Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021
Better check on that to see if that's true.

foreign companies have to be special types of companies and there are restrictions on foreign ownership of domestic companies

feel free to inform yourself more fully on china’s regulatory regime if you’d like but either way

it’s their prerogative how they want to run their own country lol

NeutraLNinja

Suspended
May 7, 2024
it’s not a supposition that chinese companies must comply with chinese government requests for information
The transfer of user data from other countries is definitely a supposition.
When a Chinese company does business in a different country it has to create a local company which is subjected to local laws. For example EU branch of TikTok can't decide they don't want to respect the GDPR rules because China told them so. The same applied to "sending data".

it’s also not a supposition that it can be used to manipulate populations at the behest of its controllers who the american government would prefer be not an adversary
Until anybody comes with any shred of proof, yeah it is.

the proof is the laws as written and tiktok notifying millions of people to defend them and call their politicians to stop the ban
I don't understand why you mean by that.
america passed a law saying such platforms cannot be owned by adversary countries it’s not that deep and china certainly doesn’t let this stuff happen over there
Well yeah, it's obviously a political thing, that much is quite clear.
And isn't China, US's biggest trade partner?

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
toobravetosave said:
it’s also not a supposition that it can be used to manipulate populations at the behest of its controllers who the american government would prefer be not an adversary

To which NeutralNinja replied:
Until anybody comes with any shred of proof, yeah it is.

@toobravetosave is absolutely correct. It is not just a supposition that any form of social media can be used to manipulate populations, we're seeing it everywhere, every hour.

I assume @NeutraLNinja is not a native English speaker, having completely missed the point.

You want proof? How about the overwhelming bipartisan vote in the US Congress to ban it? The fact that they did not tell us exactly why that passed so quickly means that the "proof" is only available on a "need to know" basis, i.e. classified. You don't need to know.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: The Apple Bitch

NeutraLNinja

Suspended
May 7, 2024
Yes, I'm not a native English speaker, but I did not misunderstand. The discussion was about TikTok and the supposed imminent danger it poses, to the extent that it needs to be banned, which is an extreme measure. The UK and EU didn't ban Facebook for doing a lot of shady stuff. The US itself has been proven to spy on its own allies, for example.
My point is, there's no proof that TikTok has done or tried to do anything shady.

While TikTok is a social media platform, not all social media platforms are the same. TikTok can't do what Twitter and Facebook do, where bots can create posts and the algorithm is also anti-US and works in their favor (which is funny). On TikTok, artificial bot videos don't get much attention and are easily dismissible.
The idea is that TikTok is a business. It makes a lot of money, things are working great for them, they are still growing fast, and the suppositions here are that they would give up on this to do some unsuccessful shady stuff for the Chinese government.

You want proof? How about the overwhelming bipartisan vote in the US Congress to ban it? The fact that they did not tell us exactly why that passed so quickly means that the "proof" is only available on a "need to know" basis, i.e. classified. You don't need to know.

That's not proof of anything. My understanding is that the bill was included with the already approved Ukrainian aid, so of course it passed. I've never seen any suggestions of any "classified" proof. The same argument was made with Huawei: "Oh, the proof is classified, we can't share it." Four years later, there's still no actual indication of anything.

The Apple Bitch

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2024
Yes, I'm not a native English speaker, but I did not misunderstand. The discussion was about TikTok and the supposed imminent danger it poses, to the extent that it needs to be banned, which is an extreme measure. The UK and EU didn't ban Facebook for doing a lot of shady stuff. The US itself has been proven to spy on its own allies, for example.
My point is, there's no proof that TikTok has done or tried to do anything shady.

While TikTok is a social media platform, not all social media platforms are the same. TikTok can't do what Twitter and Facebook do, where bots can create posts and the algorithm is also anti-US and works in their favor (which is funny). On TikTok, artificial bot videos don't get much attention and are easily dismissible.
The idea is that TikTok is a business. It makes a lot of money, things are working great for them, they are still growing fast, and the suppositions here are that they would give up on this to do some unsuccessful shady stuff for the Chinese government.

