, a.k.a. "lies".

The CCP can also receive information, e.g. classified data, or incriminating data that can be used for blackmail.

I could go on, and on. The naivety of some people is astounding. Or maybe not. :rolleyes:

• Love
Reactions: The Apple Bitch

chmania

Suspended
Dec 2, 2023
Some people here who, I assume, have no access to classified information concerning TikTok, baldly state "there's no proof", or something is "irrelevant to this discussion".

Fact is, TikTok is a two-way open channel, some might say "open sewer", for data. It's like having a digital "mole" planted everywhere on the planet.

What else? The CCP can promote any old propaganda they like, a.k.a. "lies".

The CCP can also receive information, e.g. classified data, or incriminating data that can be used for blackmail.

I could go on, and on. The naivety of some people is astounding. Or maybe not. :rolleyes:
Can you imagine running a country of 1.42 billion inhabitants?

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
not quite actually, tiktok is only banned in Afghanistan for religious reason and india for political reasons. there are quite a few country limit usage on gov't employee's phones. your statement play off as there is more than it actually is.

it’s completely banned in india which is a significant portion of the world population

Reactions: Chuckeee

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
TikTok has EU and US subsidiaries that have to abide by local laws not China laws(they have basically a separate US company, and European one, other ones that need to operate in other countries etc). So that's not proof that TikTok shares private users data with China. Also sharing so much data without a trace would be impossible, that's what I'm saying, where's the actual proof that they share this data outside of China?
Also very important, do you think that the thousands of non Chinese TikTok employees would just do spy work for China? Makes absolutely no sense.

"can get access" is a supposition that nobody moved an inch to prove in any practical way.

Of course, its a undeniable fact and judges like to look at facts more than anything.

However you are making all kinds of suppositions. Got it.

it’s not a supposition that chinese companies must comply with chinese government requests for information

it’s also not a supposition that it can be used to manipulate populations at the behest of its controllers who the american government would prefer be not an adversary

the proof is the laws as written and tiktok notifying millions of people to defend them and call their politicians to stop the ban

america passed a law saying such platforms cannot be owned by adversary countries it’s not that deep and china certainly doesn’t let this stuff happen over there

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
Something else will come up, tie tik, or tok tok or tuk tuk...it'd be very very hard to stop the Chinese technical development.

i mean all the american government is saying is that apps like these can’t be owned be a foreign adversary if they want to operate on the american population

they’re more than welcome to sell the company for fair value and get their moneys worth otherwise (depending on supreme court outcome) american government can make that rule for its society

chmania

Suspended
Dec 2, 2023
i mean all the american government is saying is that apps like these can’t be owned be a foreign adversary if they want to operate on the american population
You mean, that Facebook, Instagram, Google etc operating in say, Germany, must be owned by a German company? In France, by the French? In China by the Chinese?

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
You mean, that Facebook, Instagram, Google etc operating in say, Germany, must be owned by a German company? In France, by the French? In China by the Chinese?

if they want to that’s a country’s prerogative

i believe there’s a similar system for ALL foreign companies that operate in china

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.