That's not proof of anything. My understanding is that the bill was included with the already approved Ukrainian aid, so of course it passed. I've never seen any suggestions of any "classified" proof. The same argument was made with Huawei: "Oh, the proof is classified, we can't share it." Four years later, there's still no actual indication of anything.
I don't know what else to say, take a look at what I wrote before:
There are a whole lot of reasons but I will try to be as straightforward as possible:

1. Population deterioration; diminishes people's abilities and self control.
2. Population manipulation; can with the use of algorithms control people's thoughts and behavior.
3. Hurtful to a lot of people, more so than alcohol, drugs etc

⬆️ That's the three main dangers with TikTok ⬆️
There need not be more reasons than that behind the decision.

NeutraLNinja

Suspended
May 7, 2024
I don't know what else to say, take a look at what I wrote before:

There need not be more reasons than that behind the decision.
Have you ever used TikTok? like really used it not just to see how it looks. It doesn't seem like you have.

Hurtful to a lot of people, more so than alcohol, drugs etc

This one is incredibly weird and illogical.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Have you been living under a rock for the last eight years? :) The US Congress is totally divided on partisan lines, by far the worst in my lifetime, maybe in history.

So we are stuck with a Congress that has been held captive for the last four years, and mostly held-up by a do-nothing majority. Then, suddenly, the House passes a bill to force restrictions on TikTok by an overwhelming majority.

Whether or not you consider that proof is irrelevant. The House Reps that voted to pass it certainly felt they had enough proof. Since this concerns national security I'd suggest the real reasons are classified.

You and I have no right to classified information until it is declassified, and the same goes for the Huawei matter. So no matter how many times you assert "there is no proof" it does not make it a fact. You just don't know whether there is any proof or not.

By the way, you are wrong. The TikTok bill was not bundled with the security aid bill, which included funding to Ukraine, Israel, Taiwan and Gaza. It was unconnected. Look it up please so I don't have to waste my time fact checking your posts. Thank you.

Last edited:

NeutraLNinja

Suspended
May 7, 2024
Have you been living under a rock for the last eight years? The US Congress is totally divided on partisan lines, by far the worst in my lifetime and maybe in history.
Not on everything it seems.

The current Congress has been held captive for the last four years, mostly held-up by a do-nothing majority. Then, suddenly, the House passes a bill to force restrictions on TikTok by an overwhelming majority.
Well they voted for the Ukrainian aid so of course if TikTok was also there the outcome was predictable.
Also I've seen how old US politicians are, most don;t know what TikTok is in the first place.

Whether or not you consider that proof is irrelevant. The House Reps that voted to pass it certainly felt they had enough proof. Since this concerns national security I'd suggest the real reasons are classified. You and I have no right to classified information until it is declassified, on the Huawei case included.
It's not proof at all, not that it's not relevant, it's not even proof.

By the way, You are wrong. The TikTok bill was not bundled with the security aid bill, which included funding to Ukraine, Israel, Taiwan and Gaza. Look it up.

The Senate voted 79 to 18 in favor of the bill, which was attached to a measure to provide $95 billion in mostly military aid for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan.

Last edited:

The Apple Bitch

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2024
Have you ever used TikTok? like really used it not just to see how it looks. It doesn't seem like you have.

Hurtful to a lot of people, more so than alcohol, drugs etc

This one is incredibly weird and illogical.
Yes I have and am using TikTok regularly and I have been for years.

It's not weird it's reality.

NeutraLNinja

Suspended
May 7, 2024
Yes I have and am using TikTok regularly and I have been for years.

It's not weird it's reality.
I doubt you use it or you wouldn't have wrote those things.

And No, it's not. Let's say I have a TikTok problem and spend wayy too much time in the app(looking at recipes, jokes, travel videos, tech video, tech tips, life tips etc. so I even learn useful stuff on it), while you have a drug problem. You are destroying yourself, your health, your life, your future and everybody around you until you are no more, but you say my TikTop problem is worse than yours. Yeah right it is.

Last edited:
  • Disagree

The Apple Bitch

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2024
I doubt you used it or you wouldn't have wrote those things.

And No, it's not. Let's say I have a TikTok problem and spend too much time in the app(looking at recipes, jokes, travel videos, tech video, tech tips, life tips etc. so I even learn useful stuff on it), while you have a drug problem. You are destroying yourself, your health, your life, your future and everybody around you until you are no more, but you say my TikTop problem is worse than yours. Yeah right it is.
Seems like there isn't a point talking to you if you wont believe in me.

I'm serious about this so let's look at the numbers:

TikTok has over 150 million active monthly users in the US and the average time spent is one hour per day. Meaning that every day 252 American lifetimes are lost every day.
(150E6 /(24 * 365.25 * 68 [the average lifespan in the US]) ≈ 252 lifetimes per day. And approximately 92 000 lifetimes per year.

Comparing that to roughly 40 million drug abusing people per month aged over 11. Whereof the death toll hovers around 120 000 people per year.

And we are talking deaths compared to lifetimes here.

Further more we can count with that 70 million people are abusing alcohol. Which combined with drugs are about 110 million.

TikTok in comparison have an active user-base of 150 million. As i said: TikTok is Hurtful to a lot of people, more so than alcohol, drugs etc

150 million > 110 million.

Reactions: rehkram

NeutraLNinja

Suspended
May 7, 2024
Seems like there isn't a point talking to you if you wont believe in me.

I'm serious about this so let's look at the numbers:

TikTok has over 150 million active monthly users in the US and the average time spent is one hour per day. Meaning that every day 252 American lifetimes are lost every day.
(150E6 /(24 * 365.25 * 68 [the average lifespan in the US]) ≈ 252 lifetimes per day. And approximately 92 000 lifetimes per year.

Comparing that to roughly 40 million drug abusing people per month aged over 11. Whereof the death toll hovers around 120 000 people per year.

And we are talking deaths compared to lifetimes here.

Further more we can count with that 70 million people are abusing alcohol. Which combined with drugs are about 110 million.

TikTok in comparison have an active user-base of 150 million. As i said: TikTok is Hurtful to a lot of people, more so than alcohol, drugs etc

150 million > 110 million.
Wow 🤣😂
I imagine the comments if somebody would post a screenshot of this comment on another platform (Reddit or something similar). You made it infinitely worse😂

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Not on everything it seems.

Well they voted for the Ukrainian aid so of course if TikTok was also there the outcome was predictable.
Also I've seen how old US politicians are, most don;t know what TikTok is in the first place.

It's not proof at all, not that it's not relevant, it's not even proof.

The Senate voted 79 to 18 in favor of the bill, which was attached to a measure to provide $95 billion in mostly military aid for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan.

You seem to miss the point on a regular basis. I won't bother attempting to explain it to you again after this, other than to say you're not going to get "proof" when it contains classified intelligence, and since you're not even living in the USA, that's how it should be. You can stamp your feet and pout as much as you like.

Are you based in mainland China by any chance? Or are you posting AI-generated content?

So Forbes magazine is your source. Really? I'm amazed anyone still reads that rag. The fact is, they were separate bills, passed separately in Congress. The Senate move was for efficiency and for the sake of not having to work too hard :)

Last edited:
  • Love

NeutraLNinja

Suspended
May 7, 2024
You seem to miss the point on a regular basis. I won't bother attempting to explain it to you again after this, other than to say you're not going to get "proof" when it contains classified intelligence, and since you're not even living in the USA, that's how it should be. You can stamp your feet and pout as much as you like.
You seem to say that for lack of real arguments.
That, if there's any such proof at all.
There's nothing indicating any such "classified intelligence" exists in the first place.
Also, do not forget that over 11.000 US Americans work for TikTok and no leaks, no nothing?

Are you based in mainland China by any chance? Or are you posting AI-generated content?
Why exactly do you ask this?
Why would what I write be AI generated?

So Forbes magazine is your source. Really? I'm amazed anyone still reads that rag. The fact is, they were separate bills, passed separately in Congress. The Senate move was for efficiency and for the sake of not having to work too hard :)
Well I posted a second source, or would you say that Reuters is some Chinese controlled media?

NeutraLNinja

Suspended
May 7, 2024
You lost a thought to some numbers bro, it ain't personal. Don't do that to yourself.
Well you ignored the destroyed lives of those around drug and alcohol users.
Your numbers are wrong anyway, you consider absolutely every TikTok user(even those that watch educational, useful stuff on the platform) worst than drug users. Even suggesting something like this is wrong, very wrong.

Last edited:

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
I thought so. He/she/it is in China! Probably makes a living off of TikTok in some way.

So I've ignored he/she/it. I've been feeding the sealion for long enough and am running low on fish.

NeutraLNinja

Suspended
May 7, 2024
I thought so. He/she/it is in China! Probably makes a living off of TikTok in some way.
it? 🤣🤣 really funny. A lot of people make a living off of TikTok? What do you want to say? What are you going to accuse these people of?

So I've ignored he/she/it. I've been feeding the sealion for long enough and am running low on fish.

You didn't do anything really, because of the lack of any real arguments and concrete information you went with the supposition that there must be some very very "secret intelligence" nobody knows about, or gave absolutely any indication it exist.

The Apple Bitch

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2024
Well you ignored the destroyed lives of those around drug and alcohol users.
Your numbers are wrong anyway, you consider absolutely every TikTok user(even those that watch educational, useful stuff on the platform) worst than drug users. Even suggesting something like this is wrong, very wrong.
Yes, I ignored the surrounding people. I did that for both TikTok, drugs and alcohol. The numbers aren't wrong, they are inclusive, as I stated. I am not making suggestions. I'm simply stating that there is a real reason for the TikTok-ban that isn't rooted in politics, international affairs or conspiracy theories.

• Love
Reactions: rehkram

NeutraLNinja

Suspended
May 7, 2024
Yes, I ignored the surrounding people. I did that for both TikTok, drugs and alcohol.
Very kind of you.
How would somebody that uses TikTok for 1hour per day affect the lives of people around him? Makes no sense.

The numbers aren't wrong, they are inclusive, as I stated. I am not making suggestions. I'm simply stating that there is a real reason for the TikTok-ban that isn't rooted in politics, international affairs or conspiracy theories.
The numbers and the hole argument is extremely ridiculous.
Comparing somebody using an app with drug use. Why doesn't the US just ban smartphones and computers altogether? according to your logic it would fix some huge problems.

I am not making suggestions. I'm simply stating that there is a real reason for the TikTok-ban

What about an Instagram ban? a Facebook ban? a ban for X(Twitter)? For Youtube? Snapchat? etc.
Your logic applies to them even more. Facebook for example has been literally proved to do shady stuff, was also fined for it in Europe and the US.

chmania

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2023
I'm simply stating that there is a real reason for the TikTok-ban that isn't rooted in politics, international affairs or conspiracy theories.
Everything is rooted in politics. Have you ever heard of a politician, who has our well-being in their hearts?

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Yes, I ignored the surrounding people. I did that for both TikTok, drugs and alcohol. The numbers aren't wrong, they are inclusive, as I stated. I am not making suggestions. I'm simply stating that there is a real reason for the TikTok-ban that isn't rooted in politics, international affairs or conspiracy theories.
It's probably "all of the above" plus a few more. Let's make a list:

international affairs (add these to its sublist: spying, theft of IP, espionage, election interference etc)
culture warfare (add conspiracy theories, drug abuse etc to its sublist)
child abuse (add thought-grooming etc to its sublist)
politics (a broad term that all of the above encapsulates)

Folks defending China and TikTok might want to work on improving China before attempting to convert the rest of the world. I've lived by the maxims that "truth conquers all" and "there are no compromises with evil". I'd be in prison or worse if I were Chinese, so you're probably stuck with your current system. It ain't gonna happen here. Hopefully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.